Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

Zero freshman wins at NCAA

In my opinion, the higher up in weight you go, the harder it is for the youngins to compete with the top dogs. The difference in strength between your average 19 year old and your average 22-23 year old is pretty significant and strength relative to size plays a much larger role up there. 

In my opinion, the higher up in weight you go, the harder it is for the youngins to compete with the top dogs. The difference in strength between your average 19 year old and your average 22-23 year old is pretty significant and strength relative to size plays a much larger role up there.

I'd agree generally speaking, but still, to only have ONE qualifier and have that guy 0-2 has to be a pretty significant outlier

Thanks Mike. I was wondering when somebody else would actually say this. It's almost 2 different sports. Hell just like hs it's rare for freshman to have success at the higher weights.

Thanks Mike. I was wondering when somebody else would actually say this. It's almost 2 different sports. Hell just like hs it's rare for freshman to have success at the higher weights.

Was an upper weight. Know from experience. 

One of the reasons J'den Cox's career was even more impressive, especially without a redshirt

One of the reasons J'den Cox's career was even more impressive, especially without a redshirt

Agree--same for Snyder.  

I'd argue Kollin Moore was the most impressive all around frosh in the nation this year as well.  Wouldn't win the argument...but I'd bring it up.  

I agree, in HS many heavyweights aren't really wrestling.

You go in unseeded after a nice finish at MACs you draw Kroells lose 6 to 0 going into third down 1 give up some points choosing bottom .Not sure if anyone Noticed Kroells is good on top ask Dejournette whom he teched and Snyder who could not escape him and.even gave up a stall point .Not much you can say about losing 6 0 to a now 3 x AA .Then lose to Crawford a top 20 guy by 1 hes also good on top ask Butler whom he beat worse than Austin .TO NOT GIVE UP ANY TD TO THOSE GUYS AND ONLY LOSE BY 7 combined ? Im good with that if your not oh well .Guys in the class who graduated in 2011 and rs srs along with a huge range of styles and skills .Hard for a fresh under 6 foot to do well even harder for one under 5 11.Smith did well by Austin he was much improved at MACs beating guys who maj him earlier in.the yr and going double ot with someone who didnt take a shot the whole match and.never got.called for stalling who beat him 4 zip earlier .Im happy as heck with that a lot of learning curve particularly for 4 x 220 in HS wrestling the best Heavies in college on Mizzous schedule.

Austin Myers no e

Edited by MACTruck

What does this really indicate? Is it a precursor to 285 being dreadfully awful in the coming years once the upper classmen clear out? Open opportunities for young 285s for early success? Are the current upperclassmen exceptionally deep with talent or that the incoming class was just incredibly soft? I guess it is all a matter of prospective.

In High School the upperweights are dominated by upper classmen its the same in college except on a bigger scale with some being held back or sitting yrs and training before entering college as fresh and.then you have Olympic RS and srs taking rs .Takes longer to peak for a bigger athlete .Its not that complicated in High school freshman come in at lower weights and are in the mix you do not see many freshman winning state titles at the upper weights .Not to mention some 220s go up and its a bit harder some like Jden who won state titles at 220 and Hvy Go down others go 197 and then bunp .

In High School the upperweights are dominated by upper classmen its the same in college except on a bigger scale with some being held back or sitting yrs and training before entering college as fresh and.then you have Olympic RS and srs taking rs .Takes longer to peak for a bigger athlete .Its not that complicated in High school freshman come in at lower weights and are in the mix you do not see many freshman winning state titles at the upper weights .Not to mention some 220s go up and its a bit harder some like Jden who won state titles at 220 and Hvy Go down others go 197 and then bunp .

Or you could say that the incoming upper weight talent pool is thinner because more bigger kids decide to focus on other options-ie, football. Simple math, less talent to draw from.

I would say some opt for football but not the best the problem with Freshman at heavy is its a very tough class that includes the only world and Olympic champ a ton of rs olympic rs and late starters and a huge weight range .Two AAs this yr graduated in 2011and one is a soph I mean its not rocket science figuring out the upperclassmen will dominate and as the heavy fans say their class is tough due to the sise and weight differential the lighter weight fans say its watered down due to bigger athletes chosing other sports .I would bet that this yrs heavy group included more rs and late starters than any other group ever ,just a hunch and it takes time for a fresh to adjust to college wrestling more so for heavies by far than any other class.