Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Vito Arujau does NOT decommit from Cornell

Totally off topic, but why are the last names of the sons of Vougar Oroudjov/Orujov spelled Arujau? At first, I thought it was just a different Anglicization of the same last name. But then I found out that Vougar's wife is Zhanna Arujava.

Is there some cultural naming convention I'm missing?

Yianni doesn't seem to have that kind of length, but solid Dake reference. If Yianni wins a stacked 141 next year, I will be very happy.

Yianni is longer than Dake at the same age and has moved up weights at a similar (I believe greater) pace. His parents aren't short. And as you note, he still looks like a kid and is not well-muscled.

The reference to Dake wasn't really physical though. More of a style thing. Like Dake, he is "sneaky strong" and very explosive and wrestles extremely well from all positions, especially scrambles. With some added physical maturity, he is going to be a monster.

Yianni is longer than Dake at the same age and has moved up weights at a similar (I believe greater) pace. His parents aren't short. And as you note, he still looks like a kid and is not well-muscled.

The reference to Dake wasn't really physical though. More of a style thing. Like Dake, he is "sneaky strong" and very explosive and wrestles extremely well from all positions, especially scrambles. With some added physical maturity, he is going to be a monster.

And he wrestles for your favorite team:  The Field.  LMAO.

I agree he's gonna be a monster, disagree he ever wrestles over 149.

I'm glad he's staying at Cornell.  I'd love for one of the "backups" to get a shot at a spot.  It seems that most guys get markedly better in the PSU room so it stands to reason that one or two of the less heralded guys might be able to qualify for NCAAs.  There is probably an AA in there somewhere as well.

Totally off topic, but why are the last names of the sons of Vougar Oroudjov/Orujov spelled Arujau? At first, I thought it was just a different Anglicization of the same last name. But then I found out that Vougar's wife is Zhanna Arujava.

I was wondering the exact same thing!

My guess is that it is a further phoneticization of the Azerbaijani name.  Yes, Oroudjov is already phonetic, but maybe people kept pronouncing it way wrong and they felt like Arujau might get people closer to the sound of the actual Azerbaijani pronunciation.  

My guess is that it is a further phoneticization of the Azerbaijani name.  Yes, Oroudjov is already phonetic, but maybe people kept pronouncing it way wrong and they felt like Arujau might get people closer to the sound of the actual Azerbaijani pronunciation.  

That's what I thought too but why wouldn't Vougar have changed his own name too then?