CoachWrestling

Suriano, Fix, and Lee.. who has the better career?

I realize they are both still young but I don't see anything that would lead anybody to believe that Fix would have a better freestyle career than Lee. Nothing. Even beating him head up which I think was kind of a fluke doesn't lead me to believe he would have a better career. Every time he's been on the world stage Fix has not exactly impressed me. Spencer Lee has knocked it out of the park. Sorry if there are any typos but it's voice texting and I'm driving.

I do--injuries.  And he beat him twice head up.  Lee is special, but special at what...110 lbs internationally?  This said, IF injury free, I think Lee will have the better career of either Fix or Suriano, but I think this is a big IF. 

I do--injuries.  And he beat him twice head up.  Lee is special, but special at what...110 lbs internationally?  This said, IF injury free, I think Lee will have the better career of either Fix or Suriano, but I think this is a big IF. 

In 23 minutes you just made 8 different posts referencing Lee and injuries in some way.  We get it.  You think he might get hurt.

I do--injuries. And he beat him twice head up. Lee is special, but special at what...110 lbs internationally? This said, IF injury free, I think Lee will have the better career of either Fix or Suriano, but I think this is a big IF.

He's a lot more special than just at 110.

Injuries are definitely concerning through. From the cheap seats, I feel some of that is due to Lee training regularly with heavier and sometimes much heavier guys to get better workouts. Even an Olympic champion who weighs twice as much as Lee is not immune from injury locking horns with bigger guys all the time.

Injuries are definitely concerning through. From the cheap seats, I feel some of that is due to Lee training regularly with heavier and sometimes much heavier guys to get better workouts. Even an Olympic champion who weighs twice as much as Lee is not immune from injury locking horns with bigger guys all the time.

I think it's fair at this point to say he's special at 110 and really great at weights higher than that.  What's his resume if you only count results above 110?

Do I really need to answer that? He's ranked #1 16 lbs above 110 for shts and giggles?

Serious question because we may be arguing semantics...

Is every wrestler ranked #1 in his HS weight class special?  If so than he has absolutely proven to be special above 110.  But if we are using special more in a 'generational talent that comes along every couple of years' way, then I stand by what I said.  The accomplishments that truly set him apart from other recent recruits (even recruits in his class) are the accomplishments at 110.  

Edited by boconnell

In 23 minutes you just made 8 different posts referencing Lee and injuries in some way.  We get it.  You think he might get hurt.

Why would you actually count and time?  Are you that sensitive to this subject? 

Very good point as he may have to wrestle bigger people for competition...especially at the high school level.  Also goes against Logan Steiber and other older, decorated wrestlers from what I've read.  Unfortunately, injuries are a concern (sorry, Bo...I guess that's nine now) going forward.

Serious question because we may be arguing semantics...

Is every wrestler ranked #1 in his HS weight class special? If so than he has absolutely proven to be special above 110. But if we are using special more in a 'generational talent that comes along every couple of years' way, then I stand by what I said. The accomplishments that truly set him apart from other recent recruits (even recruits in his class) are the accomplishments at 110.

He was the consensus P4P #1 high schooler despite not being at 110 for two straight years until he tore up his knee and decided to givve it a go anyway to accomplish history in his home state. Even after he baaaarely lost while gimpy, most have his as #2 P4P.

I'd say he is "generationally" special at any weight he's wrestled. Just because he hasn't won a world title above 110 does not disqualify him from that description. I think your boy Daton Fix is special and he has zero world titles at any weight, for example.

Very good point as he may have to wrestle bigger people for competition...especially at the high school level. Also goes against Logan Steiber and other older, decorated wrestlers from what I've read. Unfortunately, injuries are a concern (sorry, Bo...I guess that's nine now) going forward.

I haven't just heard it. I've seen it. Gives up 30% of his bodyweight like it was nothing and wrestles HARD. It impresses me but I always cringe. He's just a kid, not even in a man's body yet, and he's butting heads with all-time college greats and very highly ranked HS peers bigger than him. NOT smart to do it too often. I'm sure Brands will put a kibosh on that more often than not, and at Iowa, he won't have to give up any weight to get as much hard training as he wants and then some. Their room is full of 125 lb animals.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Lee--last year major shoulder or elbow surgery(I think it was shoulder) this year a torn ACL---It will be interesting to see how is college career unfolds, this kid has competed for many years in a very physical sport at 18 years old, 2 major injuries--I wish him the best but I have doubts of 4 healthy years.. 

Fix will be a 2 timer

Nick---will have more NC rings then both combined.if your counting team championships----But I do believe that Nick will win a least 2 individual titles.

I am never one to immediately project national championship(s) for high school studs, too many what ifs (albeit lee is very special)  can someone post some of the great 125'ers from years past and maybe we can try to do a comparison of skills sets?  How does lee stack up in various positions to some of the all time greats?

I just don't see a kid who had major injuries his Junior and Senior year in high school being injury-free in college.  Of course this is what we would like, but there is also a certain amount of pragmatism that should be used. 

You'll note I said "force" without making any specific prediction. I am aware of his injuries but with more than a year to heal and a college room with a history of nurturing great wrestlers I expect him to perform.  

I, for one, didn't have Lee as the P4P #1 since Fix beat him 2 in a row a couple years ago.. The time he tried bumping up to a bigger weight he didn't even make the Cadet world team.

Everyone makes such a big deal about Fix beating Lee. This is about college folkstyle projections, not freestyle. Fix won the first match 5-5 on criteria, IIRC, and people act like Fix outclassed him. The second match was close as well. Lee got out to big leads with takedowns then wore out because Fix was bigger and stronger. Folkstyle rules Lee would've won, even being outweighed by probably 10 lbs at the time.

Everyone makes such a big deal about Fix beating Lee. This is about college folkstyle projections, not freestyle. Fix won the first match 5-5 on criteria, IIRC, and people act like Fix outclassed him. The second match was close as well. Lee got out to big leads with takedowns then wore out because Fix was bigger and stronger. Folkstyle rules Lee would've won, even being outweighed by probably 10 lbs at the time.

I understand your reasoning that a freestyle win is no guarantee that Fix is better.  I agree.  

But I can't understand how you then ignore that logic and use a freestyle match that Lee lost to prove Lee would've won in folkstyle. 

Can he actually do this? I thought a wrestler had 5 years after high school to wrestle Div 1? I am not certain--just my understanding unless an Olympic or Medical can be had.

5 years once you enroll in college.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Should I f*** things up and throw Arujau and Yanni's name into this loop.

I think Yanni projects to start at 141, so he shouldn't be in the loop.  Arujau definitely is in the loop, and he is really good.  Fix and Suriano may end up at 133 and Arujau would be very competitive with them.  I saw him this summer in Free...very impressive.

I think Yanni projects to start at 141, so he shouldn't be in the loop.  Arujau definitely is in the loop, and he is really good.  Fix and Suriano may end up at 133 and Arujau would be very competitive with them.  I saw him this summer in Free...very impressive.

No, Arujau will go 141 after bulking up next year. Yianni wil then move up to 149. Neither will ever meet the three midgets discussed in this thread.

5 years once you enroll in college.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That 5 years would not include and additional Oly RS which would make it six.  Also a "greyshirt" means taking a year off prior to enrolling in college (so the clock doesn't start)  so add a year for that.