Sign in to follow this  
Truthteller

Congrats Keith Gavin as new Pitt Coach

I like it; and I think I read somewhere he was a philosophy major.  (Maybe he can bring in Dylan Palacio as an assistant?)

Seriously, though, sounds like he'll be a good fit at Pitt; he's got roots there, and in Pennsylvania (Lackawanna Trail), and he's got the work ethic.  I wish him all the best!

Edited by redblades

I thought about this as a possibility but didn't think it would ever happen given guy's of Flynn's and Santoro's caliber were seriously interested.

​In his latest mailbag, T.R. Foley reported that "the anxiety about the job's massive potential spurred Lehigh and Edinboro to announce plans to compensate and retain Pat Santoro and Tim Flynn respectively."  I may be mistaken, but I think both coaches pulled their names out of consideration before a selection was made.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I like it; and I think I read somewhere he was a philosophy major.  (Maybe he can bring in Dylan Palacio as an assistant?)

Seriously, though, sounds like he'll be a good fit at Pitt; he's got roots there, and in Pennsylvania (Lackawanna Trail), and he's got the work ethic.  I wish him all the best!

Or Milo or Plato.  

This is a great decision.  Head wrestling coach is a young man's game.  

Time will tell what a middle aged guy  like Dresser is able to do @ ISU.  Good luck to him. We know who will be doing the heavy lifting and it won't be him.  That model is simply too expensive for most schools.

I have hiked all around that area many times. Beautiful area. 

​In his latest mailbag, T.R. Foley reported that "the anxiety about the job's massive potential spurred Lehigh and Edinboro to announce plans to compensate and retain Pat Santoro and Tim Flynn respectively." I may be mistaken, but I think both coaches pulled their names out of consideration before a selection was made.

I don't really consider Foley that credible. But it is true that both those guys pulled out. Same with Bono. My surprise was that Pitt let them. They could've had one of those guys had they stepped up but they didn't.

I'm not saying Gavin isn't going to turn out to be a good choice, but he is much more of a gamble than the aforementioned proven coaches.

Keith is the choice and that is a fact.  All the other speculation on here about who turned the Job down is just that speculation.  Now is the time for Pitt fans to get behind Keith and not go to the "what might have been".  What I do know is that Keith went from HS to College and excelled through hard work and continued improvement.  I expect that he is a great example of someone in the Pitt program who improved significantly and knows what it takes for that to happen.  Only time will tell if this was a great choice but it is the choice.  NCAA Champion and U.S.A. World Team Member. Good luck Keith and H2P!!!

Anyone else a bit surprised that JasonMitchell hasn't posted a reaction to this? He was leading the charge on this board regarding this topic. Suppose he may not have the spare time some on this board have. We'll need to send out a search party if no posted reaction in 24 hours though.

OK, looking for a posse to form up and scour the Pittsburgh area.  Perhaps JasonM celebrated so hard with the Keith Gavin announcement he is passed out in a ditch somewhere after a long party binge ......  or he's distraught and wandering the woods.   Don't know.  Absence here is ...... alarming!

[Another option, he's restraining from posting since feels it could cause conflict given that the decision has been made and need to make the best of it!]