Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Rob Koll

I think he prefers the management side of coaching. Communicating with alumni/donors and networking with those in the wrestling community that can steer athletes Cornell's way, are things that Koll does very well. I wonder if he would rather be an AD at this point in his career. I know he continues to pursue that elusive National Championship but with the incredible surgence of Penn State and schools like Ohio State, it's not likely to come in the near future.

I would not be surprised if he eventually became the AD with Hahn taking over. Perhaps Dake would then become the associate HC. I don't think this will happen anytime soon.

If Koll moved on anytime soon, the transition would be interesting. Both Grey and Hahn are qualified and both want the job. This is certainly one potential situation where only "1 can tango."

I would not be surprised if he eventually became the AD with Hahn taking over. Perhaps Dake would then become the associate HC. I don't think this will happen anytime soon.

I would think until Dake is done wrestling himself Jordan Leen might be a better choice for an associate HC

Just as Cael moved to Pennsylvania to better his situation and for benefit of his family - if Koll moves up the ladder and it helps him, good for him.

College wrestling appears to have a lot of good young/future coaches waiting in the wings. The success of Cael Sanderson at Penn State is as energizing as that of Dan Gable at Iowa a few decades ago. Good for College wrestling and even better for USA Wrestling.

Only thing lacking is a cohesive and overall strategy to push the sport to a more mainstream level. ESPN broadcasting this hear has to help. The Penn State Five in the finals and Kyle Snyder has to help. Plenty there to build a total advertising campaign around. Coaches like Koll should be advertised heavily and their programs talked up so we pick more fans. The more they know about the athletes, coaches and programs they more they will want to see the sport.

Now, I don't know about right now, but as of a couple years ago, Koll still straps the shoes on and wrestles with his kids.  Not the sign of just wanting to be an administrator.  He has done a great job of boosting the Cornell program and I believe wrestling as a whole, though.

Now, I don't know about right now, but as of a couple years ago, Koll still straps the shoes on and wrestles with his kids.  Not the sign of just wanting to be an administrator.  He has done a great job of boosting the Cornell program and I believe wrestling as a whole, though.

yep, old man Koll can still roll...

https://twitter.com/flowrestling/status/607532524797988865?refsrc=email&s=11

The roster of NCAA champs out of Cornell is mind boggling. It's a tough school academically, it's an Ivy League school and he has attracted, groomed and produced a ridiculous number of champs and AAs. I mean how many 2x or 3x or 4x NCAA champs does any other Ivy, Northwestern or Stanford.

As for the non-mat side of coaching, fund raising, communication, recruiting are all the broader parts of developing a great team. I think of running a wrestling team as similar to being a CEO of a corporation. The coach of a major D1 wrestling program is more like a CEO than a coach in the high school football coach with a whistle round his neck image. To succeed he has to manage, recruit and develop. Brand matters. To have a brand you success. To have success you need a pipeline of great recruits. You need those recruits to succeed. So you need to be working it from all angles. You need a great roster of assistant coaches to help develop the wrestlers. You need to maintain great facilities. You need the program to seem important within the school. Thus you need the school to be committed. You need fans to cheer your guys on. You need to develop the camaraderie that holds a team together. You need to be the team's number one booster, fund raiser, recruiter. You need to use the people around you to build and strengthen all of the above. Koll undoubtedly is one of the best.

You are naive if you think Cornell fans will tolerate a guy who stays on too long any better than other fanbases.

Nevertheless, there is no sign that "too long" is anywhere near...

From all that I hear Cornell fans are pretty happy with Rob at the helm.  Lehigh fans, not so much.

I wouldn't expect any big changes anytime soon.

Edited by redblades

Nevertheless, there is no sign that "too long" is anywhere near...

From all that I hear Cornell fans are pretty happy with Rob at the helm.  Lehigh fans, not so much.

I wouldn't expect any big changes anytime soon.

I agree he is nowhere near the end.

Koll is cornell wrestling. There is no Cornell wrestling without him.

I don't get it why coaches such as Cody move on after building something nice from scratch. Cody let his legacy slip away.

Same reason your boy Jack Spates left for the same school. It's very hard to be nationally competitive out of the EIWA schools in general and he had higher aspirations. I agree it was a bad move, but hindsight is always 20/20. Edited by wrestlingnerd

Koll is cornell wrestling. There is no Cornell wrestling without him.

I don't get it why coaches such as Cody move on after building something nice from scratch. Cody let his legacy slip away.

You'll have wrestling without Koll someday.