Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan89

Jimmy Gullibon to PSU--Mistake IMO

Yeah, the talent in the PSU wrestling room and the coaching staff were never going to help him make it to the next level.

Contrary to popular belief, getting the piss beat out of you everyday is not the best for everyone's development

Another wrestler I wonder about is Isaac Jordan. I realize he was going to WI at birth because of family, but it seemed like he didn't develop much in 4 years. He came in really good but never got over the hump. Would a different environment have benefited him?

Another wrestler I wonder about is Isaac Jordan. I realize he was going to WI at birth because of family, but it seemed like he didn't develop much in 4 years. He came in really good but never got over the hump. Would a different environment have benefited him?

would've been nice to see him join the rest of the family in Columbus for his senior year

I have a feeling we'll be saying the same thing about Joey McKenna in a few years. 

I have a feeling we'll be saying the same thing about Joey McKenna in a few years.

I posted on another thread that he stopped improving the minute he set foot on the Standford campus. I hate to say it, because I was always a fan of his in HS and believe it's important that the top academic schools be goood at wrestling. But it's true. He has not evolved at all and may have lost that mental toughness and sharpness he once had.

I think he was stuck in a talent laden room and had to wrestle at a heavier weight than he should. Coming out of high school he was a 125 and the last two years he should have been a 133. I think he "took one for the team" so to speak and from an individual perspective may have been better in a different room. 

That having been said the guy is a DI AA, a 4-year letter winner in the best program in college wrestling, and received a college degree. All great accomplishments which most people cannot claim.

As far as wrestlers not developing in college, it happens all the time and is a phenomena which we will see more often. With kids wrestling year round they are developing faster and many reach their peak development in high school as opposed to college like they did yesteryear. 

No offense to Luke Karam & Ryan Pomrinca, but maybe he should transfer to Lehigh and fill the gap at 141. Buxton and the LVAC would be nice homecoming for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No offense to Luke Karam & Ryan Pomrinca, but maybe he should transfer to Lehigh and fill the gap at 141. Buxton and the LVAC would be nice homecoming for him.

I think that's the right move. I always felt that way, even as he was making his decision.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

If someone has reached their peak development in HS, it's not because they couldn't get any better. No one is close to a finished product at that level and age. If they don't get better in college, it's because something else went wrong.

There is great improvement to be made even with kids like Spencer Lee, Fix, Steveson, Hall, etc.

Edited by bigmik

Believe it or not Jimmy had best career of any of top 10 from 2012 class with exception of Jason Tsitiris. 3 time team champion. 4 yr starter. One time AA. Here is 2012 top 10 in order. Jason Tsitiris, Taylor Massa, Jimmy Guilibon, Jordan Rogers, John Meeks, Alec Cisneros, Mark Grey, Doug Vollaro, Niko Reyes, Devin Peterson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

If someone has reached their peak development in HS, it's not because they couldn't get any better. No one is close to a finished product at that level and age. If they don't get better in college, it's because something else went wrong.

There is great improvement to be made even with kids like Spencer Lee, Fix, Steveson, Hall, etc.

I don'tr agree. It's the standard S-Curve in action. A person has only so much ability in whatever endeavor they peruse be it academic or athletic. Some people just get math or language and others were gifted with physical attributes but regardless you reach a maximum potential at a certain point, or at least the rate of improvement begins to decline to the point where you reach the law of diminishing returns. Some kids reach the peak of the S-Curve earlier than others. Another thing to consider is not everybody has the same potential. 

I don'tr agree. It's the standard S-Curve in action. A person has only so much ability in whatever endeavor they peruse be it academic or athletic. Some people just get math or language and others were gifted with physical attributes but regardless you reach a maximum potential at a certain point, or at least the rate of improvement begins to decline to the point where you reach the law of diminishing returns. Some kids reach the peak of the S-Curve earlier than others. Another thing to consider is not everybody has the same potential.

If you can't get any better than you are in HS, something else has went wrong. No one has reached a maximum potential as at that stage. I understand the S curve, but that doesn't apply here. Of course not everyone has the same potential, that's obvious.

If you can't get any better than you are in HS, something else has went wrong. No one has reached a maximum potential as at that stage. I understand the S curve, but that doesn't apply here. Of course not everyone has the same potential, that's obvious.

With year round wrestling, high level club coaching, access to all kinds of summer camps, a kid can and in some cases does reach his potential before leaving high school. Now that will not be true of most kids but I assure you it is for some. This would not have been the case 20 or even 10 years ago but times have changed.  

And keep  in mind growth is relative. You and I may have the exact same potential but if I am better trained earlier in my life I may appear to have more potential but in reality only reached it earlier. 

Oh and the S-Curve always applies in some form. 

Edited by Zebra

Believe it or not Jimmy had best career of any of top 10 from 2012 class with exception of Jason Tsitiris. 3 time team champion. 4 yr starter. One time AA. Here is 2012 top 10 in order. Jason Tsitiris, Taylor Massa, Jimmy Guilibon, Jordan Rogers, John Meeks, Alec Cisneros, Mark Grey, Doug Vollaro, Niko Reyes, Devin Peterson

Wow that's an interesting tidbit. Where were Gilman and Clark in that list? Gulibon should've committed to Iowa before Clark. Iowa has clearly got the most from their lower weights.

With year round wrestling, high level club coaching, access to all kinds of summer camps, a kid can and in some cases does reach his potential before leaving high school. Now that will not be true of most kids but I assure you it is for some. This would not have been the case 20 or even 10 years ago but times have changed.  

And keep  in mind growth is relative. You and I may have the exact same potential but if I am better trained earlier in my life I may appear to have more potential but in reality only reached it earlier. 

Oh and the S-Curve always applies in some form. 

This is not female gymnastics, where they are maxed out physically aT 14.  

This is a physical endeavor.  Dudes don't reach their physical potential at 18.  

Edited by Plasmodium

This is not female gymnastics, where they are maxed out physically aT 14.  

This is a physical endeavor.  Dudes don't reach their physical potential at 18.  

Getting bigger and gaining muscle does not mean growth except in the physical sense. Wrestling growth and physical growth are not the same. Regardless of who you are you only have so much potential, adding 10 pounds of muscle and growing another inch does not make you gain potential. If the only area in an individuals various attributes (size, quickness, intelligence, etc.) they have not reached maximum potential is in physical size they will not advance much at the college level since everybody is still growing.

There is simply a point where you have to put in an exceeding larger amount of effort to achieve a limited amount of return. That is a fact. 

Edited by Zebra

Wow that's an interesting tidbit. Where were Gilman and Clark in that list? Gulibon should've committed to Iowa before Clark. Iowa has clearly got the most from their lower weights.

I believe Gulibon beat up on Clark at the Dapper Dan.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk