Sign in to follow this  
Truthteller

Congrats Keith Gavin as new Pitt Coach

Nice to see Pitt get their 4th choice...and from the PA hotbed of wrestling that is PA District 2.

Were you on the search committee?  Just because someone got an interview and in a particular order does not mean that was the choice.  I didn't hear of any offers!

Were you on the search committee?  Just because someone got an interview and in a particular order does not mean that was the choice.  I didn't hear of any offers!

OK, so it was merely rumors about Santoro, Flynn, and Bono from those 30-40 articles we've all seen out there.  Gotcha.  Yeah, um, ah ha, right... (chortle).

And District 2?  Please.  Their kids win districts with 36-0 records.  Then they have to wrestle D4/D11 kids with 25-10 records...and its 2 and out at Regionals.  Now THAT'S a feeder system.

For sure, Gavin is talented and an overachiever and by many reports a good coach.  But don't try to spin a fairy tale that he may have been Pitt's first choice.

OK, so it was merely rumors about Santoro, Flynn, and Bono from those 30-40 articles we've all seen out there.  Gotcha.  Yeah, um, ah ha, right... (chortle).

And District 2?  Please.  Their kids win districts with 36-0 records.  Then they have to wrestle D4/D11 kids with 25-10 records...and its 2 and out at Regionals.  Now THAT'S a feeder system.

For sure, Gavin is talented and an overachiever and by many reports a good coach.  But don't try to spin a fairy tale that he may have been Pitt's first choice.

Didn't say he was the first choice but was pointing out that you did not know which choice he was.   He could have been the fifth or sixth choice but he is the one who accepted the position so until something happens he is the only choice.  If I am hiring someone for a position I want someone who wants it and is not just someone coming in for an interview to possibly better their current position.

Edited by PAFAN01

I think coming out of D2 in Pa and rising to the level he achieved is an accomplishment and shows his talent and work ethic.  I wouldn't doubt he wasn't their first choice but I have heard good things about him from the standpoint of recruiting  and he definitely has the accomplishments to command respect.  I also like when a school picks an alum to run their program.  Good luck Keith!

Anyone else a bit surprised that JasonMitchell hasn't posted a reaction to this? He was leading the charge on this board regarding this topic. Suppose he may not have the spare time some on this board have. We'll need to send out a search party if no posted reaction in 24 hours though.

Haha - thanks for thinking of my safety! Just been a busy few days and quite honestly - still processing it a bit.

A guy I wrestled with asked if I thought it's a good hire and after thinking it thru - the best way that I can answer is this - in a vacuum, yes - I like the hire. In the context of the last few weeks and how certain things went down, it feels like we settled, and we did. That's not a bad thing - it's just a different point of reference from which the reaction comes.

I'm really more interested at this point to see how he fills out the staff. Kocher and Headlee were in his recruiting class and they were roommates - but I think keeping only them would be a mistake.

Recruiting is the key right now, and my hesitation with Gavin has always been that he's not an overly extroverted guy - so I'm not sure how that'll play in recruiting.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

Hopefully kocher stays on

Why 'hopefully'?  He didn't get any of their guys to AA this year, despite having a top-8 seed.  And Campbell up and left the team after the tournament.  And then you had the whole road trip screw-up.  Where was Kocher's value-add?