Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Most Controversial Calls in Wrestling

Johny Hendricks Vs Ryan Churella has been brought up about a million times, but what are some of the others?

How about Brad Dillon of Lehigh Vs Robbie Waller of Oklahoma in the 2003 NCAA Semi-Finals? A lot of people felt that Dillon got hosed in that match. Ironically Dillon had an almost identical loss to Curtis Owen of Arizona State in the consolation semi-finals that followed and the next year had some controversial calls once again go against him in his quarter-final match with Ben Askren of Missouri.

Just this past year a lot of fans feel that Justin Zeerip was robbed out of a win against Nick Heflin.

How about Dylan Long and Teyon ware in the 2003 141 lbs finals?

I actually felt Long got screwed more so the following year vs Ware in the quarter-finals.

What other matches have been decided by controversial calls?

Just this year, the 133, 184, and 285 NCAA finals matches had some controversy. Obviously 133 got the most attention, but I believe the call in OT at 184 was hasty, and it's tough to see how the 133 shot wasn't a takedown but the 285 one was (different officials, I know).

*Not all took place on the mat*

2001 Big Five finals at 174 with Tyrone Lewis pinning Perry Parks from Iowa State at 1:19 in what looked like a touch fall, from what I remember.

Just about anything involving Cary Kolat on the senior level. That dude had it rough there for a while.

Randy Lewis and Lee Roy Smith in 1984.

Matt Lindland and Keith Sieracki in 2000.

Mark Schultz against the Turk during the '84 Games.

Ryan Lewis vs Johnny Thompson

03' I can actually see the point that some say. The back points were called awful fast. I can admit to that. In 04' though, Thompson was simply the better wrestler on the mat that day. He wasn't allowing Lewis to counter on him and people want to cry "controversial" and "stalling". Last time I checked shooting a double leg takedown was an offensive maneuver.

and gotta say, after further review, that the Owings NF was mighty cotton pickin quick

I believe the term back then was predicament for a 2 pter. I don't think the time became a factor until later. Strictly proximity to the mat.

I second brad dillon getting screwed the worst.. Muz was bad, and Snyder vs Becker was bad. Don't remember him getting screwed that bad against TJ but remember him close to finishing multiples times... Would have to watch again.

How about Rad Martinez & Johnny Thompson in NCAA the semi-finals. The next year the NCAA rules video had two segments (points of emphasis) that where the official made errors in calling stalling/stalemate. Which cost Martinez a trip to the finals against Lewis.

J Jaggers had a 3-2 lead on Dominick Moyer two matches away from All American in the consolation round one year. Every time Jaggers got in danger of being scored upon he'd yell out in pain and the action would be stopped to get a fresh start over. I don't have anything against Jaggers, glad he won 2 NCAA championships his next two years, but the officiating that match was crap.

I always though Don Fisch got a bad call against Ryan Lang in the 2007 semis and Fisch should have made the finales. But it has been a long times since I have seen the match so it might not be as bad as I thought.

lowrider-I remember that now. I remember thinking WTF is Don Fisch doing in the semis. Lol. Good tourney put together by Fisch who was either a low seed or unseeded if I remember correctly.

He put together one heck of a tournament run that year, because I do not think he sniffed AA again.

He knocked off AA Casio Pero, AA Manny Rivera, Pinned AA Brandon Rader. Both loses were 3-2 to Lang and 6-5 Charles Griffin

I Stand corrected he made round of 12 in 05 losing to Churella in OT, beating Leen, Tshirt, but was teched by Coop in the round of 12

Saw my 1st NCAA championships in 1962 at Gallagher Hall. I've probably attended 75% of them since 1972. Some that come to mind are two when there was only one 30 seconds ride out in OT.

Stephen Neal hits standing Granby against Kerry McCoy. Ref calls a bogus stalling call late to tie up the match. Neal loses in OT.

John Kadingvwrestling with a bad knee and hip, scores the only takedown against Fulhardt. Same thing happens to Kading that happened to Neal.

I had really good seats 3rd row in OKC, hendricks got two of the most favorable calls i've ever seen in the semis and finals.

What i remember in the 80s was a lot of bogus stalling calls in Iowa's favor. They win the Sumo contest, but wren't really taking risks to score. Now i've coached high school kids to win the same way. I didn't like to do it, but my job was to help kids win matches legally.

Ryan Lewis vs Johnny Thompson

03' I can actually see the point that some say. The back points were called awful fast. I can admit to that. In 04' though, Thompson was simply the better wrestler on the mat that day. He wasn't allowing Lewis to counter on him and people want to cry "controversial" and "stalling". Last time I checked shooting a double leg takedown was an offensive maneuver.

The victors write history. Johnny Thompson will be forever known as the young man who heroically struggled through a series of crippling lung injuries by strategically employing every inch of the rulebook to his advantage.

That said, you don't become an NCAA champion by fluke. Mr Thompson has my (grudging) respect.