Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Metcalf a Cyclone?

Wonder how good of a recruiter he is. Do high schoolers idolize him still?

In Michigan I would think so.  Gabe Dean mentioned that Metcalf was his favorite wrestler growing up.  Metcalf was a favorite of mine because of his relentlessness--very similar in Nolf. 

It's interesting to me that Metcalf is joining Dresser's staff. If I remember correctly he was given the option of wrrstling under Dresser and competing at Vtech for his redshift freshman season and then transfer to Iowa without losing a season of eligibility, but he chose not to.

I am a little surprised with Metcalf since I would have thought Iowa would have found a role for him, somewhere.  I would think Cael would find a role for Taylor when he is ready, too, but who knows.  Those two wrestlers greatly helped both new coaches get off to a great start, and sort of became the face of the program...to some extent while they were there. 

Wasn't a slight to dresser. Just wanted to work with Brands.

At the time, Dresser was unproven at that level and Metcalf was one of the top recruits in the nation.

If brands left Iowa, Spencer Lee would follow too

I don't know about this...depends who the replacement was, I guess. 

Am I the only one who thinks Dresser is putting together a staff that can battle the Hawkeyes for recruits?  I think that's the lesson learned from Cael's days at ISU.  

I think he will challenge, for sure.  It may take a while to build, but perhaps not too long. 

I am cautiously optimistic with the announcement of Dresser's assistant coaches.  I am somewhat saddened that with Iowa State's great wrestling history the entire coaching staff is now made up of former Hawkeyes.  I want Iowa State to become a great wrestling program again, but not a clone of Iowa.  I want to see a notable demonstration of sportsmanship by our coaches and athletes.  If Dresser doesn't deliver that from the get go, let him go somewhere else.

I don't mean transfers still with eligibility. I mean coaches. Does Dresser have many former athletes in the coaches ranks? I can't think of any off the top of my head but I am not an expert on the matter. 

I thought I heard Ty Walz was going to be helping with the RTC...

I don't mean transfers still with eligibility. I mean coaches. Does Dresser have many former athletes in the coaches ranks? I can't think of any off the top of my head but I am not an expert on the matter.

Brascetta is at UTC. Grey is at an ivy school, I think

The kids today follow these guys on their Twitter, Instagram, FB, etc.    Gone are the days of not knowing the athlete's accomplishments, with Google one click away.    Back in our day, we relied on 2nd hand accounts, magazine articles, and the occasionally televised bout or event.     Today someone mentions Brent to a high schooler and if by some miracle he doesn't know him, by the end of the hour, his curiosity has led to numerous articles, videos, results, etc.  Will Brent be recruiting Chinese wrestlers?   Will Gilman eventually one day recruit Japanese wrestlers?   I don't know, but you can bet those wrestlers will know who they are.     

BM was in Colorado and stopped at our high school to do a 2 hour clinic on freestyle. I wanted solid proof that he had moved to Ames. It's true. This thread may now end.

Is it just me, or does Metcalf look a little chubby?

Is it just me, or does Metcalf look a little chubby?

He was always stocky, and the loose clothes in that pic make him look heavier than he is. Looks like he might have some slight love handles, but could just be the top of his sweats under his shirt.