Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

More in explicable "I Choose Down" moment?

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which was more ridiculous?

• Frank Molinaro against Kyle Dake after having just been ridden for ~7 years leading up to the decision
    • Lavion Mayes deciding to go underneath the Terminator, the new Destroyer of Worlds, Zain Retherford
    • Ethan Lizak inexplicably deciding to take bottom when the only thing he's truly good at is top (and gassing out mid second period)

I voted for Molinaro but now that the option is available, I want to change my vote to Lizak. I'm still confused. 

Molinaro and Mayes, I can understand. They weren't winning no matter what, so they might as well give scoring any point of any kind the old college try.

But Lizak?????

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Not directly related to the poll, but why did Thomas Gilman not choose down in a 0-0 match going into the 3rd period in his semi-final match against Darian Cruz when he had 2 minutes of riding time. Did not understand that strategy.

Not directly related to the poll, but why did Thomas Gilman not choose down in a 0-0 match going into the 3rd period in his semi-final match against Darian Cruz when he had 2 minutes of riding time. Did not understand that strategy.

Maybe not the smartest decision either, but bottom is his worst position and he made a comment that the was surprised by Cruz's physical strength. He probably wanted to win the match from his (by far) best position while he was still fresh. Given he took down every single opponent this year, at least I can understand the choice.

Because Cruz is really good on top, and Gilman had been struggling on bottom starting with the Lizak match.  I still would have gone down, but I presume that was the logic.

Because Cruz is really good on top, and Gilman had been struggling on bottom starting with the Lizak match.  I still would have gone down, but I presume that was the logic.

Cruz is solid, but not elite on top.   His brother is much better.  

I got to go with Mayes picking down against Zain. Molinaro was a brute, and escaped nearly every time, so picking down for him against even Dake is somewhat explicable. Yeah, he was tortured, but he wasn't teched or anything.

Mayes WAS tortured, and hammered into submission. Such a bad choice, especially after taking Zain down from his feet in the first period.

My moment was not seeing Martinez bridge or fight like his life depended on it.

Same. Shocking to see a champ just give up like that. Maybe Martinez figured "okay, there's at least 5 more points for him, he's already winning the match...might as well get off the mat early!".

Same. Shocking to see a champ just give up like that. Maybe Martinez figured "okay, there's at least 5 more points for him, he's already winning the match...might as well get off the mat early!".

Watch Perry's face in the background of the video and tell me he didn't know it was already over.

Martinez has always been able to hip the thrower off of him in one clean motion as he uses his strong core muscles to "bounce" off the mat. That didn't happen this time. 

I got to go with Mayes picking down against Zain. Molinaro was a brute, and escaped nearly every time, so picking down for him against even Dake is somewhat explicable. Yeah, he was tortured, but he wasn't teched or anything.

Mayes WAS tortured, and hammered into submission. Such a bad choice, especially after taking Zain down from his feet in the first period.

I agree.  Mayes even scored the first TD on his feet.  Choosing down there was not just tactically bad, it was a total surrender.