Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

Seeding at Worlds

There is 1 MAJOR FLAW in this system. To somehow completely disregard the results of an athlete because they were in a different weight class is a HUGE mistake.

I can understand the sentiment but there needs to be at least some PARTIAL carryover of points from a different weight class.

Option #1 - A wrestler loses 10% maybe 20% of their point values for competing in a different weight class. Maybe 10% less for every weight class you jump or drop.

Ex: Helen would get 80% of her 53 kg value at the Olympics since she is jumping 2 classes to get to 58 kg or 90% of her 55 kg points.

This is made even more relevant by the fact that they are in the process of revamping the weight class categories.

There is 1 MAJOR FLAW in this system. To somehow completely disregard the results of an athlete because they were in a different weight class is a HUGE mistake.

I can understand the sentiment but there needs to be at least some PARTIAL carryover of points from a different weight class.

Option #1 - A wrestler loses 10% maybe 20% of their point values for competing in a different weight class. Maybe 10% less for every weight class you jump or drop.

Ex: Helen would get 80% of her 53 kg value at the Olympics since she is jumping 2 classes to get to 58 kg or 90% of her 55 kg points.

This is made even more relevant by the fact that they are in the process of revamping the weight class categories.

Wow, good catch. I wonder if the committee will think that by switching weight classes you are in essence hitting the reset button.

I think losing the separation points when you move weight classes is fine. They are also going to 2 day tournaments and same day weigh ins, so there's less incentive for the massive cuts only for worlds/olympics.

the reset method gives the wrestlers something else to think about when the change weights. it's not ideal but no system is going to be perfect. I'm fine with keeping it very simple at first.