Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Does Brands hold back McD tomorrow?

It doesn't seem to be something Brands would do but there really is no benefit to having McDonough wrestle Delgado. McDonough has the 1 seed locked up for B1G's and with Delagado most likely being the 3 seed McDonough may not even see Delgado. Depending on how seeds go for Nationals the last guy to beat McDonough may not even wrestle him. I really would like to see the match but with the current system I don't see why you put him out there.

P.S. To all the tOSU fans please notice I didn't call it pulling a Tom Ryan this time.

If Iowa pulls McD it would be a smart strategic move, and now that you posted this thread, an exposed problem with seeding / ranking systems.

I remember once in my life when I failed to make my 132lb weigh-in despite weighing in successfully prior to our bus ride to the opposing team. I missed the weight by 1/8th of a lb according to their scale?. The kid I was supposed to wrestle was an up and comer, very good, and the outcome of who would win our match was iffy at best. When we had a dual meet with his team I got screwed with the weigh-in at that particular dual meet because of some prior grievance with the two coaches, but when it came to seeding for a big OVAC tournament (ohio valley athletic club) a few weeks later down the road, I was a 3rd seed and he was a 5th seed.

Point is, McD would likely benefit from not competing, unfortunately.

It doesn't seem to be something Brands would do but there really is no benefit to having McDonough wrestle Delgado. McDonough has the 1 seed locked up for B1G's and with Delagado most likely being the 3 seed McDonough may not even see Delgado. Depending on how seeds go for Nationals the last guy to beat McDonough may not even wrestle him. I really would like to see the match but with the current system I don't see why you put him out there.

P.S. To all the tOSU fans please notice I didn't call it pulling a Tom Ryan this time.

Good to see u are coming around:)

Seeing as McD is perfectly healthy and the #1 ranked guy in the nation, Brands will not hold him out simply based on "fear" of losing a B1G seed. Now, if Mcd was nursing an injury and was say, 70%, maybe i could understand holding out. No way in hell does Brands hold out a healthy, multi NCAA Champ #1 ranked wrestler. NO FREAKIN WAY.

So, to put ur mind at ease, go ahead and pay the $10 to see this one MSU. You wont have to worry bout getting a refund bud.

That is absurd McD is a 2x NCAA champ he didn't get there by playing the seeding game. This scenario is neither in Brands or McD dna he will wrestle

Agree.

Brands isn't training anyone to save a seed period.

He is training them to win it all, especially McD.

He is probably thinking "why not beat him 3 times?"

Most people are worried about taking a loss and that is the last thing crossing either of their minds. If it happens they will evaluate and move on. Sitting around and worrying about what could happen is unproductive at best.

Good to see u are coming around:)

Seeing as McD is perfectly healthy and the #1 ranked guy in the nation, Brands will not hold him out simply based on "fear" of losing a B1G seed. Now, if Mcd was nursing an injury and was say, 70%, maybe i could understand holding out. No way in hell does Brands hold out a healthy, multi NCAA Champ #1 ranked wrestler. NO FREAKIN WAY.

So, to put ur mind at ease, go ahead and pay the $10 to see this one MSU. You wont have to worry bout getting a refund bud.

You seem to think it's about the money for me. I have the all access pass, joined FLO and Intermat. I donate as well. I would pay REGARDLESS. My pt. is these actions are disingenuous to the FANS. A lot of fans, not related to wrestlers on the team, pay to see certain match ups and when there is nothing leading them to think a wrestler is being held out I think it is unfair to the fans. I know sports betting is the main reason you get injury reports in many other sports but I would like to at least see a probable, questionable, doubtful and out designation before meets. At least that way you know there is a possibility of someone not wrestling. I understand the need to protect this info in Wrestling but for things to grow I think these things need to change to continue to improve with the Social Media outlets available to take advantage of. Wrestling doesn't have the luxury the major sports do to be flippant with their fan base. 77 DI teams is SAD. I know there are many factors that influence this that are hard to deal with. But, things like this are pretty simple.

I just don't see Brands & McBono playing the seeding game. It doesn't fit in with their whole total-domination theme.

In a similar situation a couple years ago, at the end of the season Boise State went out to Stillwater to wrestle OSU. Oliver was #1 and Hochstrasser was #2. They had already met at the All-Star, and I remember wondering if Oliver would even bother to go through the effort to make weight and wrestle a non-conference match not only putting his #1 ranking on the line but also giving his likely NCAA finals opponent another chance to figure him out. Well he did wrestle (and won of course), and I definitely gained a lot more respect for Oliver for not ducking a match that had a lot of risk and probably zero reward.

Brands wouldn't but Brian Smith would.

you got that right and it looks like it backfired on BS as it cost him a shot at winning the dual with OSU. If you ask me the whole thing is BS (pun intended)!

If Brands did this, it would totally fly in the face of everything he represents. There is no way I can see it happening.

I can't see any amateur athlete who loves his sport and recognizes he/she has finite amount of time to compete in it ever standing for this either. I used to literally have nightmares that I was going to miss a game (yes I played on game -- did not wrestle) due to injury, sickness, over sleeping, car breaks down or whatever..... I honestly would wake up in a panic. The notion of skipping a competition b/c I might lose was not something remotely fathomable. And I was nowhere near the type of elite athlete that is being discussed in this thread. I can only imagine these guys feelings on this subject would be 10x stronger than mine. I would expect them to go ape **** over the suggestion of skipping a meet b/c they might lose -- a meet they could never get back the rest of their lives.

At least I sure as hell hope they would feel that way. I feel my blood pressure rising just thinking that someone might possibly think about skipping an event for this kind of reason.

I'm still pissed about the fact that a game was cancelled (and never made up) my soph year in HS due to a power failure. And I'm 45 this month. In all likelihood we were going to get trashed by that team too.

This thread really pisses me off.

bigrig-I still wake up with those same nightmares and I've been retired from wrestling for over a decade now. Lol. There is no way that McD or Brands would do this. As a closet MU fan I thought it was very p***y of Smith to hold Dom out. It's strategically smart for sure, don't get me wrong, but it's extremely p***y. I have no doubt that Tom Brands would not do this. It goes against every reason I'm a diehard Iowa fan.

How about if Nico loses to delgado in semis of B10 by a 6 min F: I'm guessing your seeding would be wrong. Don't forget Mega loss to Zanetta and JD. I'm actually pushing for Garnett over JD at NCAAs cause he beat both JD and Cory Clark one of JDs 3 losses.If Triggas gets his act together it is possible one of these guys loses 2 at the real B12(as opposed to small 4) and if Jarrod beats Kraiser(they've split so far 10-4, 1-9) at ACCs he should get nod over the loser at B1G making it McD, Waters Mega Garnett or Garret and then Delgado and probably some of the Srs. like triggas, Sprenkle Cullinan or Snyder rounding it out, as a more likely and much better scenario toward getting best guys to 1/4s with separation. "Course if grasshoppers had machine guns the crows wouldn't eat them"

Sorry about hijack. I don't think Brands or McD avoid and it is likely your seeds are correct, as Triggas, Boyle and Thorn are not on the same plateau. Although 125 is very strong this season it is spread over many conferences. That said it is likely they place 4 at NCAAs

I don't know if 'fear' is a good word for it.

There are a lot of coaches that sit guys in order to preserve seeds. Hurt or not, if you don't wrestle a head to head it should affect seeds come tournament time.

I don't know if 'fear' is a good word for it.

There are a lot of coaches that sit guys in order to preserve seeds. Hurt or not, if you don't wrestle a head to head it should affect seeds come tournament time.

I'm in agreement with this. Come BIG 10 tournament time if both Steiber and Ramos are undefeated, I feel strongly, very strongly that Ramos should be given the #1 seed and Steiber the #2.