Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Video of Gregor Gillespie's UFC debut just now

Only 7 deaths in 25 years of  fighting events around the world?       It can't be that few.    Do you have a link to support this thing is actually that safe?   

.....25 or twenty five- i don't see any reference to a period of years in my post- it appears as though you agree with me.....

.....25 or twenty five- i don't see any reference to a period of years in my post- it appears as though you agree with me.....

There's much missing from your post, that's why I asked for a link to where you're getting your information from.  I can only find 7 deaths in 25 years of professional MMA.   That's not to say the number is not much higher, that's just all I could find.  I can't believe it is that safe.    Do you  a link for your information?  

Concussion, CTE and long-term injuries are one thing; I get more skeeved out by the gross personalities in MMA, starting with Dana White.  I know much of it is simply "entertainment" but it also comes out in other ways, like domestic violence which occurs among MMA fighters at a rate over 3.5x of the NFL (and those are just the reported incidents), plus all the misogynistic and rapey stuff that seems to hit the headlines like a drumbeat. I know there are a lot of bad apples in every professional sport but MMA really sticks out in my mind as a place where a lot of awful things are not only encouraged, but glamorized.

I suppose if you don’t engage in the sport, it’s not dangerous. Could be a measure of fascination for some sports is the element of danger that leaves us normal people watching from our “safe spaces” longing to compete; or maybe not… On December 9, 1979, during half-time at a New York Jets game, a 20-year-old got accidentally hit in the noggin by a 40-pound remote controlled plane shaped like a lawnmower. He died four days later and never got the chance to experience the dignity of risk.

Can Gillespie beat Pico??

Gillespie and Pico are in different organizations, so they may never meet. Pico is supposed to be good, but he hasn't fought, Gillespie is 10-0 and he's beat some pretty good guys. Northern Colorado AA Justin Gaethje is a free agent, he's held the WSOF belt for several years and is undefeated, and destroys everyone. . It would be nice if the UFC would pick him up.

Gillespie and Pico are in different organizations, so they may never meet. Pico is supposed to be good, but he hasn't fought, Gillespie is 10-0 and he's beat some pretty good guys. Northern Colorado AA Justin Gaethje is a free agent, he's held the WSOF belt for several years and is undefeated, and destroys everyone. . It would be nice if the UFC would pick him up.

Gaethje is so much fun to watch. How has the UFC not picked him up?

While I'm high on Gaethje, I think he'll be exposed a little in the UFC. He gets by on aggression, power, and a stout chin. He's fun as hell to watch but leaves himself open. A lot. I'd love to see him against Paul Felder or Edson Barboza. 

Yet your opinion is valid?  If you want people to respect yours, then try respecting others.

..... a valid opinion? not sure there is such a thing... valid to me, since it is mine... to others, don't know, and probably don't care... after all it is just an opinion......about something that we can't really control/change...... "ironmonkey"/his friends/his family can do as they please, his comments really didn't relate to what i was saying...... my post was about the long term danger of MMA competition... not sure how/why you are teaching a lesson about respect.....    respectfully submitted- cc..... :]

MMA is MMA...whatever...but why in the world is this on a college wrestling message board? That video and the topic has zero to do with college wrestling, other than one of the fighters was once really good at it.

Because it is fun to see where the guys in our sport go? We were fans of them in wrestling, so we are still fans of theirs?

MMA is MMA...whatever...but why in the world is this on a college wrestling message board?  That video and the topic has zero to do with college wrestling, other than one of the fighters was once really good at it.   

It has everything to do with college wrestling given that it's how athletes in the sport "go pro." 

Isn't Jordan Burroughs a professional athlete?

Technically yes, but our freestyle and greco guys don't get any money unless they win a World or Olympic medal, no?  Maybe a couple have endorsement deals, but not many.  It's nearly impossible to count on wrestling to earn a living as a competitor.   

They get a bit of prize money, marginal endorsements, camp and appearance fees, a stipend for being a world team member.  Not much money in it. Much like MMA.

Unless you are champion or close to it, you aren't going to make a lot of money in MMA or wrestling.

Edited by Plasmodium

It has everything to do with college wrestling given that it's how athletes in the sport "go pro." 

Still, laying on one's back and taking elbows to the face has very little to do with college wrestling.  Themat.com does provide a forum for MMA and fighting here.  If traffic is a little slow y'all should work on building it by keeping the MMA discussion there.  In turn, those of us who are not MMA fans will promise to not discuss topics such as B1G vs Big 12 or coaching changes there.  

Edited by matts1w

Can Gillespie beat Pico??

I don't fully know how Pico is in a fight yet, and GG is 10-0, however, Pico is a way better wrestler than GG.  I know some people might get offended at that, but Pico has so many dominant wins over so many NCAA champs and even Hodge Trophy winners.  I am very excited to see Pico's boxing skills.  I know he's been training with Pacquio's trainer lately.  

Technically yes, but our freestyle and greco guys don't get any money unless they win a World or Olympic medal, no? Maybe a couple have endorsement deals, but not many. It's nearly impossible to count on wrestling to earn a living as a competitor.

This is less true now than it's ever been. In the latest USA Wrestling top ten freestyle rankings, only Kevin LeValley and Adam Hall are full time college assistants. More guys are volunteer assistants, but that's a different level of responsibility. Many have no coaching responsibilities at all and are supported by their clubs and RTCs.

Still, laying on one's back and taking elbows to the face has very little to do with college wrestling.  Themat.com does provide a forum for MMA and fighting here.  If traffic is a little slow y'all should work on building it by keeping the MMA discussion there.  In turn, those of us who are not MMA fans will promise to not discuss topics such as B1G vs Big 12 or coaching changes there.  

Wouldn't want to drum up any additional interest in college wrestling via a little off-topic posting during the off-season, now would we? 

..... a valid opinion? not sure there is such a thing... valid to me, since it is mine... to others, don't know, and probably don't care... after all it is just an opinion......about something that we can't really control/change...... "ironmonkey"/his friends/his family can do as they please, his comments really didn't relate to what i was saying...... my post was about the long term danger of MMA competition... not sure how/why you are teaching a lesson about respect.....    respectfully submitted- cc..... :]

No need to worry.  I wasn't offended at all.  Nor were my family and friends. 

It is true that my comments didn't directly relate to what you were saying. However, considering where you are posting them, there is some relation worth noting.  I am sure you realize that though.   Had you posted your disdain for MMA on a forum about comic books, my response would not exist.

I agree there is no valid opinion. There is just opinion.  Having worked rehabbing dogs who have been abused in dog fighting, I do find the comparison to MMA pretty off the wall though.