Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Indiana Coaching Staff

Indiana has a job posting up for an Associate Head Coach. The current Associate Head Coach is Nick Simmons. However, the job posting is only live from today until next Friday. Anybody know what's going on there?

They should be posting about the staff. Get rid of Goldman already (had his 25 year run). Hire the Princeton staff (Ayres/Debuque- Indiana 2x NCAA Champ) or somebody else with some passion and watch them take off. Goldman is not going to take a B1G Program to the next level. Watching their home duals over last couple seasons is like watching a middle school match (atmosphere) and embarrassing to Indiana Wrestling. 

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

Program is underperforming. Lonnie Morris from Johnson & Whales is a rock star. Guy would turn that program around.

No offense, but if no one knows who the guy is I don't think he's probably the best candidate to turn around a Big 10 program.

No offense, but if no one knows who the guy is I don't think he's probably the best candidate to turn around a Big 10 program.

Your way of thinking is typical and I can't fault you. I met this guy a few times. He is a relentless recruiter, his wrestlers respect him and enjoy wrestling for him, and he has a track record of success. Unfortunately guys like Lonnie Morris are unlikely to be considered for B1G programs but for sure, he would do a better job than some of the current coaches in that league.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a great coach, but I think the jump from the lower divisions to a top 25 D1 team in the Big10 is a large one. Perhaps another step or two between his current job and something like the Indiana gig would make more sense. Generally a coach being considered for a major conference job like that is either super well known from competition (he's not) or a coach who has previous experience developing D1 wrestlers somewhere else (he doesn't). I think if you're kind of a "no name" coach you need more on your CV that some solid finishes at the D3 level. Again, not insulting this man's coaching ability. The track record just isn't there yet for a job of this magnitude (in my opinion).

Clearly though, Indiana needs to do something. They are like Iowa St. was last month. Then the Cyclones hire Dresser, and he brings in 3 Stud assistant coaches, and as of right now the future looks very bright for Iowa St. Not sure why the Hoosiers have been performing they way they have. It could be that if they got some fresh blood in there things could/should change for the better.

Clearly though, Indiana needs to do something. They are like Iowa St. was last month. Then the Cyclones hire Dresser, and he brings in 3 Stud assistant coaches, and as of right now the future looks very bright for Iowa St. Not sure why the Hoosiers have been performing they way they have. It could be that if they got some fresh blood in there things could/should change for the better.

IU hasn't commited the money to the wrestling program yet to go after a coach at the level of Dresser let alone a few big time assistants too. We will see on the next head coaching change if the AD is willing to make any big changes. But at that point I think the AD maybe a little surprised between his current current wrestling payroll and the going rate the top half of Big10 schools are giving their wrestling staff.

Edited by MadMardigain

Your way of thinking is typical and I can't fault you. I met this guy a few times. He is a relentless recruiter, his wrestlers respect him and enjoy wrestling for him, and he has a track record of success. Unfortunately guys like Lonnie Morris are unlikely to be considered for B1G programs but for sure, he would do a better job than some of the current coaches in that league.

Do his kids "have fun"?

Indiana is a terrific university with some terrible sports programs.  Football showed signs of life but the coach got booted.  Basketball has been wandering in the desert since Bob Knight got fired (he deserved it but that's moot).  And the athletic department just doesn't care about wrestling.  It's similar to MSU in that regard.

You mean the Iowa State of the past few seasons or before Gable hit Iowa?

Guess I don't understand how Indiana is anything like Iowa State, be it whenever...

Edited by stp

Indiana is a terrific university with some terrible sports programs.  Football showed signs of life but the coach got booted.  Basketball has been wandering in the desert since Bob Knight got fired (he deserved it but that's moot).  And the athletic department just doesn't care about wrestling.  It's similar to MSU in that regard.

You are half correct---  Indiana is a great school, but to say "terrible sports programs" isnt that accurate.  Football has for sure been an issue, as has wrestling.  IU is still winning national championships and B!G titles in a number of sports, including round ball.

That being said- Flo is reporting Coach Goldman is staying but Simmons is gone.  Until the house is completely cleaned, aint nothing going to change. 

Sounds like Simmons is getting out of coaching.  I think it's the right move because I think it was unlikely that many programs would take a risk on him for a HC job after the Oregon State situation.  That's the type of thing a corporate job can overlook (since no charges were filed), but would continue to haunt him as an NCAA coach (because of the bad publicity every time his name comes up for a job).  

Wandering in the desert is a little harsh, no?  Crean inherited a dumpster fire and turned it around.  He won the conference a couple of times and made a few Sweet 16's, which is significantly more than can be said for most of IU's sports.  

Which coach is going to hit the recruiting trail, Pascoe?

Dubuque was the one that made the western swings, then Simmons. And Simmons had the Michigan connections, Marciki (had an issue with a surgery and wasn't able to wrestle again), Weaver and Skatzka.

IU needs some changes, this probably wasn't the one.

As the Athletic Department is now paying former football and basketball coaches not to coach (both were fired), spending money on wrestling likely isn't on the radar.

Have they even broke ground for the new wrestling room?