Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

More in explicable "I Choose Down" moment?

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which was more ridiculous?

• Frank Molinaro against Kyle Dake after having just been ridden for ~7 years leading up to the decision
    • Lavion Mayes deciding to go underneath the Terminator, the new Destroyer of Worlds, Zain Retherford
    • Ethan Lizak inexplicably deciding to take bottom when the only thing he's truly good at is top (and gassing out mid second period)

Cenzo' hips are better than Imart's. I can't believe I'm saying this but it's true. Watch Cenzo's hips in action against Massa and Imart, two of the college guys with the best hips at any weight.

Imar is explosive, but he only really does one thing.  The instant that Joseph threatened him in that position, Martinez was lost.  From that point forward in the match, IMar would dig an underhook out of habit, and then retreat from the underhook as soon as Joseph came forward.  At least he retreated until he was losing, and then he had to hang in and he got dumped.  I don't think there is a tactical adjustment Imar can make to beat Joseph going forward.  I think he would need to develop all new offense to win that match.  

I voted for Mayes. I was completely dumbfounded. That said, this is a fantastic poll. All three were amazingly stupid decision. Did Lizak pick down or did his coaches? Someone should be fired for that!!!

I initially thought IMar quit, but when I watched the replay, it looked like he was fighting but literally couldn't move. Different than when he laid down against Nolf, at least to me.

Oh, and I was dumbfounded when Mayes took bottom. That's coaching malpractice right there.

Edited by IronChef

Maybe not the smartest decision either, but bottom is his worst position and he made a comment that the was surprised by Cruz's physical strength. He probably wanted to win the match from his (by far) best position while he was still fresh. Given he took down every single opponent this year, at least I can understand the choice.

If he gets ridden a minute he loses his riding time point, still has to escape, and get a TD. Start on your feet you have a likely point and time to get a TD to either win you the match or send it to OT. 

both were good (JB great), but not "arguably the best wrestler ever" in those positions.

Gregor is definitely an all time great on top, as for JB how many guys won a world title half a year after winning ncass's, and an Olympic gold a year and a half out? i think arguably best ever at neutral is no understatement

Tough call, I went with Molinaro because he had already been ridden forever and then went down. While Zain was clearly on a roll during the tournament there were times when he seemed almost mortal on top during the year. The third option was dumb but not in an epic way IMO.

The mayes pick was awful because his coaches supported it. Molinaro went against his coaches whenot he went down. I'll take mayes on this, although I don't think it would have been remotely close anyways. Lizak may have actually cost himself a title..

If he gets ridden a minute he loses his riding time point, still has to escape, and get a TD. Start on your feet you have a likely point and time to get a TD to either win you the match or send it to OT. 

He could lose his RT pt., escape, and be up 1-0.  He wouldn't have needed a TD to win.

He could lose his RT pt., escape, and be up 1-0. He wouldn't have needed a TD to win.

Or Darian could have planted Gilman for the WBF with his cross-wrist tilt on a mat return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or Darian could have planted Gilman for the WBF with his cross-wrist tilt on a mat return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not arguing the what if's, just pointing out that after getting an escape in sgallan's scenario, he would not need a TD to win.

My moment was not seeing Martinez bridge or fight like his life depended on it.

How many times have we seen Imar on his back in his career?  A lot of times these guys don't practice the art of bridging off their backs or being in trouble because it is so rare that they are put in that position.....especially when they are as elite as martinez is...so if and when that happens they are like a fish out of water.

I think in a vacuum, picking down against Zain is a worse decision than picking down against Dake. Dake was an elite rider but he wasn't turning people and racking up points at the rate Zain does from top. While both were probably the best in their years as top position wrestlers, they were very different. 

Port Robertson and Tommy Evans both told me it was easier to pin a really good wrestler than it was to beat him on points. They explained a really good wrestler doesn't practice getting off his back, that if you put him there they tend to panic. I think that explains both of Imar's losses. Joesph had the overhook really tight, he wasn't going to lose that. Molinaro was the worst choic, because he has already proven he couldn't get away from Dake

I chose Lizak since it could have made a difference in winning or losing. The other two matches against Dake and Retherford were lost causes no matter what they chose. 

Regarding Imar in his two losses by pins, no fight whatsover against Nolf or especially Joseph. If you re-watch his loss to Joseph you will see his right leg kicking up in the air 3 times in a flailing motion once he is put on his back. Nobody ever fought off their back by doing that. Don't know if he was too tired or just conceding the match since he was realistically not going to overcome Joseph's lead at that point. 

He could lose his RT pt., escape, and be up 1-0. He wouldn't have needed a TD to win.

If he lost his riding time pt, Cruz would have earned one. Even with escape score is 1-1 with no further scoring

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If he lost his riding time pt, Cruz would have earned one. Even with escape score is 1-1 with no further scoring

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It was impossible for Cruz to earn a riding time point.  His best case scenario not including a turn would be to even the RT at 0:00.

It was impossible for Cruz to earn a riding time point. His best case scenario not including a turn would be to even the RT at 0:00.

Yes... and in that situation, I would have expected Cruz (if he had not already tilted Gilman) to ride long enough to burn the RT, then cut Gilman & try to win on his feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk