Sign in to follow this  
PSUMike

How will the 2017 season/tournament be remembered?

There is always something distinct about a given season that makes it stand out in my mind.

2012 was what really marked the start of the Penn State era in my mind. Taylor, Ruth, Q, Nico, and Frank all had awesome seasons and despite winning the title in 2011, this really opened my eyes that this could be something special.

2013 was Dake/Taylor + Dake's 4th. Taylor looked unbeatable to my eye and Dake just kept proving me wrong. 

2014 was marked by the senior seasons of Ruth and Taylor. The end of a dynasty?

2015 was Logiebear getting his 4th*, the emergence of IMar, and the ridiculousness that was the stacked 197 bracket (J'den, Snyder, MorMac, and then Gadsen reigns supreme).  

2016 was the HWT clash of the titans. Gwiz had 2 under his belt. Snyder was coming up from 197. Expectations were as high as they could be and the match f'in delivered.

What about 2017 will make it notable? Is it Penn State going 5/5? IMar getting stuck? Heil continually gritting it out? 10 undefeated wrestlers going into the tournament, one at each weight?

There is always something distinct about a given season that makes it stand out in my mind.

2012 was what really marked the start of the Penn State era in my mind. Taylor, Ruth, Q, Nico, and Frank all had awesome seasons and despite winning the title in 2011, this really opened my eyes that this could be something special.

2013 was Dake/Taylor + Dake's 4th. Taylor looked unbeatable to my eye and Dake just kept proving me wrong.

2014 was marked by the senior seasons of Ruth and Taylor. The end of a dynasty?

2015 was Logiebear getting his 4th*, the emergence of IMar, and the ridiculousness that was the stacked 197 bracket (J'den, Snyder, MorMac, and then Gadsen reigns supreme).

2016 was the HWT clash of the titans. Gwiz had 2 under his belt. Snyder was coming up from 197. Expectations were as high as they could be and the match f'in delivered.

What about 2017 will make it notable? Is it Penn State going 5/5? IMar getting stuck? Heil continually gritting it out? 10 undefeated wrestlers going into the tournament, one at each weight?

Great summary.

2017: the year of fun. 5/5

I would not say that it can't, or will not be done for quite some time. After all, the PSU hammers are returning. PSU will, again bring in a highly touted recruiting class.

I think that I will always remember that well publicized fuss around (125) and Suriano.   Will he -or- won't he ?

And the beat goes on

Prior to the start it was about the undefeated No. 1 seeds, IMar going for 3 (possible 4 timer), Cox going for 3, and Snyder (gold medalist).

After the tournament it was 5 in a row, PSU team title, and Snyder.

Broadcasters typically do a pretty bad job of shifting gears.  When Gillman lost the 125 story went away.  They weren't ready for Clark to rise up as he did.  Even to some extent when Dean lost it was hard to shift gears (albeit the coverage was over).  It is always good to get network coverage but I just wish the producers didn't lock in so tightly to certain story lines.

LMAO.  

Why?  Do you have any interest in wrestling outside the USA?  Or are you so parochial that all that matters is the team for which you root?  I can assure you that in Iran, Russia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, etc...they know who Snyder and Cox are.  But they couldn't give a crap about the American college season.  

Why?  Do you have any interest in wrestling outside the USA?  Or are you so parochial that all that matters is the team for which you root?  I can assure you that in Iran, Russia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, etc...they know who Snyder and Cox are.  But they couldn't give a crap about the American college season.  

That makes sense. Most of us here in America don't care about Russia or Iran or other University wrestling either. Realistically most Americans, even wrestling fans don't care about the World Championships in Freestyle, Greco Roman or Women's wrestling either.

Most of us are more attuned to what is close to home. For me this NCAA tournament was The Penn State Five AND Snyder. Don't mean to slight J'den Cox at all but an Olympic Gold Medalist get much more press than the Bronze medal guy.

Don't really think PSU will get five Champions next year no matter what they do. This one was Magic, don't think lightning will strike twice on this level even as I believe they will win a team title next year.