Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Video review process is busted (Tom Ryan is right)

I understand your position on timing. But, people's memories are very, very short. If Ryan doesn't make a big deal of it right away it gets forgotten. Then, if you revisit it later, all you are doing is trying to get people to look back at "any one match" to try to elicit a change. Sadly, to get a change he needs to spark up an immediate outcry(quite similar to Oliver/Stieber) that builds and doesn't go away.

Regardless of what your stance is on video review, it is currently, albeit flawed, a part of the sport. Could you imagine going through life being the only one that polices yourself? How many times can you find a way to justify your actions? To go further, how many people on here EVER admit when they are wrong? Having refs police themselves borders on pure stupidity.

Well said.

Video review need to be a part of the sport and improved at the same time. 

I can't remember the match a few years ago with the bald ref (yes I know there are many but somebody will remember the match just from this description) who even with the assistant ref got totally lost on what happened and several wrong calls were made in a 15 second period of time. 

The easiest thing at least at this level (NCAA tournament, Midlands, Southern Scuffle, etc.) is to have a single review official who handles all reviews from a central location. For dual meets you just have to keep it the two on site officials and at open tournaments it's still going to be up in the air as to what you do. It's an ongoing and evolving process.  

Too many calls in wrestling are subjective and it leaves the refs in an extremely awkward position to make the right call every time, especially when there are a plethora of refs across the country. However, consistency from one ref in a match to match basis should be expected.

I would love to see clarification from the NCAA on calls like this after the end of each season. When shown during referee training, how would they explain how the exchange should have been scored? Making that public would help coaches, wrestlers, and fans understand how the refs are taught to call these kind of situations so we are not left wondering whether the right/wrong call was made.

Edited by Crotalus

Does amount of overturned calls affect their rating?  I know a ref's rating determines what level of meets and tournaments they can work.  If that is indeed a factor, it is even MORE ridiculous that they review their own calls.........

Edited by MSU158

I'll offer some insight if you want .5 cents worth of 2.

1. Hated the call, thought the exchange should've went 2 and 2.  Text my buddy who reffed the tournament and he liked the call.  He is an excellent and consistent official who normally gets a final except the one year he had a bad tournament and didn't deserve one.  

2. Wrestlingnerd is exactly right about no reaction time TD's vs. other TD's.  Reaction time still exists in the majority of TD's.

-----My point here is that this creates a ton of confusion for fans and prospective new fans.  Personally I hate the no reaction time TD's but 

until the NCAA rules committee changes them they have to call them.

Blurring the line between which TD's need Reaction time and which ones don't is confusing to all except those that are up to date on the rules.  

Video Review: proving to be somewhat worthless if the rate of overturning calls is that low.  Simply put, data shows it is unnecessary.  

I'll offer some insight if you want .5 cents worth of 2.

1. Hated the call, thought the exchange should've went 2 and 2.  Text my buddy who reffed the tournament and he liked the call.  He is an excellent and consistent official who normally gets a final except the one year he had a bad tournament and didn't deserve one.  

2. Wrestlingnerd is exactly right about no reaction time TD's vs. other TD's.  Reaction time still exists in the majority of TD's.

-----My point here is that this creates a ton of confusion for fans and prospective new fans.  Personally I hate the no reaction time TD's but 

until the NCAA rules committee changes them they have to call them.

Blurring the line between which TD's need Reaction time and which ones don't is confusing to all except those that are up to date on the rules.  

Video Review: proving to be somewhat worthless if the rate of overturning calls is that low.  Simply put, data shows it is unnecessary.  

Or, data shows it is being used improperly.

Great idea on paper.

Need multiple camera angles and 3rd party reviewer booth.

Also need to cut down on time it takes.

Thought for sure the hold up with BoJo had to do with fixing the Riding Time, instead the hold up was unnecessary again.

I'm hearing that the NCAA is shying away from the veteran refs in favor of younger guys. I was just talking to Frederick Feeney who's reffed at the D1's for quite some time and asked why he wasn't there this year and that's the answer he gave me

I'm an old geiser but I am in favor of the "perceived" youthful movement.

From where I was sitting there were many reviews that were doomed from the start. With only one camera angle I knew it would take a miracle for the ref to have any evidence to overturn it. For instance I saw a coach challenge nearfall, which was close, but they were on the opposite side of the camera. Another instance of a takedown was in the far corner away from the camera. My guess is about 25% of the reviews were doomed from the start just based on camera position.

New reply rules:

1.) Have X number of officials working in a "review area." Each official has their own video screen in the review area.  When a challenge is made on a mat one of the reveiw officials is randomly selected to review that given challenge. The review officials' only job is to review challenges (maybe they can switch roles for day two).

2.) The review officials have 30-45 seconds (is 45 too long?) to make a call on the challenge, if it is not made in that time frame the call stands.

3.) If a coach loses a challenge it is a stall call to the wrestler. (I think coaches would challenge less with this rule in place)