Will Snyder compete next year?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Stallpoint

Stallpoint
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Kyle Snyder has future aspirations in freestyle and MMA. Why would he risk injury in folkstyle next year? I would not be surprised if he did not compete in his senior year.

#2 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Is he locked in on an MMA career post wrestling?

#3 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Ohio state can win the title next year. Yes he will be back.
  • NYWRESTLER94 likes this

#4 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

He tweeted that he wants to fight in the UFC and a rumor came out this morning that he was in talks to compete sooner rather than later.

He also is on a team with guys like Nato, who are very open about their MMA goals.

#5 Old_Marine_Wrestler

Old_Marine_Wrestler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

He wants to be a 4 time finalist, 3 time champ. He's stated that as a goal.

I like NIke but wait a minute, the sport supports so put some money in it

#6 Stallpoint

Stallpoint
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

http://www.foxsports...ediately-091216

#7 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

He also is on a team with guys like Nato, who are very open about their MMA goals.

Is this true? I know he boxes a lot but I've never heard him say he was going MMA after college. I've only heard him say he wants to win a world title. It wouldn't surprise me, I'm just curious.

#8 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

Is this true? I know he boxes a lot but I've never heard him say he was going MMA after college. I've only heard him say he wants to win a world title. It wouldn't surprise me, I'm just curious.

Maybe I'm wrong? I could've sworn he has spoken about it consistently.

#9 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

I've never heard Nate Tomasello talk about having an interest in MMA.  I don't know him personally but no interview I've read has mentioned it.  

#10 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

Ryan has threatened to vaccinate Snyder's first born if he leaves the team.

Edited by LemonPie, 20 March 2017 - 01:09 PM.

• TobusRex, denger, Billyhoyle and 3 others like this

Anyone but Heil '18

#11 tbert

tbert

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

Kyle Snyder has future aspirations in freestyle and MMA. Why would he risk injury in folkstyle next year? I would not be surprised if he did not compete in his senior year.

What's so different about next year than this year?
He had just as much to risk this year by competing in the NCAA
MAGA!

#12 AIW-HS

AIW-HS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Why would Snyder really care about a 3rd NCAA title when it opens him to the very real possibility of injury?  His focus rightfully should be on international competition.  I really don't see what he gets out of wrestling folkstyle anymore.

#13 tbert

tbert

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

Why would Snyder really care about a 3rd NCAA title when it opens him to the very real possibility of injury? His focus rightfully should be on international competition. I really don't see what he gets out of wrestling folkstyle anymore.

Maybe ...Enjoyment and loyalty to a program that lets him do both.
MAGA!

#14 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

I am pretty sure he said he was. 

#15 ironmonkey

ironmonkey

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Why would Snyder really care about a 3rd NCAA title when it opens him to the very real possibility of injury?  His focus rightfully should be on international competition.  I really don't see what he gets out of wrestling folkstyle anymore.

Maybe the companionship of his teammates?  The thrill of the team race?   These things are a big part of what I loved about college wrestling.  I don't see why being super successful would make these any less satisfying for him. 

Maybe The building of his brand?  The NCAA tournament on ESPN draws a lot of viewers relative to other wrestling events. 

I have no experience whatsoever in MMA except as a fan but from what I have followed, the injury rate there far exceeds wrestling in any style.  A significant % don't even make it to their fights, getting hurt in training.  I wonder what those that think folkstyle hurts freestyle performance think of jujitsu and training off your back for hours at a time.   

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#16 pjm46

pjm46

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

He tweeted that he wants to fight in the UFC and a rumor came out this morning that he was in talks to compete sooner rather than later.

Tbf he tweeted that while in attendance at UFC 203 in Cleveland after Ohio native Stipe Miocic starched Overeem.

It could have been a heat of the moment thing. A lot of top wrestlers show interest but Snyder has a chance to go down as the US GOAT wrestler.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#17 tloger

tloger
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

He already has a world title and an Olympic gold, 2 NCAA championships. He doesn't really have too much else to prove other then improving his credentials to become a multi-timer. MMA is more attractive then a lot of people think to these kids finishing their collegiate careers. Promotions are really hungry for talent that can be a draw. Snyder would be a BIG draw. Especially since he is a big man, Light Heavy's and Heavyweights are hard pressed for talent in those divisions.

Edited by tloger, 20 March 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#18 cornercoach

cornercoach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

...we were in a sports bar in Ft. Walton beach Florida this evening- and MMA was on one of the TV's- I hate it, put it right up there with dog fighting,  but looked up a few times and watched....  younger guy, looked like a wrestler, fighting an older rough looking guy.... the young guy takes a body shot, then a head shot, and gets finished off with a kick (the older guys shin bone) right in the forehead/bridge of the nose- my wife noticed that the young guys left leg went rigid and non-responsive for several seconds, then he went down, and the older guy hit him several more times before the official intervened and called the fight. Had to be a brain jolt or spinal issue to make that leg react like it did. If that looks like fun, or appears to be a good way to make quick money, I am missing something. If it were just fist fighting, wrestling and submission- maybe.  The kicking is deadly- your one leg stroke away  from permanent injury and/or death. I hope he finishes at tOSU, continues freestyle, and gets a nice corporate job somewhere...

• Cletus_Tucker, Alyosha and de4856 like this

#19 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

I wonder as well.    Snyder suffered a rib injury at the NCAA tournament and had to have had it be a  wake up  call.    Had that rib been broken, it would have been a major set back for his international career.   

He won 2 titles, he's been in the final every year, and he's viewed as the best wrestler in college.  3 titles has been done by lots of guys.   It's not like he set out to win 3 and he's trying to achieve that goal.   He will fall short of the goal anyways, even if he gets 3.     I think he's done.     

• cjc007 likes this

#20 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Maybe the companionship of his teammates?  The thrill of the team race?   These things are a big part of what I loved about college wrestling.  I don't see why being super successful would make these any less satisfying for him. 

Maybe The building of his brand?  The NCAA tournament on ESPN draws a lot of viewers relative to other wrestling events. 

I have no experience whatsoever in MMA except as a fan but from what I have followed, the injury rate there far exceeds wrestling in any style.  A significant % don't even make it to their fights, getting hurt in training.  I wonder what those that think folkstyle hurts freestyle performance think of jujitsu and training off your back for hours at a time.   

Injuries while competing are the least of the problems, the traumatic brain injuries they get while fighting will screw up their lives from age 40 on. If you can make good money wrestling, and Snyder can, I would hope he doesn't go that route.  

• Alyosha likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users