maj

Any hope for Maryland ?

Let's get some geographical things straight. University of Maryland is close to DC. The Washington DC Metro has a stop near the school and the school runs a shuttle from the campus to the metro station. Ocean City is closer to three hours away.

Other schools with D1 wrestling in the DC area include American (in DC) and George Mason (in Northern Virginia).

Local points of interest are not as big a factor as many on this board may think.  And if they were, Maryland has a lot to offer with Ocean City Maryland, Washington DC, Baltimore and Annapolis all within an hour away.  I do believe the cost of Maryland and the success achieved by a program are key reasons why recruits aren't enamored with the University.  Maryland is a very good academic school among public universities and the campus is very nice and a lot of good looking women so it should be attractive to high school kids.  With very little success under McCoy, I believe you have to look at the head coach.

Have you had the crabcake sandwich at the Phillips Seafood in the Inner Harbor? Uninspired and pedestrian. 2 stars.

How is ANYONE at Maryland supposed to recruit a decent team with that kind of obstacle in their way?

Nothing to do in the area of UMD is a head scratching comment. What kind of budget do they have at MD? That tuition could eat up a budget in a hurry.

Did Mark Cody really make American a D1 power or did he have a few successful dudes run through his program?  

Have you had the crabcake sandwich at the Phillips Seafood in the Inner Harbor? Uninspired and pedestrian. 2 stars.

How is ANYONE at Maryland supposed to recruit a decent team with that kind of obstacle in their way?

Go to Cinghiale's. They are Northern Italian in their food style. Very delicious stuff. 

also, besides the grand canyon, what's there to do at Arizona State? and even when you get to the Grand Canyon, it's mostly just a hole in the ground really. 

UMMMM , have you even been on that campus? 

The Sangria at Hard Rock is pretty good and there is an Irish place upstairs right by the plaza which is OK but most of the eateries in the area are just chains unless you walk further east heading towards Fells Point. Some of the local watering holes near the waterfront are OK but others are just dives. 

Oh and in that area for some reason it seems faster to walk than catch a cab. 

I can't believe anyone would ever question my knowledge about Arizona State's campus.

imagine going on to a message board trying to talk about a university and making an incredibly stupid and clueless statement about a place that is not even that close to that university's campus. god I would be so embarrassed. I would stop posting forever. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

yeah the Sangria at the Hard Rock is the best thing about in the Inner Harbor. can't get enough of that wonderful fortified wine. love it. 

There is also a place right in the same area which sells alligator and has a floating dining area. 

The University of Maryland Medical Center, School of Medicine, and School of Pharmacy are all within a 10 minute walk of the inner harbor.

I know that's not where the wrestling team is located but as I mentioned in an earlier post I was just kind of dissing on the area because once you get 1 or 2 blocks outside that area it gets real sketchy. In fact the riots were within a few blocks of that location. 

The University of Maryland Medical Center, School of Medicine, and School of Pharmacy are all within a 10 minute walk of the inner harbor.

Which is probably why the Maryland School of Medicine's wrestling team is so terrible. no recruit wants to go there when their best Inner Harbor dining option is the Hard Rock Cafe. 

Which is probably why the Maryland School of Medicine's wrestling team is so terrible. no recruit wants to go there when their best Inner Harbor dining option is the Hard Rock Cafe. 

That and they are too busy chasing nurses.  Conditioning does not seem to be an issue though, again from all the chasing

Obviously, if a wrestler is into academics, Maryland is at least the rival of any of the midwest powers.

Obviously, if a wrestler is into high art and culture, it is hard for any of the Mid-west powers to match DC-Baltimore.

Yeah, but what if they are into the outdoors? Well within three hours of DC there are Oceans that wave, rivers with a visible flow, Mountains that aren't flat, and forests with trees. The midwest, you can fish for bass, or shoot birds and bunnies. (OK Michigan, Wisc, Minn have bit of the Boreal  Forest.

If you are in to Tornado chasing for fun, hands down the midwest..