Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Nolf vs. Pico

…and we just saw Joseph wear Imar out as well. Just goes to show how hard it is to predict results sometimes.  

I think IMAR was stunned. Not at the result, I think he took a shot to the head somewhere in that match and was literally stunned for a good deal of it. Look at his eyes during the match. He looked kind of dull, like he was lost or something.

Sounds like wrestling is up in the air at this point? One thing that frustrated me is that it always appeared like Pico's career was being rushed. I guess his ultimate goal was MMA but he is so young, he could of wrestled in college or at least stuck with international a while and still been plenty young enough to chase his MMA dreams. Seems like he barley got started on the senior circuit and now he may be gone for good. 

Fully agree with this, but I can see his point of view too. He is an insanely gifted boxer. Obviously, his wrestling credentials are better because he spent the majority of his life focused on that sport, but Pico has insane hand speed and power. As good as he was at wrestling, he is an even better MMA prospect.

As mentioned, he has stated he's open to coming back and even once said he will eventually give it another go, but things change, so who knows? If he has wild sucesss in MMA and starts to get paid top dollar, it's hard to see him take a hiatus from fighting for a crack at amateur glory. 

Also,  his long-time coach Valentin Kalika will be moving to NYC to help run the Columbia NYC RTC (with Kendall Cross), so I'm not sure what that will do to Pico's wrestling ambitions.

Sounds like wrestling is up in the air at this point? One thing that frustrated me is that it always seemed like Pico's career was being rushed. I guess his ultimate goal was MMA but he is so young, he could of wrestled in college or at least stuck with international a while and still been plenty young enough to chase his MMA dreams. Seems like he barley got started on the senior circuit and now he may be gone for good.

When he was wrestling, I disagreed with the approach that his coaches had him take when he was wrestling seniors. They pretty much tried to have a kid physically beat down grown men. Bad approach, and still Pico almost pulled it off at the trials!

it's a discredit to Zain, who actually has put in the effort, in saying that Pico would beat him in folk. Maybe you are right and he would...but, again, that remains to be seen. What HAS BEEN seen, however, is that Zain is a beast in Folk.

I never said Pico would beat Zain in folk, at least not on this thread. I actually said I'd like to see the rematch now that Zain has improved a lot since their last encounter.

Pretty sure Pico has stated he will continue wrestling around his MMA career. I think he's just a true martial artist and likes to compete in all forms whether striking or grappling. I too think he will be up a weight class, especially with the new weight classes. That's why I am so intrigued by a possible Nolf meeting vs Zain.

If he wants to make millions MMAwould probably be a better tour than international wrestling. From what I hear his striking is getting even better as time goes on. I highly doubt we will see him wrestle again if he finds the success his talents can provide in MMA.

If he wants to make millions MMAwould probably be a better tour than international wrestling. From what I hear his striking is getting even better as time goes on. I highly doubt we will see him wrestle again if he finds the success his talents can provide in MMA.

Hope he doesn't end up punch drunk at the age of 30, when he could've had a college degree and a job that doesn't require multiple shots to the head every time he goes to work. Money is a poor substitute for a fully functional brain.

Hope he doesn't end up punch drunk at the age of 30, when he could've had a college degree and a job that doesn't require multiple shots to the head every time he goes to work. Money is a poor substitute for a fully functional brain.

As big as an MMA fan as I am, and I am excited to see how he will perform, I agree with you. That is the trade off and the risk with MMA. I would respect that decision whole heartedly, but money is a hell of drug.

I'm looking forward to when the next domestic FS tourney comes around, Pico shows up at 70kg, and runs into either one of Nolf and/or Oliver.  If he gains even more, comes in at 74kg, and runs into any combo of JB, Dake, Howe or Mark "Freaking" Hall...

Being away for months (or a year?) on end from the "elite" levels of freestyle will hurt EVERYONE...

Those FS guys usually struggle on the mat. I bet Retherford would grind him to dust in folkstyle.

You know he never beat Steiber again after that first match because Steiber wasn't dumb enough to go down again. I highly doubt Pico would have to go down against him because he can beat him on his feet, just as he has done numerous times in freestyle. In 6 matches I think Zane has 1 takedown.

I never said Pico would beat Zain in folk, at least not on this thread. I actually said I'd like to see the rematch now that Zain has improved a lot since their last encounter.

It was just 2016 that they were in the same tournament, so not that long ago. Pico finished ahead of Zane and came within an eyelash of making the team.

It was just 2016 that they were in the same tournament, so not that long ago. Pico finished ahead of Zane and came within an eyelash of making the team.

I know all that. But my statement stands. Zain has improved a lot even from then. I'm talking folkstyle when I say that. If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably pick Pico, but it wouldn't be the same match you saw in freestyle.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Why do popele just assume Pico would be as good in folkstyle? Zain would absolutely dominate Pico on the mat and there is no way he could hang with Nolf's pace fro 7 minutes. 

What makes you assume with all his talent he wouldn't have done just fine at folkstyle. 

Pretty sure Pico has stated he will continue wrestling around his MMA career. I think he's just a true martial artist and likes to compete in all forms whether striking or grappling. I too think he will be up a weight class, especially with the new weight classes. That's why I am so intrigued by a possible Nolf meeting vs Zain.

I am not so sure, he had an injury wake up call and has said he is going to take better care of his body training and competition wise. Trying to do both would make that pretty hard.  

What makes you assume with all his talent he wouldn't have done just fine at folkstyle. 

We are going back to this?  It's all speculation..Pico chose not to wrestle folkstyle. He would have done "just fine", likely better than "just fine" if he went to the OTC/UNI route. He chose to go to train "his way". It didn't work out.

Look what happened to Kyle Snyder when he chose to go to the OTC and to Ohio State.  He's achieving legendary status while in college, as well as, internationally. 

We are going back to this?  It's all speculation..Pico chose not to wrestle folkstyle. He would have done "just fine", likely better than "just fine" if he went to the OTC/UNI route. He chose to go to train "his way". It didn't work out.

Look what happened to Kyle Snyder when he chose to go to the OTC and to Ohio State.  He's achieving legendary status while in college, as well as, internationally.

Picos #1 hater rears his ugly head