Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

NCAA TV Ratings for ESPN

Notre Dame/DePaul

So on that particular Friday Night in 2015, the only other sport ESPN showed opposite was a 3rd round Women's tournament game, and we had higher ratings.  But the main point is they only run counter programming during March Madness games.

They paid $2.66 Billion per year but chose not to show the NBA basketball games they paid for on that night.  That's because they don't want their NBA games to take a giant ratings hit.  It makes the NBA look bad and makes them look bad for paying for the NBA.  So they protect the NBA and expand coverage of wrestling, not caring that our ratings will be crushed by going up against the biggest College Sporting event of the year.  

The product that you admit to not watching?

I don't see any reason to continue this debate with you...

Right - I own a business and had things that took me away from sitting in front of a screen those two days (although - watched everything late Thursday afternoon/evening, Friday evening and Saturday night - I was at a wrestling tourney in the morning with my son, but that wouldn't matter to you in your judgement of others....). I watch more wrestling than probably 90% of fans out there, so I don't have to justify myself to you. You're simply taking the easy way out by taking a jab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a jab. It's the main point. If you, who watches more wrestling than 90% of wrestling fans, already a very exclusive group, can't watch it, then who the hell can? The format is unwatchable for the vast majority of people. Not everyone is still in school or can take several days off of work for the sake of watching NCAAs.

It's not a jab. It's the main point. If you, who watches more wrestling than 90% of wrestling fans, already a very exclusive group, can't watch it, then who the hell can? The format is unwatchable for the vast majority of people. Not everyone is still in school or can take several days off of work for the sake of watching NCAAs.

What, you think some of us work for a living ? 

:-)

About the numbers - the "record setting" headline is great and I bet NCAA wrestling's 30+ numbers are much much better.  While I'm glad ESPN's viewership numbers include both tv and live streaming, I don't think it includes the VOD replays.  In the network tv world, VOD can inflate viewership numbers something along the lines of 40% within 7 days of the live broadcast and over 160% within 30 days.  For a sport like wrestling where fans dissect matches and watch (and re-watch) big moments on replay, the numbers could be even more significant.  I don't believe Nielsen or ComScore really account for VOD in their reports but it's the way more and more people are watching tv these days.

Does anyone know how long ESPN will keep the individual mat coverage up on WatchESPN (website and/or app)?

I'm hoping to go back and look at some of he individual matches but theres a huge amount of content there... and I fear I won't get to it all before they take it off the service.

Based on the way the site is designed, I'm guessing goes away after 30 days. Does it live anywhere else online after that?