WillieBoy

What other sport would most benefit a wrestler?

Plenty of HS wrestlers compete in other sports.

What sport would help the wrestling most?

My pick is Gymnastics. Flexibility, balance and muscle all pushed hard in gymnastics and these will be a big plus on the mat.

Maybe Cross Country for conditioning?

Don't see ice hockey helping much. ;-)

I'd imagine gymnasts would be awesome on the mat, due to their strength/balance. Little guys though. I'd imagine other grappling sports would help in wrestling as well, such as Judo, Ju-Jitsu (or as it's known in Israel: Us Jitsu).

Edited by TobusRex

Reece Humphrey was a hockey kid growing up, not starting wrestling until junior high.  He credited it for flexibility, strength, and mental toughness.  Jim never wanted his kids to wrestle because of him, he allowed them to do what they wanted to do and they fell in love with hockey first.  If Jordin doesnt wrestle, maybe Reece never gets off the ice.

There has to be a number of wrestlers in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and other Northern states that grew up playing hockey and wrestling.  I would imagine that more hockey players turned into wrestlers than wrestlers turned hockey.  In states like Iowa, Pennsylvania, and Ohio; it may go the other way.

Edited by KSchlosser

I know Realbuto (or was it Palacio) played Soccer for Cornell.. 

But I just don't see a lot of HS wrestlers who played Soccer (at HS level anyway). Certainly nowhere, near the Number of guys who FBall, CC, Track, Baseball, even LaCrosse.

I believe Gable was a YMCA state swim Champ. Might be hard to succeed at both these day (save in small states) but if one went thru enough training as a youth to have some success, those techniques could be useful just for training, without the pounding your body takes from running.

Water Polo obviously is a great conditioner, and as rugged as wrestling. Anyone know someone who does both? (at HS level)

Nordic Skiing is as fit a sport as there is, and burns tremendous calories. Still the seasons are the same.

Rowing has the same kind of benefits as swimming. Endurance in all parts of the body. The length of time for the standard 2,000 meters is 8-10 minutes, similar to wrestling. Problem is you may put extra, unwanted weight on the legs 

Weightlifting would help.  So would certain track events that require explosiveness (high/long jump, throwing, sprinting).  Soccer would probably help with footwork.  

I agree with the weightlifting, especially the Olympic style. The explosiveness needed for snatches and clean and jerks translates very well to a lot of wrestling throws. Training for Olympic lifts develops core strength like nothing else. Overhead squats, front squats, pulls from a variety of positions will enhance any wrestler's strength on the mat. Not many gyms left that cater to or even allow Olympic lift training. Lots of space, platforms and heavy duty bumper plates needed for heavy attempts aren't wanted or available in most commercial gyms. Some bumper plates can be found with the popularity of cross fit type training but platforms and space allowing for snatch attempts to go overhead and drop to the floor much harder to find.

Throwing sports, hammer, shot and discus would really work core strength and explosiveness too. Some similar benefit can be gained by the resurgence in kettle bell training ( so old , it's new again ).

Plenty of HS wrestlers compete in other sports.

What sport would help the wrestling most?

My pick is Gymnastics. Flexibility, balance and muscle all pushed hard in gymnastics and these will be a big plus on the mat.

Maybe Cross Country for conditioning?

I tried X-country in HS to get in shape for wrestling season. It's great for helping you run long distances; not so much carryover to the cardio required for wrestling. Better than nothing, but I would have been better off just wrestling to get into wrestling shape (or doing interval sprints or quarter mile runs).

Not sure if this sport is good for wrestling ... but wondering if wrestlers do well at it.  Pole Vault.    Jamming the pole down to get lift uses similar (but perhaps not all the same) muscles as climbing a rope / pulling a leg in.  Good upper body strength is important.  

Curious on people's thoughts .... any correlation here at all?

Not sure if this sport is good for wrestling ... but wondering if wrestlers do well at it.  Pole Vault.    Jamming the pole down to get lift uses similar (but perhaps not all the same) muscles as climbing a rope / pulling a leg in.  Good upper body strength is important.  

Curious on people's thoughts .... any correlation here at all?

I wrestled in high school, and pole vaulted.  My brother, who really excelled in wrestling in HS, still holds our HS record in the pole vault (set in 1973, IIRC); it's a really soft record, to be honest.  The problem is that to be a good pole vaulter, one needs quality running speed, which I have not seen in abundance in wrestlers.  The kinesthetic ability and proprioception in both activities is useful in both activities.

It's not that doing one helps the other in that regard, as the muscle skills are specific to each activity and really don't carry over.  Those who are good at one have the innate characteristics to be good at the other. 

Pole vault, for the upper body strength and body (motion) control.  Same reason many females in gymnastics become good vaulters.  

Plus ya have to be a bit nuts, which is another reason why wrestlers make great pole vaulters.  

Edited by stp