Sign in to follow this  
Michigan wrestling

NCAA final 2019-2022

Buffalo is not east coast, it is also midwest. rust belt/great lakes = midwest. bos-was I-95 corridor = east coast. PA and NY are split. Everything south of Northern VA is The South, except for Appalachia which overlaps both the south and midwest. I have no idea where the midwest ends and the great plains start. 

the midlantic is the chesapeake and delaware bays but sometimes NY and sometimes NC but really no one cares about the midatlantic as a geo-cultural location. 

I will defer to others on how the southeast, southwest and deep south are divided. 

I enjoy a good geographic debate, so I'll add that Pittsburgh is a Mid-Atlantic or Northeastern city. It's a unique place in a unique location. Definitely not Midwest or East Coast. Beautiful city, especially the view from Mt. Washington.

Pittsburghers think themselves a Northeast city (not an east coast city or a Midwest city). But the population has Midwest characteristics- more patient and less hurried than a New Yorker but still more intense than midwesterners and southerners. In the 17th century we considered ourselves the western frontier (we were the gateway to the west before it moved to Saint Louis), so maybe we were midwestern at one time too. But for present day yinzers, the mid-west starts at the Ohio border.

Now someone from New York City might call us a midwestern "town" - but I think they would say the same about Hoboken. For them everything West of NYC is in a different time zone (yes, we are eastern time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

Pittsburghers think themselves a Northeast city (not an east coast city or a Midwest city). But the population has Midwest characteristics- more patient and less hurried than a New Yorker but still more intense than midwesterners and southerners. In the 17th century we considered ourselves the western frontier (we were the gateway to the west before it moved to Saint Louis), so maybe we were midwestern at one time too. But for present day yinzers, the mid-west starts at the Ohio border.

Now someone from New York City might call us a midwestern "town" - but I think they would say the same about Hoboken. For them everything West of NYC is in a different time zone (yes, we are eastern time).

Pittsburgh is the bridge or gateway connecting the East Coast to the Midwest. Also close to the Mason Dixon line, separating the North from the South. Which makes it truly unique and impossible to label.

Pittsburgh is the bridge or gateway connecting the East Coast to the Midwest. Also close to the Mason Dixon line, separating the North from the South. Which makes it truly unique and impossible to label.

True - we are tweeners. My favorite label for Pittsburgh is "the Paris of the Appalachians". Not sure who our competition would be for this high accolade. Maybe Flyblow WV.

The NCAA can only pick from the places that submit bids. Was there a Virginia or North Carolina bid? I doubt it.

I also doubt that they tried to promote the event to cities located in that area in an attempt to solicit a bid. 

Also, Philadelphia and New York did have bids in but God forbid we skip St. Louis for a cycle. 

What are the options here? East Coast, Midwest, and West Coast?

Is Charlotte an East Coast City?

What about Atlanta?

Distance from the actual Coast:

Charlotte, NC - 150 miles.

Burlington, VT - 150 miles.

Pittsburgh, PA - 200 miles.

Atlanta, GA - 225 miles.

Blacksburg, VA - 225 miles.

Asheville, NC - 250 miles.

Pittsburgh is East Coast, Northeast, Great Lakes.

Good discussion though completely useless.

Well put. 

Can someone explain the process of submitting a bid, please? Does a university work with a specific city to make it happen or the other way around?

I know I harp on Chicago for personal and logistical reasons (By el train, I can be at United Center from my house in 30 minutes), but it seems to me that if the Frozen Four can take place here just a few weeks ago, there's no real reason that NCAA wrestling cannot make it work in Chicago. FF seems to have done quite well here: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/ncaa-mens-hockey-players-react-frozen-four-experience-united-center. Ad to that Illinois is the second largest wrestling state in the country and it makes sense.

Can someone explain the process of submitting a bid, please? Does a university work with a specific city to make it happen or the other way around?

I know I harp on Chicago for personal and logistical reasons (By el train, I can be at United Center from my house in 30 minutes), but it seems to me that if the Frozen Four can take place here just a few weeks ago, there's no real reason that NCAA wrestling cannot make it work in Chicago. FF seems to have done quite well here: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/ncaa-mens-hockey-players-react-frozen-four-experience-united-center. Ad to that Illinois is the second largest wrestling state in the country and it makes sense.

All bids come from a NCAA member school or conference. For large events (like wrestling, basketball, etc.) they partner with other entities as a part of the bid. The NCAA does not accept bids from anyone that is not a member of the NCAA.

Look through the list of the awarded bids and you'll see a column that is for 'Host' which will list the school or conference which submitted the bid and any partner which is assisting in hosting the event.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2017-04-18/2019-2022-future-di-ncaa-championship-sites

The United Center (or any other facility) can not submit a bid without a school or a conference. If you want it in Chicago, you'll need Illinois, Northwestern, NIU, or any other NCAA school or conference to back the bid. It doesn't even have to be local or a school that sponsors the sport. (Albany was hosted by Rider, MAAC, and Siena).

As for who initiates the process, it goes both ways. Some schools reach out to facilities and local commissions to get a bid put together and some facilities and local commissions reach out to schools to get them to partner for a bid.

Edited by Pinnum

for our practical purposes, geo-coordinates are all that really matters, specifically proximity by car. so Pittsburgh is for for sure "eastern", and closer to the "east coast" cities than it is to Chicago and other midwestern cities. 

but, just for fun, and to be difficult, I was speaking more of the culturally and geologically. Pittsburgh is not an east coast city. it's a industrial river city in the Mississippi drainage basin. I would put them firmly in the midwestern camp, if the other option is east coast. I think the Lehigh and Wyoming Valleys are the real "inbetween" area. 

but if the Pittsburghense don't see themselves as culturally midwestern, thats their call. 

southern cities on the coastal plains are "coastal" cities. they share a cultural history as agrarian societies. the transition to hill country and Appalachia happens in the Piedmont, on the other side of the fall line of the major rivers. IMO. 

True - we are tweeners. My favorite label for Pittsburgh is "the Paris of the Appalachians". Not sure who our competition would be for this high accolade. Maybe Flyblow WV.

Ha! I read that exact same thing.

4 primary and 9 secondary divisions of the USA according to the census bureau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_of_the_United_States#Census_Bureau-designated_regions_and_divisions  ---- Not sure including MD+ Del, even Va + WVa in the south makes a lot of sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

The Piedmont, in the Eastern USA is only a meaningful term approximately south of the Potomac River. . 

As a HS Geography teacher, this is a great example of perceptual regions.  New England, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes, Southeast, Midwestern, etc., are all perceptual regions, versus formal or functional.  My classes place New York, Virginia, and Pennsylvania in the Mid-Atlantic versus the New England, the Southeast, or the Midwest, respectively.  Of course, by definition your perceptions may differ.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Born and raised just out side of the Burgh. I can not think of anyone there ever refer themselves as mid western's. We are Western Pa or Great Lake Region.

And people from my part of the state do not even consider Phili as part of Pa. It is just all NYC to us.

Born and raised just out side of the Burgh. I can not think of anyone there ever refer themselves as mid western's. We are Western Pa or Great Lake Region.

And people from my part of the state do not even consider Phili as part of Pa. It is just all NYC to us.

Interesting...Born and raised as well...I've never heard anyone from Pittsburgh mention the words "Great Lake Region". Nor have I ever considered Philly not a part of PA or clumped together with NYC.

Interesting...Born and raised as well...I've never heard anyone from Pittsburgh mention the words "Great Lake Region". Nor have I ever considered Philly not a part of PA or clumped together with NYC.

Eastern PA is like another planet compared to Western PA.

Metrosexuals versus rednecks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Eastern PA is like another planet compared to Western PA.

Metrosexuals versus rednecks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm from Pittsburgh and I ain't got no red in my neck. I've actually lived in both areas. Pittsburgh for 23 years, Philly for 15. Philly is more cosmopolitan for sure but the middle class people in the suburbs of Philly are no different than middle class people in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

I lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years and enjoyed my time there; got engaged up on Mt. Washington. It has most of the attributes of a big city yet has a small town feel to it. More laid back then Philly for sure. Look forward to going back.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

OK. So it is obvious the perfect place for Nationals is just north of the Mason-Dixon Line, Just west of the Allegheny Mountains. That of course would be in one of the most famous and important communities in the world (where decisions were made that led to the first world war. Confluence Pa of course. I guess it would be at the Gymn at Turkeyfoot Valley Elementary-Junior-Senior-High School with almost 350 Students (not in the graduating class, all 13 classes-smallest School District in Pa. OK maybe Meyersdale HS 15 miles East and 3 times the size, with a wrestling team, works better.

Yes Confluence is where G Washington decided to proceed via land instead of river on his way to Fort Duquesne which led to actions resulting in the Seven Years War (aka French+Indian War) truly a world war.