Sign in to follow this  
kionga

Big Ten Dominance

This past weekend the Big Ten had 36 All-Americans (45%), 12 Semi-Finalists (60%), and 7 National Champions (70%).

Three of the top four team scores, and eight of the top thirteen were Big Ten schools.

Will the BIG be even better next year?  I have read several posts from PSU fans that the Nittany Lions may be even better, especially with a healthy Nick Suriano.  Ohio State fans have posted that the Buckeyes should field a stronger team next season.  I, and some other Michigan fans, have written that the Wolverines should be vastly improved.

What about the rest of the Big Ten schools?  I really enjoy reading forecasts such as the one below on Missouri next year.  It would be great if fans of the other Big Ten schools gave their opinions on the outlook for their team in 2018.

A bit redundant but, I see Michigan having 10 qualifiers next year versus 7 (only 5 were healthy).  I think they could have 6 AA (Micic, Pantaleo, Massa, Amine, Abounader, Coon) versus 3, with several of those serious title contenders.

Ain't it nice to have Penn State in your conference.

Without Penn State, The Big Ten is still tough, but only has (using your numbers)

7 semi-finalist (out of 40)

2 National champs out of 10.

Don't get me wrong. Big Ten is still the top dog in wrestling, but Penn State certainly skews their numbers.

If Penn State was their own conference the Penn State Conference would have

5 semi finalist

5 champions

Which would make them significantly tougher than the remaining Big Ten Conference.

Without Penn State, The Big Ten is still tough, but only has (using your numbers)

Don't get me wrong. Big Ten is still the top dog in wrestling, but Penn State certainly skews their numbers.

5 semi finalist

5 champions

Which would make them significantly tougher than the remaining Big Ten Conference.

Yet somehow they didn't even win that conference. Amazing how the sport can work from week to week.

5 semi finalist

5 champions

If Cenzo and Hall lost it would have been to other Big 10 guys.

Haven't looked at the semis.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Nebraska wil likely be down next year.  NU returns 1 AA, 1 who lost in the blood round, and 2 starters who did not qualify.  The remainder graduated.  

Next year NU will be young but talented. There are several NQ level talent wrestlers on the roster, some of which can grow into AAs.  That being said the team also has little depth at some weights.  NU has 1 (so far) 197#, who should be very good, if he gets injured a FR walkon 184 will likely start. 

The B1G 10 does well because those schools have athletic directors and presidents that support wrestling. Those institutions also have the financial resources to support high caliber programs.

The location of several doesn't hurt either. 

5 semi finalist

5 champions

I wonder what conference the PSU wrestlers would be a part of if they hadn't selected Penn State.  Guessing the Big ten still retains most of these wrestlers.

RUTGERS  should be better next season. They return:

NCAA Top 12

Anthony Ashnault-  141 3x AA

Scott Delvecchio- 133 round of 12

Nick Gravina- 184 round of 12

NCAA Qualifiers

Sean McCabe- 125 2016 Q

Anthony Giraldo- 149 2016 Q

John Van Brill- 157 2017 Q

Richie Lewis- 157  2016 Q.  Beat NCAA finalist Lavalee-Missouri 2-0 in this seasons All-Star exhibition and then injured.. RS this seaosn

Jordan Pagano- 174 2017 Q

Matt Correnti- 197 2017 Q

Returning starters

​​Razohnn Gross- 285 6th at B1G Tournament just missed Q

Brandon Paetzall- 125 just missed Q

Top transfer/RSF/Incoming

​Eleazar DeLuca- 149 .Northern Colorado.. 4th in Big 12. 2 years ago could break out

Kevin Mulligan- 197 RSF had around 30 wins this season

Stephen Glasgow- NJ Champ

I'm sure I missed a couple guys but Rutgers will be a tough place to break the line-up.

Edited by NJwrestlingguy