Sign in to follow this  
Michigan wrestling

NCAA final 2019-2022

Two and a half out of four will have to do. I was hoping to not go back to St. Louis so soon, and I am bearish on the fan experience in a football stadium.

Here is an artist's rendition of how it might look when they host a basketball game in Minneapolis next season.

ows_147344263565009.jpg

Two and a half out of four will have to do. I was hoping to not go back to St. Louis so soon, and I am bearish on the fan experience in a football stadium.

Here is an artist's rendition of how it might look when they host a basketball game in Minneapolis next season.

ows_147344263565009.jpg

That will not be the wrestling configuration. The Minneapolis bid expects a seating configuration of about 24,000 with the mats more towards one of the end zones vs. centered like many of the anti-domers expect. 

That will not be the wrestling configuration. The Minneapolis bid expects a seating configuration of about 24,000 with the mats more towards one of the end zones vs. centered like many of the anti-domers expect.

Which is the configuration Syracuse Basketball uses for the Carrier Dome which is also their football stadium.

This setup allows for greater seating than a typical basketball arena. It is why Syracuse is regularly in the top two for home attendance.

For comparison, anticipated seating of 24k would be about 5k more seats available than the PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh which is about 25% more seats.

WK-AT084_SYRACU_G_20100304164517.jpg

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/WK-AT084_SYRACU_G_20100304164517.jpg

Edited by Pinnum

Hopefully Las Vegas on the next go around. Until there is any expansion in the southeast, they don't deserve it. I believe 1 total division 1 program in all of Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina.   

are the 5 D1 programs in Virginia enough for that state to deserve to host? How about the 7 D1 programs in North Carolina (there was no ban on NC sites in this round by the way).

Ohio, Illinois and Michigan have 4 D1 programs each. Missouri has 1.  

Hopefully Las Vegas on the next go around. Until there is any expansion in the southeast, they don't deserve it. I believe 1 total division 1 program in all of Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina.

You're going to cite a lack of programs in the region as the reason to avoid a part of the country while championing Vegas?

There are only five (5) D1 teams within 500 miles of Vegas. That's roughly a ten hour drive! There are only 2,419 high school wrestler in Nevada and not one college program.

There are 11 D1 teams within 500 miles of Atlanta. There are 8,392 high school wrestlers in the state of

Georgia and a handful college programs.

One person already said they view Pittsburgh as being in the Midwest. I guess it could be safe to assume some people might even believe North Carolina and Virginia not to be in the Southeast. 

The census calls Pittsburgh in the Northeast, because they don't break up states, and nobody is going to call Philadelphia a Midwestern city without being described as wrong. Would Pittsburgh continue to be in the Northeast, according to the census, if Pennsylvania were to be divided at the Susquehanna River (just to use an example)? I have my doubts.

The census calls Pittsburgh in the Northeast, because they don't break up states, and nobody is going to call Philadelphia a Midwestern city without being described as wrong. Would Pittsburgh continue to be in the Northeast, according to the census, if Pennsylvania were to be divided at the Susquehanna River (just to use an example)? I have my doubts.

Pittsburgh-ish resident (but not native) here. I don't think folks here consider themselves to be midwesterners. Ohioans do but SWPA residents don't. 

Pittsburgh and Buffalo are midwestern cities.

but if they aren't, then they're something else, because they're still not east coast cities. 

Virginia you can lump in with Mid-Atlantic or even Northeast if you want to annoy everyone except the recent vintage Northern Virginians. but North Carolina? that is still NASCAR country, despite all the relocated yankees. Southeast, no question. 

anyway, this I have decided and my ruling is final. 

also the wrestling championship can be in Las Vegas, Atlanta, Florida or anywhere else, but those cities still need to put together competitive bids. 

that ruling is also final. 

Since it is going to be in the Burgh 2019, and that is my home area (live out west now). I will have to plan the family vacation around that. I have never been able to attend the NCAA's in the past. I am trying to go this year in Cleve. but cant find any tickets yet.

Do they normal sell tickets to the public for these, or do you have to know someone.

Pittsburgh and Buffalo are midwestern cities.

but if they aren't, then they're something else, because they're still not east coast cities. 

Virginia you can lump in with Mid-Atlantic or even Northeast if you want to annoy everyone except the recent vintage Northern Virginians. but North Carolina? that is still NASCAR country, despite all the relocated yankees. Southeast, no question. 

anyway, this I have decided and my ruling is final. 

also the wrestling championship can be in Las Vegas, Atlanta, Florida or anywhere else, but those cities still need to put together competitive bids. 

that ruling is also final.

Buffalo is East Coast (or Great Lakes Region). I think of Pittsburgh and Erie as the same.

Midwestern seems to be used by some people as a catch all to simply mean culturally different that the coastal metro-centers.

are the 5 D1 programs in Virginia enough for that state to deserve to host? How about the 7 D1 programs in North Carolina (there was no ban on NC sites in this round by the way).

Ohio, Illinois and Michigan have 4 D1 programs each. Missouri has 1.  

Love the Pittsburgh pick; annoyed with 3 midwestern picks. The majority of Div I programs are not in the midwest yet they continue to show their inherent bias. Someone needs to show these people a map with pins in it for every program. Should of went with an eastern or mid-atlantic city instead of St. Louis or Detroit. March in Virginia or North Carolina would be fine by me. Instead we get to freeze in Minnesota or get shot at in Detroit. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Although the Susquehanna roughly divides Pa's population in half, the more normal division would be the Allegheny Mountains. Streams  flowing west from there flow eventually into the Ohio, Mississippi, and the Gulf of Mexico. Of course streams near Duluth, Minn flow into the Superior, 3 downstream great lakes, St Lawrence River, then SL Gulf. I would say the midwest includes no cities in States that have some streams that flow into "the Atlantic" between ~~the Florida Keys And New Brunswick. (Part of WVa is drained by the Potomac.)=17 states. (it is possible some of Tennessee drains into the Atlantic)

No Place in Virginia is Adequate is it? But Washington, DC has what should be an excellent spot. The last thing DC needs is the Metro extending to Dulles airport no later than 2020.

Will Union Station be useful again by the Date needed, or will it still be a shadow of itself?

For all the people that are complaining about the host cities, particularly "the Midwest" and I will only include Ohio Michigan and western PA. Remember this, Cleveland has not hosted since 1998, Detroit 15 years between hosting and Pittsburgh has never hosted in i'll say the modern era of division 1 wrestling. So I don't see where these areas have a Ncaa bias. The Ncaa will go where the best bids (money) is. St Louis has hosted numerous times in the 15 years, probably they bid the most and could make the most money for the Ncaa.