Sign in to follow this  
OhioSpladle

Bruce Baumgartner was amazing

Forgive me for the random post, but I am young. In terms of the all time greats I had always heard bruce had to be mentioned due to longevity, but I had no idea how good he was. My gosh two Olympic Golds and three world golds. A 4x Olympic medalist...I think whats most impressive to me is after he takes Silver in 88, instead of retiring with an 84' Gold under his belt, he comes back and wins the rematch in the semis of the 92 Olympics to win Gold again. I just can't believe a guy that was winning an Olympic gold in 84' was winning a world title in 95...

Willie Boy, I would have to disagree with you, John Smith and Bruce both have two Olympic Golds, John has 4 World Golds, and Bruce has 3. But even though Bruce is light by one World Gold, Bruce has a Olympic Siver, an Olympic Bronze, and has 3 World Silvers, and a World Bronze. So it's one World Gold verses two Olympic medals, and four World medals. So does one Gold beat all that? Not in my opinion.

He was a monster.  The Big Cat Tom Erikson finally was able to rep. the US in 97 after Bruce hung them up.  Tom could have done very well internationally as well, but he was in Bruce's shadow for many years.