• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

He was a lot less emphatic about a future in football this weekend.

If he can get down to 86KG by June, Taylor may still have to beat him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The bye to the WTT finals is not an advantage."   --- BraunnMann

#2 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:33 AM

i hope he will back to FS, i wanna see his match vs Sadulaev. He's smart guy, he can beat all wrestlers at 86, just not lucky 

• gutfirst likes this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#3 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

Cox gets the auto bid to the finals of WTT even if Taylor wins the US Open, correct? I think it may be best for him to take up to a month "off" to rest his body and mind. He has been competing non stop for over 2 years straight now.

• Angry_Fish likes this

#4 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

It sounded in the interview like the football coach may not want him on the roster.
  • Angry_Fish likes this

#5 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:09 AM

It sounded in the interview like the football coach may not want him on the roster.

I think you're right. The way the situation was previously described, it sounded like Odom was going to honor J'Den's request to try out for the football team as a courtesy. But in the end, it's one less scholarship for a team trying to compete in the toughest football conference. Plus, Cox is missing out on spring practice right now, where he needs to prove himself, and the Black & Gold game is in like three weeks.

• cauliflowerear likes this

#6 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

Lets be honest is Jden planning on making 189 for 4 more years? I know he can but it is hard on him. I know he is only 5 10 or 5 11 so maybe he can make it without killing himself. And also is one of the new weights 198.5??? That would be perfect. Gives him an extra 10lbs. And 213 lurks Snyder. JDen would wrestle him tough but would most likely finish 2nd or 3rd if Varner continues.

#7 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:08 AM

Lets be honest is Jden planning on making 189 for 4 more years? I know he can but it is hard on him. I know he is only 5 10 or 5 11 so maybe he can make it without killing himself. And also is one of the new weights 198.5??? That would be perfect. Gives him an extra 10lbs. And 213 lurks Snyder. JDen would wrestle him tough but would most likely finish 2nd or 3rd if Varner continues.

With as thick and muscular as he is, I can't imagine it being an easy cut. He's massive. 

• PRyan2012 likes this

#8 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

I think you're right. The way the situation was previously described, it sounded like Odom was going to honor J'Den's request to try out for the football team as a courtesy. But in the end, it's one less scholarship for a team trying to compete in the toughest football conference. Plus, Cox is missing out on spring practice right now, where he needs to prove himself, and the Black & Gold game is in like three weeks.

Is there a rule against walk on's?

#9 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

I think the assumption is that Cox wouldn't pay his own way. If he was promised 5 years of scholarship money from the wrestling program, then the scholarship will still count against the football team.  

• sgallan likes this

#10 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

How good a football player is he? 

If he is very good, the coach will want him, I would think, unless the wrestling coach is telling the football coach not to let him.

#11 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

No. Kids do it all the time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#12 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

It will take him 2 to 3 yrs to get his body and mind around the game. He won't be the best athlete on the field either. Mizzou football is big time competition. He just won't get there by August.

He's one of my all time favorites. I hope he does whatever he chooses to do with his life. I really admire him.

Edited by cjc007, 20 March 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#13 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Unless they rearrange the weight classes in 2018 (when they move to 10 weights) so JDen is closer to his college weight, he is not making 86 kg again, in my opinion. Weigh-ins will be same-day in 2018 and onward.

#14 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Unless they rearrange the weight classes in 2018 (when they move to 10 weights) so JDen is closer to his college weight, he is not making 86 kg again, in my opinion. Weigh-ins will be same-day in 2018 and onward.

I think he can make 86 kg this season under the current weight in procedures.

#15 bwh27

bwh27

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

Agree re: 198.  Also I think there's an extremely slim chance that Varner continues and if he did would favor a returning bronze medalist over him after a layoff and at his age assuming Cox fills the weight well.

#16 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

I agree about Varner retiring but I have not heard a for sure yet but Varner did just beat Snyder at trials less than a year ago after going through the mini tourney..... so Cox would have to beat Varner and Snyder to make the team at 213 which I doubt he could do. That is why I am hoping for a 198 and 220 scenario so Cox and Snyder can both be on the team and then Taylor can go 187 and Dake 176 and Burroughs 165. Would be nice to get those 5 guys on the team! We are hurting at 125 and 286. I know Varner does not want to do 286 and I don't blame him.  

#17 mlbruem

mlbruem

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

It will take him 2 to 3 yrs to get his body and mind around the game. He won't be the best athlete on the field either. Mizzou football is big time competition. He just won't get there by August.

He's one of my all time favorites. I hope he does whatever he chooses to do with his life. I really admire him.

Mizzou football stinks - Coach probably is on notice & will be gone before to long - Mizzou had one of the worst recruiting classes

ever this year in football. Saying he will not be the best athlete is crazy - Saying he wont be the best football player is correct.

Mizzou is slotted for last place in the what is a very weak division even if it is part of the SEC.

If he wants to play he can probably make the team but WHY GO THERE.

#18 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

Mizzou football stinks - Coach probably is on notice & will be gone before to long - Mizzou had one of the worst recruiting classes
ever this year in football. Saying he will not be the best athlete is crazy - Saying he wont be the best football player is correct.
Mizzou is slotted for last place in the what is a very weak division even if it is part of the SEC.
If he wants to play he can probably make the team but WHY GO THERE.

He needs to learn the defensive philosophy/terminology.

Mizzou football is in the SEC. I heard that's a decent football conference.

#19 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

They aren't exactly Alabama or Ohio State. More like the mediocre muddling mess of lower expectations like BYU.

#20 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

I agree with you as them not being a national power. That's obvious.
I just can't see taking 4 yrs off from football and being able to immediately start or even make an impact.
Even some of the best talent needs some time to relate to the speed of the game compared to high school.
I hope JDen does whatever makes him happy. He doesn't owe us anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users