Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Wrestlers who did significantly better in College than in High School

Who are wrestlers that did significantly better in college than in high school.

Ed Ruth comes to mind for me. Ruth never won a PA state title but won a National Prep title after transferring to Blair. Then wins 3 NCAA titles with a 3rd place finish. Pretty significant upgrade if you ask me!

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Tervel Dlagnev was a 2X state placer in Texas (3rd and 4th).  That's likely not even a state qualifier in a place like PA.  Then he wins a few D2 titles and hammers the D1 champ (Fox) his senior year of college.  

Interestingly he was also better internationally than he was in college.  Quite a career trajectory.

Phil Davis, don't think he placed higher then 4th/5th in high school, was a 4x AA and National Champ.

He finished 4th the year he lost to Joel Edwards. I thought he was the better wrestled but Edwards leg rode him to death. Then on the back side he lost to Ryan Gruver from Spring Grove who kinda had his number in h.s. Davis wasn't a great guy on the mat in high school and he got way better at Penn State. 

The guy from PA that totally fits this category is Keith Gavin. 

Edited by TBar1977

He finished 4th the year he lost to Joel Edwards. I thought he was the better wrestled but Edwards leg rode him to death. Then on the back side he lost to Ryan Gruver from Spring Grove who kinda had his number in h.s. Davis wasn't a great guy on the mat in high school and he got way better at Penn State. 

The guy from PA that totally fits this category is Keith Gavin. 

Gavin didn't even win his district his senior year. He lost to Joe Rovelli in the district and regional finals then placed 3rd at states. I think he placed at states his junior year as well. Rovelli took 2nd that year. Then he won states the next season (majored AJ Graves from Jeanette in the finals) and went off to Hofstra. Think his beat NCAA finish was a bloodround loss one year. He's now an assistant at Wyoming Seminary. Watched these guys a lot growing up. 

Noel Loban.  I don't think he made it to the NY State Tournament.  NCAA Champ, Olympic Medalist.

Was he actually born in the UK or did he do some finagling so he could participate in the Olympics for them? If he was, any idea when he moved to the states?

Was he actually born in the UK or did he do some finagling so he could participate in the Olympics for them? If he was, any idea when he moved to the states?

He went to Copiague High School on Long Island.  Same High School as NCAA champ, Dean Morrison.  Maybe a parent was from the UK?

Edited by RetiredPoster