maj

Any hope for Maryland ?

There is always hope......

You are correct, there are too many good wrestlers near MD (PA/NJ) but that is a curse as much as a blessing.  Every school recruits that area hard.  Unless you find a top performer who didn't get an offer from PSU/OSU and doesn't want to travel a long distance,  the advantages of MD grow small. 

The tuition for MD is pricey, almost 50K with room/board for out of state.  Since most wrestlers pay for some of all of the tuition, that is a serious impact. 

There is always hope......

You are correct, there are too many good wrestlers near MD (PA/NJ) but that is a curse as much as a blessing.  Every school recruits that area hard.  Unless you find a top performer who didn't get an offer from PSU/OSU and doesn't want to travel a long distance,  the advantages of MD grow small. 

The tuition for MD is pricey, almost 50K with room/board for out of state.  Since most wrestlers pay for some of all of the tuition, that is a serious impact. 

Good points. I forgot about the out of state robbery. I went to the school back in the 70's ( didn't wrestle ) and it was dirt cheap at the time, but I am from the Peoples republic of Maryland so I didn't pay any attention to the out of state costs. You'd think the morons in charge could extend in state tuition to the states that border the not so free state.

But other than the actual Inner Harbor area what is there to do in that area? And quite honestly once you see the Inner Harbor there is nothing. 

I don't have any idea why they terps can't perform with any consistency but I really don't think geography has anything to do with it. Good beach a couple of hours away could be a selling point but it seems to me the problems run much deeper than nothing to do in the area.

I wish Snyder would have stayed home and went there, he could have done wonders for their program. As good as he is I don't think it would have hurt his development at all.

Disagree. Once he set foot at tOSU, his rate of improvement spiked noticeably. He got SO much better between his senior year of HS at the OTC and his true freshman year at tOSU, and hen made a similar massive leap between that year and the next one. I give a lot of credit to Roselli and Dalgnev for that. It's almost impossible to deny at this point because both coaches have produced results with others that point to their influence.

I wish Snyder would have stayed home and went there, he could have done wonders for their program. As good as he is I don't think it would have hurt his development at all.

You don't think that room helped Snyder improve?

I love Maryland. A lot of friends and family went there. They are not good enough for our country's best wrestler.

I do like their 49er

I don't have any idea why they terps can't perform with any consistency but I really don't think geography has anything to do with it. Good beach a couple of hours away could be a selling point but it seems to me the problems run much deeper than nothing to do in the area.

I was just kind of ragging on the location. I go to a GVT conference there twice a year so I'm intimately familiar with the Inner Harbor and all the restaurants. I've probably eaten at all of them at least a dozen times.  

But other than the actual Inner Harbor area what is there to do in that area? And quite honestly once you see the Inner Harbor there is nothing. 

also, besides the grand canyon, what's there to do at Arizona State? and even when you get to the Grand Canyon, it's mostly just a hole in the ground really. 

The campus is actually much closer to the DC area and all kinds of things to do in a major metropolitan area.

Local attractions aside, however, we're talking about student athletes that will be balancing a full time college class load with team practices, training sessions, travel and competition.  It's not like these guys will have a lot of time for long weekend trips or outings.

You don't think that room helped Snyder improve?

I love Maryland. A lot of friends and family went there. They are not good enough for our country's best wrestler.

I do like their 49er

It obviously helped him but the guy is a freak of nature. He would be great no matter where he went. I'd also imagine a couple coaches might have found their way to him as well. That's why I think he could have done wonders for their program.

To those presently in that area, how would McCoy's situation at Maryland compare to what Mark Cody faced at American when he took that job? A small, expensive private school that he somehow built into a strong Div. I program.

I think Santoro built it and McCoy took it over.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I was just kind of ragging on the location. I go to a GVT conference there twice a year so I'm intimately familiar with the Inner Harbor and all the restaurants. I've probably eaten at all of them at least a dozen times.  

Having eaten several meals in Richmond, I'm certain UVA has nothing to offer visiting recruits

Local points of interest are not as big a factor as many on this board may think.  And if they were, Maryland has a lot to offer with Ocean City Maryland, Washington DC, Baltimore and Annapolis all within an hour away.  I do believe the cost of Maryland and the success achieved by a program are key reasons why recruits aren't enamored with the University.  Maryland is a very good academic school among public universities and the campus is very nice and a lot of good looking women so it should be attractive to high school kids.  With very little success under McCoy, I believe you have to look at the head coach.