Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

4 time Champs if Freshmen were eligible back then?

Two guys I will add with no reservation to the 4 Time NCAA List IF Freshmen were eligible to compete years ago(when I was in College) are Dan Hodge and Yojo Uetake. I think both would have been 4 time Champions. Firmly believe Uetake would have been a 4 time Undefeated Champion. Hodge probably would have as well.

Who else may be included in this discussion?

Two guys I will add with no reservation to the 4 Time NCAA List IF Freshmen were eligible to compete years ago(when I was in College) are Dan Hodge and Yojo Uetake. I think both would have been 4 time Champions. Firmly believe Uetake would have been a 4 time Undefeated Champion. Hodge probably would have as well.

Who else may be included in this discussion?

Bill Koll was very dominant his 3 years.  I think he would have been a 4 xer.  Of course he was a little older having come back from WWII.

Bill Koll was very dominant his 3 years.  I think he would have been a 4 xer.  Of course he was a little older having come back from WWII.

Freshman were eligible when Bill Koll wrestled. I don't know what happened the other year.

As I've said before, everyone who I've ever talked to who Saw Uetake says he was the best they've seen in this country, in his Frosh year Mickey Martin was winning his third title at 130.

I didn't know this before Dick Wilson of Toledo was a 3 time runnerup at 115. The last two to Grey Simon. The first to Andy Fitch of Yale. I am guessing GS only a very slight favorite over Fitch, And if Simon were 2nd or 3rd seed, he would have had a real challenge.

Never saw these guys except Tape (And Simons circa 1971 in a sort of pro event) Just pointing out potential spoilers

Freshman were eligible when Bill Koll wrestled. I don't know what happened the other year.

As I've said before, everyone who I've ever talked to who Saw Uetake says he was the best they've seen in this country, in his Frosh year Mickey Martin was winning his third title at 130.

That still doesn't rule out Uetake possibly being better than Martin anyway, of course, despite Martin's titles. But how to know, since Freshmen weren't allowed for so long?

I didn't know this before Dick Wilson of Toledo was a 3 time runnerup at 115. The last two to Grey Simon. The first to Andy Fitch of Yale. I am guessing GS only a very slight favorite over Fitch, And if Simon were 2nd or 3rd seed, he would have had a real challenge.

Never saw these guys except Tape (And Simons circa 1971 in a sort of pro event) Just pointing out potential spoilers

Great post, except for the fact that Mickey Martin won 2 NCAA championships, not 3.

Great post, except for the fact that Mickey Martin won 2 NCAA championships, not 3.

You are right, I see Koll Must have entered Iowa State Teachers (UNI) in the fall of 1941, and he left after Pearl Harbor.  So, who knows. The 1942 champs were Merl, Burl Jennings of Mi St,, Bill Maxwell Mi St,  David Arndt Oki State at 21,28,36,45. Can't say I know much about them.

You are right, I see Koll Must have entered Iowa State Teachers (UNI) in the fall of 1941, and he left after Pearl Harbor.  So, who knows. The 1942 champs were Merl, Burl Jennings of Mi St,, Bill Maxwell Mi St,  David Arndt Oki State at 21,28,36,45. Can't say I know much about them.

Buddy Arndt was a 3 time undefeated champ.  1941, 1942, and 1946.  OW in '46 after coming back from a  tour in WW2 flying P-38 fighters.  Only person to win titles on both sides of the war.

to add article...

Buddy Arndt, Oklahoma State – Hardly anyone seems to know it, but Buddy Arndt reportedly never lost a match in high school or college! After winning two state titles at Tulsa Central he won two NCAA titles at Oklahoma A&M, then left for World War II. He flew over 100 combat missions in the war — then returned to win his third NCAA title in 1946. He is the only wrestler to win NCAA titles on both sides of World War II, before and after. He never lost a scholastic match. Bill Koll told me personally he thought Buddy Arndt might have been the best wrestler he ever saw.

win-magazine.com/2010/11/my-all-time-greatest-college-wrestlers

Edited by smcfee

Buddy Arndt was a 3 time undefeated champ.  1941, 1942, and 1946.  OW in '46 after coming back from a  tour in WW2 flying P-38 fighters.  Only person to win titles on both sides of the war.

to add article...

Buddy Arndt, Oklahoma State – Hardly anyone seems to know it, but Buddy Arndt reportedly never lost a match in high school or college! After winning two state titles at Tulsa Central he won two NCAA titles at Oklahoma A&M, then left for World War II. He flew over 100 combat missions in the war — then returned to win his third NCAA title in 1946. He is the only wrestler to win NCAA titles on both sides of World War II, before and after. He never lost a scholastic match. Bill Koll told me personally he thought Buddy Arndt might have been the best wrestler he ever saw.

win-magazine.com/2010/11/my-all-time-greatest-college-wrestlers

Interesting that Arndt Won in 41 and 42, then went to the war. Dick Dibatista, Penn, also won 41 and 42, but he stayed for 43 to graduate(in Dec 41 the military encouraged juniors and seniors to stay in and graduate-you couldn't train everyone at once) He did win EIWA which held the tourney 43,44, 45.

Gerry Leeman was NCAA OW 1946 

Do you guys remember those computer simulated boxing matches from the 70s or 80s (can't remember exactly when). A bunch of eggheads crunched numbers regarding the boxing styles of different great fighters from different eras, including stats like height/weight, etc, and simulated a tournament. I think they said Ali or Lewis "won". Anyway, would be cool if there was something like that to simulate matches between guys like Arndt and Gable, etc.

Do you guys remember those computer simulated boxing matches from the 70s or 80s (can't remember exactly when). A bunch of eggheads crunched numbers regarding the boxing styles of different great fighters from different eras, including stats like height/weight, etc, and simulated a tournament. I think they said Ali or Lewis "won". Anyway, would be cool if there was something like that to simulate matches between guys like Arndt and Gable, etc.

I just was reading a Quora digest comparing Ghengis Kahn to Alexander the Great. (Kahn had 2.5 times as many men and 1400 years of technology advances. - only 1 of 7 preferred Alexander)

He was also going against others who were veterans of the War so the field was pretty even.

On the Computer boxing matches. Rocky Marciano beat Ali in the US release. Ali beat Marciano in the European release.

I knew both fighters and would go with Marciano even though I knew Cassius much better at the time. Cassius was fast and excellent but something in Marciano wouldn't let me go with anyone else.

He was also going against others who were veterans of the War so the field was pretty even.

On the Computer boxing matches. Rocky Marciano beat Ali in the US release. Ali beat Marciano in the European release.

I knew both fighters and would go with Marciano even though I knew Cassius much better at the time. Cassius was fast and excellent but something in Marciano wouldn't let me go with anyone else.

Hadn't Maciano just died in a small plane crash. Kind of tainted the outcome.

I just was reading a Quora digest comparing Ghengis Kahn to Alexander the Great. (Kahn had 2.5 times as many men and 1400 years of technology advances. - only 1 of 7 preferred Alexander)

Genghis #1. He'd have eaten Alexander's liver with a little sour mare milk.

Freshman were not eligible when Bill was a freshman. Of that I am quite sure, and he beat the defending champ in a scrimmage before heading off to war. He would no doubt have been a 4xer.