Sign in to follow this  
FreezeWrestling

Scholarship Limits? (PSU Thread)

I am familiar with the college wrestling scene. I understand how the game goes. But dear lord, how can Penn State afford to have 12-15 bona fide studs on their team? Next year's lineup is nasty and they still will only have two senior starters. Their 2018-2019 team will consist of the following:

Nick Suriano

Gavin Teasedale

Jered Cortez

Roman Bravo-Young

Nick Lee

Brady Berge

Joe Lee

Jason Nolf

Vincenzo Joseph

Mark Hall 

Bo Nickal 

Travis Whitlake

Anthony Cassar

Nick Nevils

That is 15 blue chip recruits there and that isn't counting multiple other state champs on the roster. If you divide up just those 15 among the 9.9 scholarships, that would give you a 66% ride. I don't know about you, but if I am Mark Hall, Jason Nolf, or Bo Nickal, I better be getting more than that. Unless Cael and staff talked those kids into taking less "for the team". This team above could be the best team in history.

People will take less to wrestle for the best. Nevills openly said once he is getting something like 60 percent. I've also heard rumors (who knows if true) that guy's like Nico and nolf toom/take almost no scholarship money from the wrestling budget.

I am familiar with the college wrestling scene. I understand how the game goes. But dear lord, how can Penn State afford to have 12-15 bona fide studs on their team? Next year's lineup is nasty and they still will only have two senior starters. Their 2018-2019 team will consist of the following:

Nick Suriano

Gavin Teasedale

Jered Cortez

Roman Bravo-Young

Nick Lee

Brady Berge

Joe Lee

Jason Nolf

Vincenzo Joseph

Mark Hall 

Bo Nickal 

Travis Whitlake

Anthony Cassar

Nick Nevils

That is 15 blue chip recruits there and that isn't counting multiple other state champs on the roster. If you divide up just those 15 among the 9.9 scholarships, that would give you a 66% ride. I don't know about you, but if I am Mark Hall, Jason Nolf, or Bo Nickal, I better be getting more than that. Unless Cael and staff talked those kids into taking less "for the team". This team above could be the best team in history.

Cortez will be what, 25 or 26 by then?

In state tuition is relatively cheap compared to out of state tuition.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not at PSU. PSU, Pitt, and Temple are among the most expensive state-affiliated schools in the country.

Total Annual Cost (Tuition, Fees & other expenses)

PSU in-state: $30,130-33,130

OK State out-of-state: $31,860

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

The scholarship stipends that the top football schools now offer have actually raised the scholarship limit for non-headcount sports like wrestling which divide scholarships.  As a result, the number of athletes that can get full tuition waivers has actually gone up.

They save money on room and board so they don't need a full scholarship.  Jesus provides a barn for them to sleep in and offers his flesh and blood to nourish them.  Poor heathens at other schools have to eat in the caf......We also saw what happened to Ed Ruth when he decided to dine at Taco Bell.  The Lord strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.  He was not a Cael kind of guy.

I'll repost something I posted earlier in the year:  

Here is the outline for academic scholarships.  See the bold writing below for a summary.

15.5.3.2.4.1 Academic Honor Awards -- Based on High School Record. Academic honor awards that are part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships, based solely on the recipient’s high school record and awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by institutions, are exempt from an institution’s equivalency computation, provided the recipient was ranked in the upper 10 percent of the high school graduating class or achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.500 (based on a maximum of 4.000) or a minimum ACT sum score of 105 or a minimum SAT score of 1200 (critical reading and math) for SAT tests taken before March 1, 2016; or a minimum SAT score of 1270 (critical reading and math) for tests taken on or after March 1, 2016, based on the concordance determined by the College Board. (Adopted: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/99, Revised: 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08, 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, 2/2/16)

If you read that, the Uni has the option to give an academic scholarship to anybody that is top 10% of the graduating class, has a cumulative H.S. GPA of 3.5 or higher (not too difficult given grade inflation), or 1270 SAT (also not that difficult with a bit of studying).  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Not at PSU. PSU, Pitt, and Temple are among the most expensive state-affiliated schools in the country.

In state is cheaper than out of state considerably. That was my point.

It's pricey @ $36,000 compared to $56,000 a year, I would agree.

Lehigh is $62,000.

Penn $69,000

Edited by cjc007

Are these top 10 recruits really paying to wrestle at PSU though?

My understanding is Nolf had a 4.0+ coming out of HS. I'm sure he qualified for academic.

In years past, Taylor was academic and Matt Brown was ROTC.

See my edited post above.

I heard, not verified, that Ok State allows the students to declare in state tuition after one year.

In state $9,000 a year.

I heard, not verified, that Ok State allows the students to declare in state tuition after one year.

In state $9,000 a year.

If that is not available to the general student body (which it isn't) it is not available to athletes.

Just as students "declaring residency" after being in-state for a year. If it is not their parents/guardians legal residence, they are "out of state".

Also, regarding Freeze's post, Cassar wasn't a "Blue Chip". He was a NJ State Champ in his only trip to their State tourney. Great job, but not Blue Chip full-ride material to Penn State.

He's done things afterwards, but he's not on a full-ride (as Nevills, a 3 time CA State champ and 4 time placer - 3rd as a soph isn't on a full).

The Lee's aren't (or won't be) on fulls.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cortez had money taken away after this season (that is if he was receiving anything beyond board and books).

If that is not available to the general student body (which it isn't) it is not available to athletes.

Just as students "declaring residency" after being in-state for a year. If it is not their parents/guardians legal residence, they are "out of state".

Also, regarding Freeze's post, Cassar wasn't a "Blue Chip". He was a NJ State Champ in his only trip to their State tourney. Great job, but not Blue Chip full-ride material to Penn State.

He's done things afterwards, but he's not on a full-ride (as Nevills, a 3 time CA State champ and 4 time placer - 3rd as a soph isn't on a full).

The Lee's aren't (or won't be) on fulls.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cortez had money taken away after this season (that is if he was receiving anything beyond board and books).

Cassar is a stud. Winning a state title in New Jersey and being accomplished freestyler is a blue chip in my opinion. I understand they fit money correctly, it just amazes me. 

The Lee's aren't (or won't be) on fulls. I wouldn't be shocked if Cortez had money taken away after this season (that is if he was receiving anything beyond board and books).

There's is no national uniformity in declaring residency.

It's up to the individual institutions and state affliateed​ agencies.

I believe some great institutions waive tuition for lower and lesser income students.

From what I understand, Penn State's wrestling program has an extensive and formidable (and probably deep pocketed) booster infrastructure. I was under the impression there are guys on the roster who could take a partial athletic scholarship and earn the rest of their tuition & expenses with merit-based awards and scholarships from the program's endowment. Similarly, Iowa has a huge portfolio of annual scholarships - Hawk Vision or something like that - for the team. Maybe I'm off base here, but I assumed that's one way these big programs can mitigate the decimalized NCAA scholarship limits and perhaps overload on talent.

Edited by pamela

I'll repost something I posted earlier in the year:  

Here is the outline for academic scholarships.  See the bold writing below for a summary.

15.5.3.2.4.1 Academic Honor Awards -- Based on High School Record. Academic honor awards that are part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships, based solely on the recipient’s high school record and awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by institutions, are exempt from an institution’s equivalency computation, provided the recipient was ranked in the upper 10 percent of the high school graduating class or achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.500 (based on a maximum of 4.000) or a minimum ACT sum score of 105 or a minimum SAT score of 1200 (critical reading and math) for SAT tests taken before March 1, 2016; or a minimum SAT score of 1270 (critical reading and math) for tests taken on or after March 1, 2016, based on the concordance determined by the College Board. (Adopted: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/99, Revised: 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08, 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, 2/2/16)

If you read that, the Uni has the option to give an academic scholarship to anybody that is top 10% of the graduating class, has a cumulative H.S. GPA of 3.5 or higher (not too difficult given grade inflation), or 1270 SAT (also not that difficult with a bit of studying).  

"Academic honor awards that are part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships"

It has to be an already established scholarship that is a blind award.  Something like a Presidential Scholarship awarded to every student with a 4.0 in high school who scored over 1,300 on their SAT would be permitted. 

These are sometimes called automatic scholarships or application free scholarships because they are automatically applied to students without a need to apply to them.

Penn State is not known for these types of scholarships.  They are most often used at schools that are trying to attract students of high academic achievement that would not normally consider the school.

http://admissions.psu.edu/costs-aid/scholarships/

Total Annual Cost (Tuition, Fees & other expenses)

PSU in-state: $30,130-33,130

OK State out-of-state: $31,860

PSU Cost of Attendance In-State: $36,388 (tuition, fees, expenses, Room & Board)

PSU Out of State Cost: $50,870

Ok State Cost of Attendance In-State: $21,921 (tuition, fees, expenses, Room & Board)

OK State Out of State Cost: $36,043

Latest #'s per CollegeData.com

Don't know the validity of this but I read Hall's father told Cael that he'd pay his son's way so they could get another recruit. Take that for what it's worth. 

I heard the same about another PSU mutli-time All-American. 

I also know of one PSU All-American that graduated heavily in debt after turning down a few full-rides so that he could wrestle for Sanderson without a scholarship.