Sign in to follow this  
Badger Fan

Should College Weight Classes be Reviewed?

It seems like 125 has become increasingly difficult to fill because many wrestlers that start at 125 outgrow the weight.

And there seems to be quite a few 197 lbers that cut quite a bit of weight so they do not have to wrestle heavyweight.  

A weight class around 210 - 220 could be an interesting one in college.

Maybe all of the weight classes should be bumped up a few pounds.

Should be reviewed.  Without knowing the results of a review, we can't know if cahnges are warranted.

However, I do suspect that some changes would be good for the sport.  A few weights have significantly higher numbers than some others.  Of course, this goes back to the debate if each weight range should be divided in an attempt to encapsulate and equal number of athletes, or if weight classes should be evenly divided so that the splits in weights are all the same.

.. start at 133 and add a 220 would be neat....

It seems like 125 has become increasingly difficult to fill because many wrestlers that start at 125 outgrow the weight.

I implore you, please, let's not advocate for a higher and higher starting weight.  There were several wrestlers on my college team alone who could have made 118 safely and thrived.  Too bad it wasn’t around still.  There are a lot of T.J. Hill’s around for whom 125 already puts them at a disadvantage, you just don’t see them much because they are mostly wrestling non-D1 and not starting.  Wrestling is supposed to be as inclusive as possible and raising the lowest weight again only means making even more wrestlers “invisible”.  I say add back in 118 lbs and echo Zebra’s call for going to mat-side weigh-ins.

Edited by Yellow_Medal

I, and my son, are bigger guys but I think you need to start the lower class lower. We are losing out on a lot of kids. However, for rhere not to be a weight between 197 and 285 is crazy. Is there a reason which I am overlooking? Why mot a 220-225 like hs?

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, a weight needs to be inserted there as well.  The current class gaps/increases, proportional to body weight works out like below.  If you added the 235 lbs class like the NCWA, their would be a 19.3% increase from 197 lbs.  That's not too bad, considering the proportion of the male population up there.  As is, there is a 44.7% increase from 197 to 285.  That is roughly 6x higher than the second-highest jump (7.1% for 184 to 197).  Of course, to make the analysis more meaningful, you would have to weight these numbers against the % of the college-aged males in these classes, but I think that we should favor fairness to different body weights over evening out the number of competitors in each class.  

133 = 6.4% increase

141 = 6.0%

149 = 5.7%

157 = 5.4%

165 = 5.1%

174 = 5.5%

184 = 5.7%

197 = 7.1%

235 = 19.3% 285 = 44.7%

285 = 21.3%

I implore you, please, let's not advocate for a higher and higher starting weight.  There were several wrestlers on my college team alone who could have made 118 safely and thrived.  Too bad it wasn’t around still.  There are a lot of T.J. Hill’s around for whom 125 already puts them at a disadvantage, you just don’t see them much because they are mostly wrestling non-D1 and not starting.  Wrestling is supposed to be as inclusive as possible and raising the lowest weight again only means making even more wrestlers “invisible”.  I say add back in 118 lbs and echo Zebra’s call for going to mat-side weigh-ins.

.... 60 years old and i've never been implored- is that good or bad?...

There should not be a weight class added between heavyweight and 197. Simply put, there aren't enough quality competitors in that weight range to make it viable. Look at how thin high school upper weights are. Why would you want to create another weight class and have it be the weakest one in wrestling every year?

Edited by PA Power

How many heavyweights actually weigh 285 though? I'm willing to bet all the other weights the guys come in at the top of their weight class...

The reason I'm generally against adding a weight class between 197 and 285 is because I've always viewed 285 as a weight RANGE where as the other weight classes as a weight limit.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

If the weights were adjusted to lessen the gap between 197 and 285 I would be for seeing them like this.

Take the current weight classes and add 1lbs to the differential that current exists between each weight class. IE currently there is an 8lbs differential between the first 6 weights. Increase the differential to 9lbs.. and so forth.

Bringing 197 up to 205 would help fill out the 2nd highest weight class out a bit and lessen the gap between the top two weights. It would also keep the general formation of rosters intact without blowing up the whole system.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

The NCAA/NWCA has the certification numbers for every college wrestler as well as the number of athletes in each weight at every open and invitational tournament. It seems like there should be a way to reset the weights so that there is opportunity for athletes on the ends while also ensuring a roughly equal number of athletes at each weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The NCAA/NWCA has the certification numbers for every college wrestler as well as the number of athletes in each weight at every open and invitational tournament. It seems like there should be a way to reset the weights so that there is opportunity for athletes on the ends while also ensuring a roughly equal number of athletes at each weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And they screwed up the high school weights with that system. I still don't understand the logic behind removing a weight class where the largest and most concentrated area of talent and put it in an area that was pretty weak...

1 hour weigh in before stepping on the mat for every round of every competition.

Which would be a logistical nightmare. It would require additional staff to run these round by round weigh ins.

It would also just decrease the number or participants substantially due to wrestlers getting scratched from brackets constantly mid competition.

IMO something like this could very well KILL the sport.

I really wish something would be added between 197 and HWT but I get the inherent issue with doing so. There should be an odd number of weights to begin with so this would be a logical place to start. 

Which would be a logistical nightmare. It would require additional staff to run these round by round weigh ins.

It would also just decrease the number or participants substantially due to wrestlers getting scratched from brackets constantly mid competition.

IMO something like this could very well KILL the sport.

No it won't. This can be done at the head table quite easily and once the kids learn they have to move up a weight (or maybe two) it will become a moot point.