Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Metcalf a Cyclone?

Wonder how good of a recruiter he is. Do high schoolers idolize him still?

I'm guessing not so much. A lot of two time champs around and his international resume never quite got there. 

If Brent goes to Ames, what about the Paulsens? And where is Zadick in all this? But if Dresser is able to amass all this talent as apart of his new staff, this would be an immediate signal that the Cyclons are seriously moving to make an impact on the wrestling landscape.

It's interesting to me that Metcalf is joining Dresser's staff. If I remember correctly he was given the option of wrrstling under Dresser and competing at Vtech for his redshift freshman season and then transfer to Iowa without losing a season of eligibility, but he chose not to.

I'm guessing not so much. A lot of two time champs around and his international resume never quite got there.

But he was a huge name in college. And super highly touted in high school. Anyone who followed back then knows how good he was.

Wish he had medaled

It's interesting to me that Metcalf is joining Dresser's staff. If I remember correctly he was given the option of wrrstling under Dresser and competing at Vtech for his redshift freshman season and then transfer to Iowa without losing a season of eligibility, but he chose not to.

Wasn't a slight to dresser. Just wanted to work with Brands.

At the time, Dresser was unproven at that level and Metcalf was one of the top recruits in the nation.

If brands left Iowa, Spencer Lee would follow too

Wasn't a slight to dresser. Just wanted to work with Brands.

At the time, Dresser was unproven at that level and Metcalf was one of the top recruits in the nation.

If brands left Iowa, Spencer Lee would follow too

Would he be willing to burn a year of eligibility though?

That was one thing that always irked me about Metcalf's transfer. Obviously not my decision to make, but Metcalf would have been a 4x AA had he wrestled his redshirt freshman year at VTech.. who knows maybe he would have won it that season over Gillespie...

So, after I made my post, I read the article posted which states that Zadick is going to Ames with Brent. So good for Dresser and the Cyclones. However, I still don't know where the Paulsens figure in all this but hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

Can't wait for next year super excited for Kanon Storr and Ian Parker. They just go two great coaches around their weigh. Maybe Metcalf can talk his high school teammate and former cyclone Jon Reader to come back to ISU to work with the upper weights. They would have to get rid of St. John but I'd make that trade off. I doubt that happens as that would be an expensive coaching staff.

With Dresser and Metcalf teaming up, looks like Brands is the only one still worked up about him leaving VT.

Head Coach - Dresser

Head Assistant - Zadick

2nd Assistant - St John

Volunteer & RTC coach - Metcalf

Dir of Operations - ????

Paulsons are out.  They will find work.  Maybe Pitt

Him joining Dresser is noteworthy. They are investing some money in that program now. Iowa State could be a force in a couple of years.

Edited by TBar1977

Watched Metcalf at Iowa and thought "cyborg wrestler". Seemed like an automaton and rolled over people using "Iowa Style" without being/appearing creative and fun on the mat. Then he lost to Caldwell.

He seemed more human after that and appeared to get even better.

Hope he does a great job coaching. Everything I saw of him after getting past my prejudiced view of Iowa wrestling tells me he is a class individual. He did a good job representing the US in International tournaments. No matter that he did not win it all - he gave his all with no excuses.

Good luck to him and especially Iowa State. Hope they get back to at least close to where they were before Dan Gable was hired by Iowa.