Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

65KG US Open

I can accept that.    Lets be clear, Pico more than backed up the hype.   An Olympic trials finals berth and tied 4-4 in the 3rd bout?   Wins over Oliver, Molinaro, Humphries, multiple NCAA champs and Hodge winners, all by age 18?     It gets no closer to that without being the Olympian.    And all those guys were in the bracket.   Pico flat out deserved the hype and he proved it.    Shame we lose him to MMA so early.      

I'm not arguing....he has beaten formidable opponents, but rarely finished the job.   Like win a Junior World Title,  US Open, or Olympic Trials.  Zain is on a path, where he's kickin' butt, winning titles and improving along the way.  

I'm not arguing....he has beaten formidable opponents, but rarely finished the job.   Like win a Junior World Title,  US Open, or Olympic Trials.  Zain is on a path, where he's kickin' butt, winning titles and improving along the way.  

Pico is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch, he seems like a great guy in his interviews and was always ready to scrap. He didn't have the highest wrestling IQ, and would falter if people began to block off his left High-C; Logan Steiber showed that in their one match together where Steiber made Pico approach him and enter his scrambling skills.

However, there has to be some context to your list:

- His first Junior World, he lost against Yazdani, the same "kid" who went on to dominate against Nick Marable, Alex Dieringer, James Green (although Green did pretty damn good), and ended up winning the Olympics.

- His second Junior World, he lost on a questionable match and ended up getting third.

- I don't remember his US Open. Is that the one where he got bombed by Humphrey? That was a sick throw. I believe against Humphrey, Pico is like 2/3 wins against Humphrey's 1.

- US Trials: He lost to Molinaro, but I remember seeing one of the series' matches, and Molinaro shot (I believe) right before the whistle, and took Pico out for 4. Respect to Molinaro, he did fantastic in the Olympics and proved every naysayer wrong (including me), but I think that was a pretty suspect action on his part.