Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

Iowa State

I think Cael left because he couldn't have the success he wanted. 

http://www.cyclones.com/news/2009/4/17/3722124.aspx

“During the last week, Cael and I talked numerous times and we had several in-depth and personal discussions about this decision. Those talks included me asking what, if anything, could we do to keep him at Iowa State. I also asked President (Gregory) Geoffroy, Bill Fennellybig_dard%20red.png and Greg McDermott to reach out to Cael and they all did so. In the end, Cael said that he appreciated everything Iowa State and our fans had done for him but he believes winning a national championship will be easier at Penn State. He said the high school talent in Pennsylvania and surrounding states is the best in the country and the kids in that area grow up wanting to wrestle for the Nittany Lions. He also said their overall athletics department resources are the best in the country.”

mspart

Are you new to college wrestling or wrestling period? Travel around the U.S. and you'll see way more ISU wrestling gear then any VT. If Cael had stayed he'd be having the same success at ISU right now.

No he wouldn't, and I'm not talking about just wrestling gear, I'm talking about sweatshirts and t shirts in general.  

I'll be rooting for Coach Dresser to get ISU back on track again but bigger picture, I hope conference realignment doesn't ultimately end up putting ISU athletics in a bad place. The conference shuffling and land grabbing for media dollars and audience share sucks.

Strange and kinda sad to see the cyclones at the bottom of the tournament with 1 point.

hopefully Dresser can restore the rich tradition of the program. No where to go but up.

57   Clarion, PA Clarion, PA (GET) CLAR 2 1.0 57.   Columbia, NY Columbia, NY (GET) COL 2 1.0 57.   Iowa State, IA Iowa State, IA (GET) ISU 3 1.0

I think he is a good hire.  Got a good one in Gomez, and I am not sure if Verkleeran will translate well at the next level...so perhaps no big loss.  I think a strong Iowa State is a good thing. 

Rumblings that Metcalf might be headed to ISU to be an assistant for Dresser. An all Iowa staff would be interesting to say the least. 

Wow.  That would be a huge shakeup.  Maybe to run their freestyle club?

Edited by Billyhoyle

Rumblings that Metcalf might be headed to ISU to be an assistant for Dresser. An all Iowa staff would be interesting to say the least. 

It didn't even occur to me given how recently he took on his new USAW coaching job. Other than the USAW job, does Dresser really need two middleweight coaches from Iowa who were essentially contemporaries? 

^^

You may be right. They have a stud class coming in

Anyone heard why Verklereen decommited?  Ive heard a few different things in talking with a few people from he's been asking for a release and when Dresser was hired he agreed to give it to Dresser pulled his schollie.  The person(s) I spoke to whom I respect the most told me the first was the case - I heard from a few others that Dresser suggested that Verk take the release (I dont trust these stories as much).

Anyone heard why Verklereen decommited?  Ive heard a few different things in talking with a few people from he's been asking for a release and when Dresser was hired he agreed to give it to Dresser pulled his schollie.  The person(s) I spoke to whom I respect the most told me the first was the case - I heard from a few others that Dresser suggested that Verk take the release (I dont trust these stories as much).

When he put out his list of schools he was still considering ISU was on the list.  So if there are any hard feelings or pulled schollies he's keeping it to himself.

When he put out his list of schools he was still considering ISU was on the list. So if there are any hard feelings or pulled schollies he's keeping it to himself.

That's what I thought, but it all seems odd to me. There aren't many available slots out there, unless his parents are OK just paying his way for at least a year.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot of posts here about Cael leaving because he know Iowa State's limitations... at the time, Iowa States athletic department was not in the same position they are in now to invest in wrestling. At that time Pollard was fairly new and we didn't have the funds to invest what we are now. ISU desperately needed upgrades to basketball and football  facilities, which are the main money makers. With renovations to those that put us in competitive with other schools and the new influx of $ from Big12 TV deal, we're in a position where we can invest in it now. If ISU was in that same position financially when Cael left, I believe Pollard would have matched PSU and he would still be at ISU.

Edited by Cyclones

If ISU was in that same position financially when Cael left, I believe Pollard would have matched PSU and he would still be at ISU.

Cael himself stated that one of the main attractions of PSU was the P, i.e. much more fertile recruiting. PSU was not going to be denied. They would've upped the ante even more until Cael bit. After Sunderland, they were not going to misfire on another coaching hire. No way Cael was going to stay in Iowa, especially with U of Iowa as a neighbor, when PSU came calling.

Cael himself stated that one of the main attractions of PSU was the P, i.e. much more fertile recruiting. PSU was not going to be denied. They would've upped the ante even more until Cael bit. After Sunderland, they were not going to misfire on another coaching hire. No way Cael was going to stay in Iowa, especially with U of Iowa as a neighbor, when PSU came calling.

I'm sure he did say that (after the fact), and I don't disagree with him. We'll have to agree to disagree. He told his business partners he owns real estate with in Ames and told his wrestlers at ISU that if ISU had invested in wrestling the way PSU was willing to, he would have stayed in Ames.