Sign in to follow this  
PA Power

Fan Hate

Lately, I'm seeing a lot of board chatter about how people don't necessarily hate Cael/Penn State wrestlers/anyone actually involved with the program, but they do hate the fans. It got me thinking, is that something that's truly specific to Penn State wrestling fans? Are they really so awful and unique in their position as fans of a dynasty as to be truly hated?

Does anyone here like Alabama football fans? How about New England Patriots fans? Anybody a big fan of Yankees supporters? No fan clubs for the Kentucky basketball fan club?

Generally speaking, the average sports fan will talk about how much they hate all of these groups. Is it really true that in some mad coincidence the people in these different groups are all universally terrible? Or as fans of outside programs and teams do we just get a visceral reaction of disgust when we see the gloating and the celebratory posts and the adoration? It gets old. I'll be the first to admit it. Their position makes you hate them. The truth is, if they sucked, we would never be complaining about their fans. They are just like the fans everywhere else.

Basically, people hate fans of dynasties and come to resent almost everything that they do after a certain consistent level of success is achieved. I defy you to name me one significant sports dynasty whose fan base the general population does not hate.

Now, having said that, there are extremely annoying message board personalities who speak disrespectfully, troll rival boards, and just disgrace themselves and the school that they support. They are problematic and deserve to be hated. Just keep in mind, they are usually not reflective of the average fan.

Edited by PA Power

Living in Pittsburgh, I haven't found much evidence for any special hatred of PSU fans. Many of those I've worked with are Pitt graduates and we've managed to work together, tailgate together and generally enjoy each other's company. I sent three children to Pitt, and we get along fine.

When I have seen obnoxious PSU fans, it usually involves excessive alcohol and/or immaturity. I've seen that on other campuses with other teams' fans as well so I don't believe it's anything special to the PSU fan base. I have been embarrassed by bad fan behavior though so I don't deny it exists. And it exists too much.

As far as the Sandusky scandal - I'm ok with letting the courts sort that out. Like many PSU fans, I've learned to share OPINIONS regarding who knew what, motives, criminal intent, criminal negligence with thoughtful people and not those who claim they "know" everything. Especially the Internet irrationals who extrapolate compassion for victims into hatred for sports teams, universities and fans. Perhaps these irrationals are just venting, and would not be as offensive and unreasonable in person. Internet behavior reminds me of the dogs in the below video where the gate represents the internet. With and without generates entirely different behaviors!!

https://youtu.be/VK6_tjizu_g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

Living in Pittsburgh, I haven't found much evidence for any special hatred of PSU fans. Many of those I've worked with are Pitt graduates and we've managed to work together, tailgate together and generally enjoy each other's company. I sent three children to Pitt, and we get along fine.

When I have seen obnoxious PSU fans, it usually involves excessive alcohol and/or immaturity. I've seen that on other campuses with other teams' fans as well so I don't believe it's anything special to the PSU fan base. I have been embarrassed by bad fan behavior though so I don't deny it exists. And it exists too much.

As far as the Sandusky scandal - I'm ok with letting the courts sort that out. Like many PSU fans, I've learned to share OPINIONS regarding who knew what, motives, criminal intent, criminal negligence with thoughtful people and not those who claim they "know" everything. Especially the Internet irrationals who extrapolate compassion for victims into hatred for sports teams, universities and fans. Perhaps these irrationals are just venting, and would not be as offensive and unreasonable in person. Internet behavior reminds me of the dogs in the below video where the gate represents the internet. With and without generates entirely different behaviors!!

https://youtu.be/VK6_tjizu_g

I thought the PSU fans were nice at the Nationals. When teams are on top, the have nots look for any deviation from appropriate behavior and highlight that as the norm. Regarding Sandusky, most normal people know that Sandusky and Sandusky alone was the chief culprit. There were 3 other PSU employees that didn't pay attention and consequently failed to notify child services and the police.

Wrestling should be celebrating its growth instead of looking to bring teams, wrestlers, coaches,or in this case, fan bases, down.

PSU fans endured a long period of underperforming teams and coaches.  Blue Chip PA recruits  failed to reach their potential, were not in shape and  often injured. We always knew the potential that PSU had in PA and it was frustrating for many years.  It was hard to be a fan. Thankfully, Cael too saw the potential and quickly got to work. The hire was kind of the perfect storm for PSU fans.

Many PSU fans are knowledgeable and not only appreciate what PSU is doing, but also appreciate great wrestling from any kid from any team. There will always be loudmouths in the group who make all in the group look bad. There are a few classless PSU posters on a few different forums that run their mouths. Same is true for most fan bases. I went to NCAA’s a few years ago and stayed in a hotel filled with Iowa fans and they were great, but that was not the impression I expected from reading the forum at the time.  

Don’t judge the group by the few outliers who are vocal of forums.

Lots to people love to hate a seemingly perennial winner. It's been true since the beginning of organized sports and the reporting there of. 

I agree 100%.  Also, its true that a certain proportion of a fanbase will jump on the top of the bandwagon and smugly crow about how great they are.  Occasionally, the players and coaches buy into this as well.  Its really annoying to hear them describe how they feed off of each other's greatness.

Edited by Plasmodium

It was just as bad when Oklahoma state was on top during their run in the 2000s and iowa still has haters lingering to this day from their success in the 90s. It'seems easy for bandwagon fans to have big mouths when their team is on top, and it's even easier to hate on a group of big mouths en masse.

The problem I have noticed are the bandwagon fans.  Some fans seem to think they themselves won titles in St Louis. 

As annoying as I find the bandwagon fans, they are a product of success and are a good thing to have in our sport. I just wish that Iowa, Oklahoma State, Cornell, Ohio State, and NC State all had them too. 

Edited by Pinnum

The worst fans to me are the ones who criticize other coaches for doing the same thing their team's coaches do. During the finals I heard a couple penn state fans complaining that Tom Ryan used too many challenges and was obnoxious. I pointed out that cael and Casey used them just as often and they got all pissy with me over it. Some people just need to get off their soap boxes, especially when they know next to nothing about the sport (still love to see so many new fans turning out for wrestling, though!)

All wrestling fans are awesome! Sat among PSU fans. They were special. Walked back to hotel with Iowa fans. They were first class. Had breakfast with an old time Oklahoma State fan. Best guy I met all week.

Loved the chants from Minnesota and Missouri fans. Hearing the Cornell fans cheer for Gabe Dean was special. Although very small, the RUTGERS' fans made themselves known in a classy and vocal way.

Like I said, all wrestling fans are awesome!

gowrestle

Edited by gowrestle

Interesting that fans of big time winning programs come in for more criticism than fans of middling programs(whatever the sport) who are really ****heads. Worst I have seen overall are a cult religion school - BYU. Somehow they are really bad and can't fall back on 'they are drunk" as an excuse.

I live in PA and have always enjoyed PSU wrestling, but especially love the program right now for what they're accomplishing. I just feel that Cael runs a first rate program that just attracts major talent. Fans of mainly the PSU wrestling team are very down to earth and great people to share the sport with.

With that said, living in PA I cannot stand many PSU fans, especially during football season. The fans are extremely irrational. They continue to put that program on a golden pedestal, and it just makes the stain of what happened there wreak even worse. They can do no wrong. Holier than thou. One of my friends even tried to tell me how improved their bball team was this year and that there was a good chance they could beat my WVU Mountaineers. We're in the Sweet 16. They went 15-18 and finished 12th in the Big 10...

I also can't stand the PSU fans that don't follow a lick of wrestling, but are the first to post "WE ARE..." on Facebook late on Saturday night when the NCAA Wrestling Tournament concludes.

Yea but thats describing a huge majority or our general population when it comes to following anything! I'm willing to bet the majority of people wearing a "Metalica" t-shirt couldn't name their band members.

I was in Chicago when the Cubs won the world series and there were people running around like crazy screaming... How many of them are actualy "TRUE" Cubs fans?

Thats how people are. When a team wins something.. people who know very little about something suddenly jump on the Band wagon. Not an exclusive thing when it comes to PSU Wrestling by any means.

I also can't stand the PSU fans that don't follow a lick of wrestling, but are the first to post "WE ARE..." on Facebook late on Saturday night when the NCAA Wrestling Tournament concludes.

They are the ones that would tune in to watch Penn State in a NCAA dual title match on ESPN.

However, they are not going to watch the individual tournament.

Lately, I'm seeing a lot of board chatter about how people don't necessarily hate Cael/Penn State wrestlers/anyone actually involved with the program, but they do hate the fans. It got me thinking, is that something that's truly specific to Penn State wrestling fans? Are they really so awful and unique in their position as fans of a dynasty as to be truly hated?

Does anyone here like Alabama football fans? How about New England Patriots fans? Anybody a big fan of Yankees supporters? No fan clubs for the Kentucky basketball fan club?

Generally speaking, the average sports fan will talk about how much they hate all of these groups. Is it really true that in some mad coincidence the people in these different groups are all universally terrible? Or as fans of outside programs and teams do we just get a visceral reaction of disgust when we see the gloating and the celebratory posts and the adoration? It gets old. I'll be the first to admit it. Their position makes you hate them. The truth is, if they sucked, we would never be complaining about their fans. They are just like the fans everywhere else.

Basically, people hate fans of dynasties and come to resent almost everything that they do after a certain consistent level of success is achieved. I defy you to name me one significant sports dynasty whose fan base the general population does not hate.

Now, having said that, there are extremely annoying message board personalities who speak disrespectfully, troll rival boards, and just disgrace themselves and the school that they support. They are problematic and deserve to be hated. Just keep in mind, they are usually not reflective of the average fan.

"deserve to be hated" Man I really got a problem with the deserve hate business

Yeah - I got a whole lot of those ("we are" - which i friggin hate with a passion) on my Facebook from a bunch of nitters who know nothing about the sport but just wanna rub it in.

Yeah - I got a whole lot of those ("we are" - which i friggin hate with a passion) on my Facebook from a bunch of nitters who know nothing about the sport but just wanna rub it in.

Sure it can get annoying, but I wouldn't take every post as though it's directed at me. Who cares what uninformed fans have to say?

Sure it can get annoying, but I wouldn't take every post as though it's directed at me. Who cares what uninformed fans have to say?

I'm not talking about general posts on FB - I'm talking about directly on my page and in my messages. I'm not thin-skinned and know they are doing it to bust chops (especially from my wrestling buddies), but it's all the outsider/non wrestling fans that annoy me. It just gets tiresome from them (I do live in the heart of nitter country, tho....). Heck - it comes when the win volleyball or some other random sport too. Now they are good at hockey - so its doubled down the past few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk