Sign in to follow this  
usskc

Demas spladle vid

I just don't get why the ref decided to call the fall at the point he did. Nothing had really changed for 20 seconds or so....

Well, after the Caldwell-Metcalf Splaydle ... The Zebra's really want to make sure it's a valid, double, double triple checked pin!! Which does take some time. ;)

Outstanding Spladle...

But, truth be told... he's not even close to being pinned...

Spladle is a very bizarre hold.

most often, the shoulders and shoulder blades are positioned on the offensive wrestler, and the blades are way off the matt. The portion everyone sees (pinned) is the lower back... Yes.. and it's VERY flat.

I can't don't know how to post a picture here.. but stop it at 1:22 you can clearly see right through to the other side, and his blades (the lowest part of the pinning area) is 6" up from the point on the mat (actually right on the offensive wrestler).... he never moves from that position..

Great Spladle though.

I thought Demas was pinned. I don't understand why Demas was not adjusting properly at all. It is frustrating to watch guys hit spladles improperly. Most guys continue to pull their opponent tighter when they should loosen up, scoot hips away to let the opponents neck and head fall lower on hip and let shoulders fall flat.

Demas was flat on his back while the other guy was resting on his lower back, should have been D-fall.

There's no question Demas was defensively pinned, and it's pretty obvious Carpenter's shoulders, or blades, weren't on the mat. Bad pin call in every respect.

I agree it wasnt a pin. I was at this meet and couldnt see it from my angle but watching it seemed his blades were too high for a fall. This comes down to just how far up the back is considered a pin? Is it possible the very bottom part of his shoulder blades were flat? I guess as NO ONE had the view the ref did. It had to be close though cuz that ref did not budge the entire tiime and was fixated at one focus point. Sure didnt appear to be a pin from the vid.

To the guys claiming Demas was pinned, no way. The assistant ref was on one knee behind Demas during that entire spladle watching Demas' back. There were a couple times when he was trying to scoot and wiggle for better position where he came close but those times were for a fraction of a second and he was never FLAT.

How often do we see that spladle at this level of wrestling ?

Oh, and after the stick call, I noticed coaches and refs talking (and pointing) to , I think the different parts of our shoulder blades. I looked at the pinning rules. However, while watching that discussion at matside , I got to wondering :

Do some of us have extra elongated shoulder blades ? And, along that same thought----do others have 'shorter blades' ? Folks , I'm just thinking here ...now. Carpenter's head/neck were raised quite a bit. Not sure how much that had to do with it ? The ref., the 'sticker,' and the 'stuck' seamed to be....not quite sure what was going on. Also..... did I hear a running dialog (prior to the call) between all three of those participants ?

Yesterday was a fine day for those in our sport. A good day to have my sacred sports packages. Two good Big-10 duals. Some interesting wrestling. Life is good.

P12AZ- has Oregan ST. and ASU just starting. Early on....this next wk., the two Indiana schools go at it.

And that my friends ---is your daily tip from the top.

Bad call for sure. In fact he made no real adjustments at all, and should have been a stalemate after backs awarded. I didn't see a defensive fall either although it was very close. The second ref seemed to be looking for it now and then. We have all seen cradles much closer to a fall than this not get called.

What a helpless position.

I thought Demas was pinned. I don't understand why Demas was not adjusting properly at all. It is frustrating to watch guys hit spladles improperly. Most guys continue to pull their opponent tighter when they should loosen up, scoot hips away to let the opponents neck and head fall lower on hip and let shoulders fall flat.

Demas was flat on his back while the other guy was resting on his lower back, should have been D-fall.

Like the crossface cradle. Often, we just can't get our opponent flat. It is all too tight. Then....when we just loosen up a little (move our grip down a little), the blades have the 'room' to slide (or drop) flat......for the stick. Hook his free leg. Now it's all the 'right sort of tight'.

That's what it was plain and simple. Neither wrestler improved or changed position. He was not pinned and after a lengthy amount of time was no closer to pinning him. You think the answer is to slam a hand down on the mat? Or just let him continue to rack up rt without doing anything with the position? As was already pointed out, he didn't correctly use the move. Make the correct call and let them continue to wrestle.

That's what it was plain and simple. Neither wrestler improved or changed position. He was not pinned and after a lengthy amount of time was no closer to pinning him. You think the answer is to slam a hand down on the mat? Or just let him continue to rack up rt without doing anything with the position? As was already pointed out, he didn't correctly use the move. Make the correct call and let them continue to wrestle.

A good question, I thought about as time was running, and the position seemed "frozen". However, I thought Demas did altered his position a little toward the end where he was no longer had his own back flat to the mat. I think it's legitimate to question how long that should have remained as frozen as it was.

After I watched that video and posted on it, I watched many of the similar videos (I was stuck in YouTube) and more times than not the victim of the spladle is not actually pinned. They seem to call it whether his blades are on the mat or not.

Stalemate - "A position other than a pinning situation in which neither wrestler can improve his position"

You can't award back points until a F or the defending guy is able to defend right? So theoretically there were no backs

Spladle is a funky move...

if it's a move to get control (TD or reversal) you really have to have NF criteria before you can call it a TD or reversal.... then begin the NF count.

The tigher is it.. the harder it is to pin the guy...

with the head tucked to the chin... the shoulder blades tend to be flat with the back (unlike some situations where they protrude out pst the back)

Stalemate.... LOL... no.... you can NEVER call a stalemate while a wrestler is in Criteria... ever... He just gets to sit there for the rest of the period.

But still... A GREAT Spladle. !!

The key to get the correct portion of the shoulder blades on the mat to earn the fall, as someone eluded to earlier in this thread,is the position of the head on the hip of the wrestler executing the spladle. Most of the time when don incorrectly, the navel area of the wrestler executing the spladle is over the back, like Demas' was as he started to roll through across his back. To put the opponents head in the correct location, the wrestler executing the spladle should have his hip BETWEEN the wrestlers head and shoulder. When the spladle is done in this manner, ONLY the head of the wrestler being spladled is OFF the mat, the rest of his shoulders/back is flat as a pancake.

What Demas should have done was rotate up on his left shoulder/hip to avoid the defensive pin, and loosen up on the legs and allow Carpenter to slide down a little bit so only his head was up on the hip of Demas. I agree with some of the posters, at first viewing of this match on the BG10 network, I thought it could have/should have been called as a defensive pin.

Check out this kid who uses it in just about an opportunity it presents itself, his hip is between the head/shoulder.....

Just my $0.02