Sign in to follow this  
Stallpoint

Will Snyder compete next year?

Is he locked in on an MMA career post wrestling?

He tweeted that he wants to fight in the UFC and a rumor came out this morning that he was in talks to compete sooner rather than later.

He also is on a team with guys like Nato, who are very open about their MMA goals.

He also is on a team with guys like Nato, who are very open about their MMA goals.

Is this true? I know he boxes a lot but I've never heard him say he was going MMA after college. I've only heard him say he wants to win a world title. It wouldn't surprise me, I'm just curious.

Is this true? I know he boxes a lot but I've never heard him say he was going MMA after college. I've only heard him say he wants to win a world title. It wouldn't surprise me, I'm just curious.

Maybe I'm wrong? I could've sworn he has spoken about it consistently.

Kyle Snyder has future aspirations in freestyle and MMA. Why would he risk injury in folkstyle next year? I would not be surprised if he did not compete in his senior year.

What's so different about next year than this year?

He had just as much to risk this year by competing in the NCAA

Why would Snyder really care about a 3rd NCAA title when it opens him to the very real possibility of injury?  His focus rightfully should be on international competition.  I really don't see what he gets out of wrestling folkstyle anymore.

Why would Snyder really care about a 3rd NCAA title when it opens him to the very real possibility of injury? His focus rightfully should be on international competition. I really don't see what he gets out of wrestling folkstyle anymore.

Maybe ...Enjoyment and loyalty to a program that lets him do both.

Why would Snyder really care about a 3rd NCAA title when it opens him to the very real possibility of injury?  His focus rightfully should be on international competition.  I really don't see what he gets out of wrestling folkstyle anymore.

Maybe the companionship of his teammates?  The thrill of the team race?   These things are a big part of what I loved about college wrestling.  I don't see why being super successful would make these any less satisfying for him. 

Maybe The building of his brand?  The NCAA tournament on ESPN draws a lot of viewers relative to other wrestling events. 

I have no experience whatsoever in MMA except as a fan but from what I have followed, the injury rate there far exceeds wrestling in any style.  A significant % don't even make it to their fights, getting hurt in training.  I wonder what those that think folkstyle hurts freestyle performance think of jujitsu and training off your back for hours at a time.   

He tweeted that he wants to fight in the UFC and a rumor came out this morning that he was in talks to compete sooner rather than later.

Tbf he tweeted that while in attendance at UFC 203 in Cleveland after Ohio native Stipe Miocic starched Overeem.

It could have been a heat of the moment thing. A lot of top wrestlers show interest but Snyder has a chance to go down as the US GOAT wrestler.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

He already has a world title and an Olympic gold, 2 NCAA championships. He doesn't really have too much else to prove other then improving his credentials to become a multi-timer. MMA is more attractive then a lot of people think to these kids finishing their collegiate careers. Promotions are really hungry for talent that can be a draw. Snyder would be a BIG draw. Especially since he is a big man, Light Heavy's and Heavyweights are hard pressed for talent in those divisions.

Edited by tloger

...we were in a sports bar in Ft. Walton beach Florida this evening- and MMA was on one of the TV's- I hate it, put it right up there with dog fighting,  but looked up a few times and watched....  younger guy, looked like a wrestler, fighting an older rough looking guy.... the young guy takes a body shot, then a head shot, and gets finished off with a kick (the older guys shin bone) right in the forehead/bridge of the nose- my wife noticed that the young guys left leg went rigid and non-responsive for several seconds, then he went down, and the older guy hit him several more times before the official intervened and called the fight. Had to be a brain jolt or spinal issue to make that leg react like it did. If that looks like fun, or appears to be a good way to make quick money, I am missing something. If it were just fist fighting, wrestling and submission- maybe.  The kicking is deadly- your one leg stroke away  from permanent injury and/or death. I hope he finishes at tOSU, continues freestyle, and gets a nice corporate job somewhere...

I wonder as well.    Snyder suffered a rib injury at the NCAA tournament and had to have had it be a  wake up  call.    Had that rib been broken, it would have been a major set back for his international career.   

He won 2 titles, he's been in the final every year, and he's viewed as the best wrestler in college.  3 titles has been done by lots of guys.   It's not like he set out to win 3 and he's trying to achieve that goal.   He will fall short of the goal anyways, even if he gets 3.     I think he's done.     

Maybe the companionship of his teammates?  The thrill of the team race?   These things are a big part of what I loved about college wrestling.  I don't see why being super successful would make these any less satisfying for him. 

Maybe The building of his brand?  The NCAA tournament on ESPN draws a lot of viewers relative to other wrestling events. 

I have no experience whatsoever in MMA except as a fan but from what I have followed, the injury rate there far exceeds wrestling in any style.  A significant % don't even make it to their fights, getting hurt in training.  I wonder what those that think folkstyle hurts freestyle performance think of jujitsu and training off your back for hours at a time.   

Injuries while competing are the least of the problems, the traumatic brain injuries they get while fighting will screw up their lives from age 40 on. If you can make good money wrestling, and Snyder can, I would hope he doesn't go that route.  

As far as competing in folkstyle, remember that his brother is now on the team. I bet that factors in for him.

As far as MMA is concerned, I've said it before, but I will say it again:

There is a fundamental difference between wrestling and MMA. The rules of wrestling are designed to allow two competitors to have an intense physical contest for control while minimizing injuries as much as possible. Holds or techniques that routinely produce significant injury are made illegal. Wrestlers are penalized for intentionally trying to injure their opponent. 

In MMA, on the other hand, the whole point is to injure your opponent so badly that he cannot continue. The prized method of ending a fight is to cause significant enough brain trauma to your opponent that he is rendered incapacitated.

Just because you can make a lot of money intentionally injuring people for a living doesn't make it right. I hope Kyle's conscience is well-formed enough to resist the siren song of the UFC. He professes to be a Christian. As his brother in Christ, I would encourage him to keep reflecting on those Christian convictions. Being a Christian involves more than occasionally tweeting a bible verse or thanking Jesus in your post-match interview.* It means living by the teachings of Jesus, including in your choice of professions.

(*And I am saying that just as a general statement about what I see from some of our more overtly Christian wrestlers, not necessarily to Kyle in particular. I hear he is a good kid, and I assume his faith goes beyond tweets and Jesus shout-outs.)

Why would Snyder really care about a 3rd NCAA title when it opens him to the very real possibility of injury? His focus rightfully should be on international competition. I really don't see what he gets out of wrestling folkstyle anymore.

How many times has this tread & opinions like this been posted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope that the people around him convince him to forget about MMA. And he continues to train hard and win more World and Olympic titles.

I do too for selfish wrestling reasons, but also in part because I don't think he'd be that good at it. He'd be really short for LHW and have to give up a foot of reach (exaggerating a little) against the top guys. Not ideal in a sport that is increasingly moving away from grappling and more into striking.