Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

I hope Dean Crushes Nickal at the US Open

I've been thinking this over and I hope Dean and Nickal both go to the US Open and that Dean crushes him.

I am convinced that Dean was sick or injured at the NCAAs. His body language starting from the pre-tourney press conference and the dark circles around his eyes says so.

Also, Nickal was really a jerk coming off the mat, lamenting that he did not get "bonus points for my team" before adding that it was OK since they already won the team title. 

Bonus points, really? You won by one point, and only did that because a call was overturned in your favor. And then after making that extremely arrogant comment, you go on about Jesus Christ. Didn't Jesus talk about humility. I mean, Jesus Christ!

Dean will win if they meet again.

Separately, seeding the U.S. Open will be interesting. If Cox, Taylor, Nickal and Dean are all there, would Cox be he #1 seed based on his bronze. Or would Taylor pass him based on his World Cup dominance. I guess not. And I guess Nickal would be seeded over Dean. Would anyone else figure is (assuming that Dake is not at 189).

Separately, seeding the U.S. Open will be interesting. If Cox, Taylor, Nickal and Dean are all there, would Cox be he #1 seed based on his bronze. Or would Taylor pass him based on his World Cup dominance. I guess not. And I guess Nickal would be seeded over Dean. Would anyone else figure is (assuming that Dake is not at 189).

VERY SILLY POST

Does Bo Nickal plan on competing in freestyle/at the senior level this offseason? 

EDIT: I was thinking he'd do U23 instead but I'm pretty sure it's in October or November.

Edited by pamela

I didn't think Nickal sounded corky or arrogant at all. Simply said he wished he could have earned bonus point... something he's done the majority of his matches. The call was overturned becuase he actually DID score a legitimate takedown that the refs missed! Clearly NJDan you're seeing things that weren't there at all and just bummed that your guy didn't win.

I will agree with you that prematch Dean didn't look right.. but he didn't look ill or hurt... maybe nerves/pressure got to him. He didn't look mentally into it that's for sure.

That being said, everyone made Nickal out to be this HUGE underdog against Dean.. what evidence of that was there really? This season Nickal was equally as dominant as Dean with the exception of his B1G semifinal goofup against Martin. Nickal and Dean wrestled a few years ago when Nickal was at 174lber in freestyle.. a match where he score the first takedown and lost only by 1 point. Take away Dean's size advantage from 2 years ago.. I see an even matchup.

In terms of his NCAA tournament performance... Nickal's wins were clear and decisive.. heck Dean almost lost in the quarters! Also keep in mind Nickal pinned both the 3rd and 4th place finishers in this weight in the quarters and semis respectively. Nickal had the tougher bracket, much more dominant performance, and legitimately won in the finals.. yet you're hating on him and calling him arrogant because he said he wanted to score more points?

Root for the guy you want, but don't make up phoney cases of arrogance when there cleary aren't any.

I didn't think Nickal sounded corky or arrogant at all. Simply said he wished he could have earned bonus point... something he's done the majority of his matches. The call was overturned becuase he actually DID score a legitimate takedown that the refs missed! Clearly NJDan you're seeing things that weren't there at all and just bummed that your guy didn't win.

I will agree with you that prematch Dean didn't look right.. but he didn't look ill or hurt... maybe nerves/pressure got to him. He didn't look mentally into it that's for sure.

That being said, everyone made Nickal out to be this HUGE underdog against Dean.. what evidence of that was there really? This season Nickal was equally as dominant as Dean with the exception of his B1G semifinal goofup against Martin. Nickal and Dean wrestled a few years ago when Nickal was at 174lber in freestyle.. a match where he score the first takedown and lost only by 1 point. Take away Dean's size advantage from 2 years ago.. I see an even matchup.

In terms of his NCAA tournament performance... Nickal's wins were clear and decisive.. heck Dean almost lost in the quarters! Also keep in mind Nickal pinned both the 3rd and 4th place finishers in this weight in the quarters and semis respectively. Nickal had the tougher bracket, much more dominant performance, and legitimately won in the finals.. yet you're hating on him and calling him arrogant because he said he wanted to score more points?

Root for the guy you want, but don't make up phoney cases of arrogance when there cleary aren't any.

Many ++++

Great post and all points valid. 

One thing I did not see mentioned as a factor for Dean not looking " right " was what was going through his mind while watching or hearing how Penn State mowed down one opponent after another leading up to his match. I doubt 49 and 57 were much of a surprise but the pin at 165 and win at 174 must have had Dean thinking WTF ??? How did Cael pull this off ?? I don't care how cool and collected an athlete is to see this kind of  momentum building for one team had to have some affect on his confidence.

I will say this... When Dean came running out he looked a little lost. His facial expression for me didn't scream confidence and excitement.

Once he stepped on the platform he looked almost as if he was thinking.. wheres my coaches.. what do I do next? He also looked like he stumbled when he first stepped on the elevated platform.

Nickal on the otherhand looked charged, relaxed, confident and ready to go. 

Guys they have wrestled once before two years ago. Dean won a close 3-2 match in freestyle. My bet is the next one will be close as well. Bo can not throw or turn Dean so it will always be a one or two takedown match. Neither most likely will be a threat for the world team. Cox and Taylor are the favorites there.

Hater post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had a nickel for every time someone called a post a hater post, I'd have ... a lot of nickels. When will everyone realize that Boards are the provence of haters? Trolls live under bridges. Sea slugs live in the sea. And haters live on the Boards. 

I've been thinking this over and I hope Dean and Nickal both go to the US Open and that Dean crushes him.

I am convinced that Dean was sick or injured at the NCAAs. His body language starting from the pre-tourney press conference and the dark circles around his eyes says so.

Also, Nickal was really a jerk coming off the mat, lamenting that he did not get "bonus points for my team" before adding that it was OK since they already won the team title. 

Bonus points, really? You won by one point, and only did that because a call was overturned in your favor. And then after making that extremely arrogant comment, you go on about Jesus Christ. Didn't Jesus talk about humility. I mean, Jesus Christ!

Dean will win if they meet again.

Now to the meat of this post ...

First off, all posts are welcome. I love these boards. So bring it on. This is a great topic. 

84kg will potentially be stacked. In theory: Cox, Taylor, Dean, Zahid, MyMar, Nickal (this order is not a statement). Not to mention the old guard... Of note is that Zahid roundly beat MyMar and Nickal at last year's Junior US Open and Jr World Team trials and I don't see those results changing given Zahid's style is incredibly well suited to freestyle and on the one hand Nickal's is not and on the other hand I think that Zahid is simply far superior a wrestler than MyMar. So I think the more interesting question is Dean v Zahid and the Jr Worlds and what would a Cox v Zahid and Tayler v Zahid match end up like. And of course there's the million dollar question: Taylor v Cox should we be so lucky. 

Great post and all points valid. 

One thing I did not see mentioned as a factor for Dean not looking " right " was what was going through his mind while watching or hearing how Penn State mowed down one opponent after another leading up to his match. I doubt 49 and 57 were much of a surprise but the pin at 165 and win at 174 must have had Dean thinking WTF ??? How did Cael pull this off ?? I don't care how cool and collected an athlete is to see this kind of  momentum building for one team had to have some affect on his confidence.

Rob Koll thinks the 4 straight wins was one of the differences in the match.  However, he put it in the context of positively impacting Bo's performance:

“Penn State had four consecutive championships before that one, and I think the kid was wrestling on a high,” Koll said. “It wasn’t like Gabe wrestled poorly, [Dean] actually took it to him. There were a couple of opportunities that could’ve gone his way depending on the refs, but his opponent did a good job of avoiding him. Gabe is relentless, but unfortunately wasn’t able to capitalize on a couple of opportunities.”

From the Cornell Daily Sun: http://cornellsun.com/2017/03/20/dean-stunned-in-finals-as-wrestling-fails-to-meet-goals-at-ncaas/