Sign in to follow this  
KSchlosser

25 Years of Hate

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-04-14/sports/9202030488_1_athletic-director-dick-rosenthal-mcgrew-wrestling

There are very few things and people I hate,  but for the last 25 years I have hated Notre Dame, Dick Rosenthal, and Lou Holtz, 

To strong-arm a widow, dishonor a former athlete and alum, and to piss on a father's legacy for his son disgusts me.  If O'Connor wanted the endowment he created to honor his son to be used to specifically fund women's sports or to allow the AD to reallocate additional university funding for the football program by paying for existing or additional female scholarships with misappropriated funds, he would have done at the time it was created.

To this day, I still seriously doubt their claims of financial distress at the time; due the highest paid broadcast contract in history (ND only, No conference to share with, NBC), a FB sell out streak of almost 20 plus years, and now over 250 games; as well as top three in licensing revenue from 1988-1993.  If they were having money problems, they were their own creation, not that they didn't have the revenue.  I am all for Title IX, when it is about creating opportunities, but to see people take away opportunities is against the spirit of the law in my opinion.

With all the financial success that ND has had over the last 25 years, I remain disappointed that they haven't considered reinstating their wrestling program.  Until a Notre Dame wrestler takes the mat again, I will continue to hate.

Edited by KSchlosser

How can we ever live happy in this world without our precious sports?

And here we have yet another individual wanting to tell a University how it should spends its financial resources.

Consider this, from the article, real long and hard: “Yet Notre Dame got weary of committing the financial resources to carry a program it felt was unpopular on campus and waning in interest nationwide.”

It might come to some of you as a surprise, but not every wrestling match is a Jordan Burroughs-nail-biter in the Finals of the NCAAs.

Not every wrestling Dual is an Iowa vs. Penn. State, No. 2 vs. No. 1, on a Friday night in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

I know you are just disappointed, even angry like you said. But don’t just sit and wallow in hatred. MOVE ON!

Or, DO SOMETHING, more positive!

I ask you, did you ever used to FREQUENT the Notre Dame wrestling matches when they still had a team?

Ever contribute to their operating fund? NO, not your responsibility. But how have you supported them, or anything wrestling?

There are still solid programs around. Support one of them.

If ND is your alma mater, surely there are other great things still going on there that you can be happy about.

Their basketball team has become a viable force in the NCAA tournament and of course in the ACC.

Do you not care about that?

If not, then it’s no wonder why folks did not care about the wrestling....

Edited by JC

That's some topnotch ND hate right there. I have to say, as a Sooner fan, that I've long despised Notre Dame's overblown football tradition. Those guys haven't delivered the goods in over 25 years on the field. The fact that ND jacked over a guy I know and like (J.J. McGrew) just adds the cherry to the hate.

Anyway, I was surprised to see J.J. McGrew was interviewed for that article in 1992. I know J.J. What a cocky little **** he was. I was a HS stud, 17 years old, and ran into J.J. (who was about 12 at the time) in the wrestling room prior to a match. Everybody knew J.J. and his brothers, all were athletes (good family too, I still see Charlie McGrew from time to time). I say cocky because I was destroying everybody that year and I saw J.J. and remarked "Hey J.J....you keep improving and you might be as good as me someday!!" (I already knew he had won several state titles). JJ responded "I'm better than you are now!", despite giving up at least 50 pounds and 5 or 6 years. Long story short....we rolled around a little that day and J.J. learned why you don't talk **** to bigger guys :D He gave me a pretty good tussle though for a punk kid :D 

For the record JJ finished as a 2 time AA and won an NCAA title his senior year. Damn I was proud of him. Still am.

If ND is your alma mater, surely there are other great things still going on there that you can be happy about.

I got a feeling you are speaking of ND College, and not the University in South Bend.

He's talking about the jackholes in South Bend.

And here we have yet another individual wanting to tell a University how it should spends its financial resources.

Consider this, from the article, real long and hard: “Yet Notre Dame got weary of committing the financial resources to carry a program it felt was unpopular on campus and waning in interest nationwide.”

It might come to some of you as a surprise, but not every wrestling match is a Jordan Burroughs-nail-biter in the Finals of the NCAAs.

Not every wrestling Dual is an Iowa vs. Penn. State, No. 2 vs. No. 1, on a Friday night in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

I know you are just disappointed, even angry like you said. But don’t just sit and wallow in hatred. MOVE ON!

I ask you, did you ever used to FREQUENT the Notre Dame wrestling matches when they still had a team?

Ever contribute to their operating fund? NO, not your responsibility. But how have you supported them, or anything wrestling?

Their basketball team has become a viable force in the NCAA tournament and of course in the ACC.

Long live K. Schlosser.  All wrestlers should hate Notre Dame.  And Oregon too.  

Edited by silver-medal

Would love to hear this discussed on Mike and Mike....  What does Golic have to say?

Would love to hear this discussed on Mike and Mike.... What does Golic have to say?

Golic has mentioned previously that he would love to see wrestling back at this alma mater. I'm not sure how much he had publicly or privately pushed for it but I do know he had mentioned it on the show on the rare occasions when wrestling related news was topic worthy.

How can we ever live happy in this world without our precious sports?

Not every wrestling Dual is an Iowa vs. Penn. State, No. 2 vs. No. 1, on a Friday night in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

If ND is your alma mater, surely there are other great things still going on there that you can be happy about.

Some of the biggest dirt bags I know are ND alums. ND alums that I know that are not dirt bags are pretty strange. Anyone remember when ND was playing Navy are was up by almost 40 points with 2 minutes left in the game! ND had the ball on the 50 and on 4th down fake punted. After getting a first down the next play the quarterback threw a strike to a receiver for a touchdown. The drunken students started chanting 2--2--2. ND is a trucked up place.

came back because maybe I was a bit too hard on the original poster.

your school dropped the sport you are most passionate about. very hard feelings about that are understandable.

and I would not know, as my school/s have not dropped any sport I am passionate about.

... if there is nothing you can do about it ... perhaps just let it be.

(do you know that Serenity prayer?)

I was in the Soviet Union with the college student group tour during the summer of 1989. We bumped into the Notre Dame wrestling team in Moscow or Tbsibili- I couldn't recall which city. They were in Notre Dame wrestling training uniforms. That's how we recognized them. Few years later- they were gone.

The Notre Dame really put the money over anything. Greed after that 1988 football national championship season perhaps.

Then again, they really put the football over everything including rapes, money grabbing, etc. they just don't care. We already know that the priests are known to cover everything up to protect themselves.

Can you imagine if they joined the Big Ten as offered twice? They would have to swallow their prides to take the wrestling team back on. They are very fragile with prides, you know.

Edited by Buckeyebison

I also hate Alabama. Most Everything that you say about Notre Dame could be said about them. That was the cancellation that breached the dam. Only a couple of schools had dropped their program in the prior five years. (Kansas State dropped after being embarrassed, because their lone NCAA qualifier in 1973 hitchhiked to Seattle.)   But KSU was a pretty low visibility program, likely very poor compared to Alabama.

Can you imagine if they joined the Big Ten as offered twice? They would have to swallow their prides to take the wrestling team back on. They are very fragile with prides, you know.

Oft-repeated myth. There is no conference rule requiring membership for wrestling. Every school has it, but there is zero truth to there being a requirement to sponsor wrestling to be a member. A number of B1G schools don’t have sports that the rest of the conference does.

I even called Notre Dame admins a few years ago while researching expansion (prior to Rutgers and Maryland joining) and the ND senior administrators I spoke with made it clear they “had no desire to add programs that we had previously discontinued.”