Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Metcalf a Cyclone?

The last time I was this excited about a head coaching change was in 2009 when Cael Sanderson was hired at PSU. I'm hoping Dresser and his new staff turn ISU back into a powerhouse once again and contend for NCAA titles year in and year out.

Not gonna happen. Unless being top 10 with an occasional top 5 is considered contending. 

Not gonna happen. Unless being top 10 with an occasional top 5 is considered contending. 

You might want to hold off on making that statement.  Although I guess that's the point of message boards though!

Here's what I can tell you, and makes me think Iowa could fall behind Iowa State with Brands at the helm

re: Iowa

With Brands at the helm they are losing some of their luster and they are not dogged-recruiters-type.  While Iowa will always have a certain appeal to in-state kids and a national brand that ISU does not, that can easily be overcome.  And recruiting in-state kids is not that big of a deal considering Iowa high schools are pretty low in depth of talent

re: ISU

Dresser is a proven CEO.  The administration is already flooding the school with funds - Dresser is a GREAT fundraiser.  I'm talking, 6-figure check in hand after a dinner great.

Zadick IS the dogged-recruiter type.  And he's GREAT in the room.  Kids really do flock to him, he seems to genuinely care about his athletes and his athletes respond.  

Metcalf is going to be a GREAT coach.  It sounds like as the volunteer assistant, he's going to be killing it in the realm of the Cyclone Wrestling Club.  This is a huge area of need that Iowa currently is lacking.  A consistent Senior-level club.  If Dresser can pull of an Ohio State type environment, with a club that is pushing tOSU and Nittany Lion, ISU will become the brand name school in the state of Iowa.  I don't mean that the Cyclone Wrestling Club needs to have multiple World representatives - but if Dresser can attract (read: pay) Senior level guys in a way the Hawks can't.... He's going to consistently beat the Hawks.

I'm guessing not so much. A lot of two time champs around and his international resume never quite got there. 

Yeah... but winning 7 "Stop Signs" at Fargo probably still carries a bit of weight 

You might want to hold off on making that statement. Although I guess that's the point of message boards though!

Here's what I can tell you, and makes me think Iowa could fall behind Iowa State with Brands at the helm

re: Iowa

With Brands at the helm they are losing some of their luster and they are not dogged-recruiters-type. While Iowa will always have a certain appeal to in-state kids and a national brand that ISU does not, that can easily be overcome. And recruiting in-state kids is not that big of a deal considering Iowa high schools are pretty low in depth of talent

re: ISU

Dresser is a proven CEO. The administration is already flooding the school with funds - Dresser is a GREAT fundraiser. I'm talking, 6-figure check in hand after a dinner great.

Zadick IS the dogged-recruiter type. And he's GREAT in the room. Kids really do flock to him, he seems to genuinely care about his athletes and his athletes respond.

Metcalf is going to be a GREAT coach. It sounds like as the volunteer assistant, he's going to be killing it in the realm of the Cyclone Wrestling Club. This is a huge area of need that Iowa currently is lacking. A consistent Senior-level club. If Dresser can pull of an Ohio State type environment, with a club that is pushing tOSU and Nittany Lion, ISU will become the brand name school in the state of Iowa. I don't mean that the Cyclone Wrestling Club needs to have multiple World representatives - but if Dresser can attract (read: pay) Senior level guys in a way the Hawks can't.... He's going to consistently beat the Hawks.

Everything you said about Zadick is said about Morningstar by those in the know. What's the biggest recruit Zadick brought to VT? Morningstar has Kemerer, Marinelli, Lee, and Warner to his name.

Everything you said about Zadick is said about Morningstar by those in the know. What's the biggest recruit Zadick brought to VT? Morningstar has Kemerer, Marinelli, Lee, and Warner to his name.

Agreed.  What I meant to post was - while TNT are NOT the dogged-recruiter-types Dresser and Zadick ARE.  So no, while Zadick currently has no top-billing names he has recruited yet, I emphasize that "yet."

Could I be wrong?  yep.  But I won't be if the Cyclone Wrestling Club becomes flush with money and athletes can train (read: get paid) there.

With the Iowa program really becoming stale and less effective in recent years, one has to consider kids may view the same thing that's abundantly clear to adults, and perhaps they're ready for an in state alternative to Iowa.   And if they can have coaches who are in state heroes like Metcalf and Zadick, while not having to go to Iowa, that may be enough to have them choosing ISU.    The PA lightweight kid, Iowa decommit may have seen the writing on the wall and abandoned ship.     I hate to say this because I love the Iowa program, but I believe the over weight lady is warming up her singing voice  in Iowa City.  

Brent Metcalf a Cyclone.    I never would have believed it.   

My understanding about Lee is that we actually have McDonough to mostly thank for him.  The other guys though are a big credit to Morningstar.

LOL, if Brands fired his staff and hired the same guys ISU did you clowns would call Zadick another jumping monkey, say Metcalf is a burned out robot DSJ too quiet or whatever trendy insult you can come up with.

LOL, if Brands fired his staff and hired the same guys ISU did you clowns would call Zadick another jumping monkey, say Metcalf is a burned out robot DSJ too quiet or whatever trendy insult you can come up with.

Honestly, I don't think so.  First and foremost, the hiring of Brent Metcalf would be seen as a plus by everyone.  DSJ, while quiet, actually wrestled to score points and could scramble his tiny little white butt off.  Most people would see those two as upgrades, especially Hawk fans, who were none enamored with the hiring of Morningstall.  

Dresser did a great job.  

My understanding about Lee is that we actually have McDonough to mostly thank for him.  The other guys though are a big credit to Morningstar.

my hunch is that you also have Strittmater to thank quite a bit for Lee, and for Kem as well. Club coaches may become more and more key in the recruiting process, maybe more so than the HS coaches in some cases. 

my hunch is that you also have Strittmater to thank quite a bit for Lee, and for Kem as well. Club coaches may become more and more key in the recruiting process, maybe more so than the HS coaches in some cases. 

Everybody has been pretty clear that Stritt did not push the kids or encourage them one way or the other.  A bunch of Young Guns went to several non-Iowa schools, so I think that's a reach, personally.

Strittmatter has done a phenomenal job of maintaining independence from any program, and it shows with the diversity of schools his club kids enroll at. But the fact that he was a Hawkeye can only help Iowa, even if a little. You can't help but look up to coaches you respect. It's wired into our DNA. That not offset the massive gravitational pull from neighboring dynasty PSU, though.

Now that the club has been in existence long enough to have its "graduates" have their own legacies, how well Lee, Kemdog, Young, etc. do at Iowa will have more of an impact than anything else. Obviously, Former Young Guns Nolf and Joseph have now done more than enough to make PSU the first consideration for many YG stars. But very strong showings by the Iowa Young Guns could even that recruiting edge over the next couple few years.

Separately, who are the PSU Young Guns? Nolf, Cenzo, Gulibon, McCutcheon... who am I missing? 

I love when people make up things that never happened and use them to support their point.

I love when people make up things that never happened and use them to support their point.

People have been calling Metcalf a burned out robot for years.  That's not something BLT made up.

Strittmatter has done a phenomenal job of maintaining independence from any program, and it shows with the diversity of schools his club kids enroll at. But the fact that he was a Hawkeye can only help Iowa, even if a little. You can't help but look up to coaches you respect. It's wired into our DNA. That not offset the massive gravitational pull from neighboring dynasty PSU, though.

Now that the club has been in existence long enough to have its "graduates" have their own legacies, how well Lee, Kemdog, Young, etc. do at Iowa will have more of an impact than anything else. Obviously, Former Young Guns Nolf and Joseph have now done more than enough to make PSU the first consideration for many YG stars. But very strong showings by the Iowa Young Guns could even that recruiting edge over the next couple few years.

Separately, who are the PSU Young Guns? Nolf, Cenzo, Gulibon, McCutcheon... who am I missing? 

Sure, there may be some residual "rub off" for the kids knowing that Stritt was a Hawk, but there's not much to be done about that.  It just is what it is.  As you freely say, though, there is zero indication of active pushing to any school, let alone Iowa.  As to the Penn State young Guns, Nico was a Young Gun, too.  I think those are all the most recent starters on Penn State that were in the club.