Sign in to follow this  
bigmik

Mark Hall

Just as soon as Hall hit that stance -- my first words were "oh no don't ". My first thought, and I recall vividly….the professor will develop a (short ?) lesson plan for you Mr Mark Hall. 

Lets get real here they pull his redshirt after he wins Southern Scuffle against some tough 174ers. Everyone he wrestles he looks two weight classes smaller and his two matches against  Bo he looks 20 pounds smaller and you want to find fault . Wait till next year when he gets bigger and stronger . If he would of been 165 this year he would of toyed with Imar yes I said it and  Vine Joseph is awesome . Hall might not win 3-4 titles but he is the real deal and he will be fun to watch next 3 years .           

Lets get real here they pull his redshirt after he wins Southern Scuffle against some tough 174ers. Everyone he wrestles he looks two weight classes smaller and his two matches against  Bo he looks 20 pounds smaller and you want to find fault . Wait till next year when he gets bigger and stronger . If he would of been 165 this year he would of toyed with Imar yes I said it and  Vine Joseph is awesome . Hall might not win 3-4 titles but he is the real deal and he will be fun to watch next 3 years .           

maccky I could not have said it any better than you just said it. I was (am) simply thinking that Cael may, sometime in the near future, say something to Mark about his behavior.  Such as, you may have bordered on 'showing off' ? Just sayin'

Denny,

I don't get it is Mark pose worse then Imar winning title last year beating on his chest posing not to mention he is a bully . Bo Nickels won a few times this year not any better . Hall was excited because he was the smaller underdog that won. How about when Darren Caldwell beating the big bad bully Brent Metcalf in the final and he did a backflip and Brent shoved him after . So many  more examples but I don't have time             

better or worse isn't the point.  Either you have a strict definition for sportsmanship or you have a more liberal allowance for what sportsmanship includes.  I personally think it includes shaking your opponents hand without facing away from him, or slapping it, or having the ref drag your arm to the opponent, and/or sprinting off the mat after a loss following any of the above actions.  Excessive celebrations after winning **during** the handshake should be avoided.  Anything else to me is fair play.  I don't care about preprogrammed and rehearsed speeches or excessive displays of emotion before and after the handshake.  Words can be carefully chosen and are not always genuine.  Winning and losing are emotional.  However, other vocal critics love the former and hate the later.  So where are they on this display?   I am not really calling out Hall at all.  He was great (although I get the stalling argument).  I am more calling out the fans that suggest Penn St (and/or every other team) are great sportsman and Iowa are thugs. 

In case anyone is confused, what I'm getting at is: How many NCAA titles will Hall finish win in his next three tournaments? Or how many titles does he finish his career with?

He won't be a 4 timer if Zahid stays at 174. If not, Bo might be able to challenge him next year, but with his injuries and Hall's likely improvement, I don't see Bo stopping him.

He won't be a 4 timer if Zahid stays at 174. If not, Bo might be able to challenge him next year, but with his injuries and Hall's likely improvement, I don't see Bo stopping him.

Mark Hall is just as likely to beat Zahid 3 more times - should it come to that - than Zahid is to beat him.

Hall has way better every-day workout partners.

Yeah, Sunkist gets a lot of transient guys coming in to workout, but so does NLWC (and Army's WCAP FS guys - Matt Brown).

Not to mention, Nolf, Joseph, Nickal & Rasheed. And Casey Cunningham.

As for Hall's pose (which, personally I didn't care for), it may also have been a shot at the Illinois guy - the one that got pinned by his teammate the match before - that threw out the unsolicited tweet after the Meyer loss. Or the social media know-it-alls that stated he should have remained in red-shirt, that he was too small, that he may not AA, etc., etc.)

Mark Hall is just as likely to beat Zahid 3 more times - should it come to that - than Zahid is to beat him.

Hall has way better every-day workout partners.

Yeah, Sunkist gets a lot of transient guys coming in to workout, but so does NLWC (and Army's WCAP FS guys - Matt Brown).

Not to mention, Nolf, Joseph, Nickal & Rasheed. And Casey Cunningham.

As for Hall's pose (which, personally I didn't care for), it may also have been a shot at the Illinois guy - the one that got pinned by his teammate the match before - that threw out the unsolicited tweet after the Meyer loss. Or the social media know-it-alls that stated he should have remained in red-shirt, that he was too small, that he may not AA, etc., etc.)

I think Zahid is that good. I didn't say that as a slight to Mark. Zahid was well on his way to winning that match prior to the weird call. He took like 15 shots to Mark's what?

I think Zahid is that good. I didn't say that as a slight to Mark. Zahid was well on his way to winning that match prior to the weird call. He took like 15 shots to Mark's what?

He didn't score a takedown. Hall scored the only takedown of the match.

I'm a Californian, I know how good Zahid is and I'm not discounting him. I have family that was in the room with him. I had him as the favorite to win it.

But I had never seen the two of them wrestle each other. 

Hall has wrestled him "thousands of time" (according to Hall - an exaggeration, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt).  Zahid shot more than Hall, but Hall countered and blocked every one - except the inadvertent head-gear pull (which was NOT done on purpose).

Hall converted on the outside trip Zahid attempted by working the inside trip into the takedown. Zahid was having difficulty with mat-returns. Hall wasn't. He didn't attempt a lot, but he was in better position than Zahid every time.

Mark Hall will be a LOT better once he grows into the 174 class, and Zahid should go 184 as he looks like 174 will be tough to stay at.

It would probably also help out his brother and the team overall. I'd pick Zahid to win 184 next year if he bumps up.

Edited by bigmik

Mark Hall will be a LOT better once he grows into the 174 class, and Zahid should go 184 as he looks like 174 will be tough to stay at.

Why do you think he is going to grow into 174 when he has to maintain 74 kg for the freestyle season (74 kg * 2.2 lb/kg = 162.8 lb)?  They are switching to day of weigh ins...Maybe the new weights will have the olympic weight closer to 174 lb, but that is currently not yet known. It seems dumb to grow his body out of the weight only to have to cut back again for freestyle.  

So you do think that Mark will have a spurt left in him ? In which case he becomes a bonfide sized 74 pounder. I was taken back when I first saw him wrestling the rather larger 74 guys.

In so far as Z Val goes, he has a big frame on him. He is an 84 pounder hiding in a 74 weight class.

Jeez it was so interesting for me to watch Hall roll through 174 at the national tourney. Fun 

Edited by denny

So you do think that Mark will have a spurt left in him ? In which case he becomes a bonfide sized 74 pounder. I was taken back when I first saw him wrestling the rather larger 74 guys.

In so far as Z Val goes, he has a big frame on him. He is an 84 pounder hiding in a 74 weight class.

Jeez it was so interesting for me to watch Hall roll through 174 at the national tourney. Fun

I am not banking on a growth spurt, I am banking on him adding mass just from getting older, diet, and lifting.

You can't honestly tell me you thInk that takedown wasn't heavily influenced by the headgear call. Give me a break.

What does this have to do with Anything? Fact is Z Val pulled the headgear which is an illegal move. Fact is Hall scored a Takedown. You can cry about the circumstances but at the end of the day., Hall scored.

Anyone who thinks that pulling down on the headgear doesn't help you complete a TD has probably never wrestled. There are two reasons for that rule.

1. To avoid injury like the facemask rule in football.

2. To prevent an unfair advantage by cranking your opponents head around while you initiate a shot.

I'm not saying Zahid did that intentionally but there is no question from the replay that it assisted in the TD.

I'm not saying Zahid did that intentionally but there is no question from the replay that it assisted in the TD.

Not only that, but Zahid himself admitted to doing it (inadvertently) in the interview following his 3rd place match. It was a very astute observation by Cunnigham.

Whether or not it helped the TD is irrelevant (for the record, I think it did). He broke the rules and deserved the penalty and the TD was correctly and rightfully nullified.

Unfortunate sequence of events, but good reffing.

What does this have to do with Anything? Fact is Z Val pulled the headgear which is an illegal move. Fact is Hall scored a Takedown. You can cry about the circumstances but at the end of the day., Hall scored.

I'm not denying that. I am denying that Hall should be given credit for getting the takedown on Zahid, by claiming that the he would've gotten it anyways, as implied by the person I responded to.

Ice cream. We're gonna have ice cream. That will pack on some extra weight. Not the sort of weight that Mark really wants in order to 'look' larger. 

I personally like strawberry. Got to get to the gym today.