Sign in to follow this  
powershouse

Rule change proposals

The NCAA Rules Committee has proposed a number of rule changes:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2017-04-14/ncaa-wrestling-rules-committee-recommends-stiffer-penalties

The emphasis in the press release is on the weight management rules, but the proposed change below jumped out at me:

"When in the neutral position, the referee will verbally announce a danger signal to any wrestler who becomes stationary on his back with his shoulders at an angle of 90 degrees or less to the mat surface. The verbal announcement will be followed by an audible three-count. If the referee reaches the third count and the wrestler is still on his back within the 90-degree angle, control will be considered to have been established and a takedown will be awarded."

The NCAA Rules Committee has proposed a number of rule changes:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2017-04-14/ncaa-wrestling-rules-committee-recommends-stiffer-penalties

The emphasis in the press release is on the weight management rules, but the proposed change below jumped out at me:

"When in the neutral position, the referee will verbally announce a danger signal to any wrestler who becomes stationary on his back with his shoulders at an angle of 90 degrees or less to the mat surface. The verbal announcement will be followed by an audible three-count. If the referee reaches the third count and the wrestler is still on his back within the 90-degree angle, control will be considered to have been established and a takedown will be awarded."

And this shall be known as "The Heil Rule". 

Ear protection

The committee proposed removing the current requirement that ear protection must be worn, and while it still recommends that all student-athletes wear the equipment in both practice and competition, it would be the student-athlete’s choice.   

“The committee still recommends the use of ear protection, but it has been proven that ear protection offers no protection when it comes to concussions,” Branch said. “In some cases, the ear protection may irritate or be abrasive to the athlete’s ears and promote cauliflower ear.  We felt our collegiate athletes are mature and educated enough to decide what is best for them and their particular situation.”

They should just change the text to "If you think the mushrooms on the side of your head are bad now just wait until you finish 5 years of college."

Ear protection

The committee proposed removing the current requirement that ear protection must be worn, and while it still recommends that all student-athletes wear the equipment in both practice and competition, it would be the student-athlete’s choice.   

“The committee still recommends the use of ear protection, but it has been proven that ear protection offers no protection when it comes to concussions,” Branch said. “In some cases, the ear protection may irritate or be abrasive to the athlete’s ears and promote cauliflower ear.  We felt our collegiate athletes are mature and educated enough to decide what is best for them and their particular situation.”

They should just change the text to "If you think the mushrooms on the side of your head are bad now just wait until you finish 5 years of college."

WTF is Branch talking about?  If headgear is abrasive to the ears, it is being worn incorrectly.  Ok, I could imagine maybe somebody has giant ears, but in that case the Uni should get a custom headgear for that person. Helmets are not optional in football, and headgear should not be optional in wrestling (in high school or NCAA competition).  

Edited by Billyhoyle

WTF is Branch talking about?  If headgear is abrasive to the ears, it is being worn incorrectly.  Ok, I could imagine maybe somebody has giant ears, but in that case the Uni should get a custom headgear for that person. Helmets are not optional in football, and headgear should not be optional in wrestling (in high school or NCAA competition).  

Yeah, that argument is so dumb. The "abrasive to the ears" argument is the one made by high school and college kids trying to talk their coach out of making them wear headgear, not something we should be hearing from the head of the rules committee.

Quetion, if defending and you drape over opponent's back and your head makes it down to the mat (say opponent is coming out back door), your shoulders are by definition pretty close to the mat, even if it is the top of your shoulders. This going to get a count?

I do like this overall. But curious about this position. May not have as many folks use this defense in future, let alone the leg pass.

Edited by nom

Ear protection

Interesting how they make a big deal about wrestler health & safety when talking about weight management, but forget about it when it comes to headgear.

Quetion, if defending and you drape over opponent's back and your head makes it down to the mat (say opponent is coming out back door), your shoulders are by definition pretty close to the mat, even if it is the top of your shoulders. This going to get a count?

I do like this overall. But curious about this position. May not have as many folks use this defense in future, let alone the leg pass.

You're still going to get a lot of scrambling and rolling around from a leg-pass but this will completely eliminate the crotch-lift hanging on you saw with Gulibon and Heil. 

They're going to have to have a good definition or interpretation of the word stationary. Was Heil completely stationary? He occasionally rocked his head back down to to the mat to push himself up before touching the mat with both shoulders for any length of time. (I'm not trying to relitigate whether he was pinned- the ref said no so take it from there). And since JG was pushing him down he must have been in motion.

Interesting how they make a big deal about wrestler health & safety when talking about weight management, but forget about it when it comes to headgear.

Ummm.... that's the whole point.  It's a myth that the headgear protects you from something.  Cauliflower ear is cosmetic.  

They're going to have to have a good definition or interpretation of the word stationary. Was Heil completely stationary? He occasionally rocked his head back down to to the mat to push himself up before touching the mat with both shoulders for any length of time. (I'm not trying to relitigate whether he was pinned- the ref said no so take it from there). And since JG was pushing him down he must have been in motion.

I'm hoping this rule applies more to leg passing and lying on your back clutching an ankle.

Problem with the headgear rule proposal is that many top coaches have cauliflower ears. Who is going to tell Brands, Sanderson, Smith, that their ears look stupid. I don't accept that headgear causes injury, that's just bullxhit! Properly fitting headgear prevents injury. Anyone that thinks otherwise is living in denial. In every way many parents don't let their kids wrestle because they associate wrestling with ear disfigurement. Numbers of wrestlers are down. This rule change will further kill the sport.

Would this committee be the one to propose the change to a one semester sport, or would that happen at some other level?

Definitely not, but not sure if the one who would propose the change is the Division I Wrestling Championships Committee or some other non-wrestling-specific committee.

Ummm.... that's the whole point.  It's a myth that the headgear protects you from something.  Cauliflower ear is cosmetic.  

Headgear, when used every time you get on the mat will protect your ears. The problem is most people never used it in practice from the youth level on up and now have giant toadstools on the sides of their heads. I wore mine every time I was on the mat except when wresting in freestyle competition and only have a small amount on the back side of each ear.

Headgear works if you use it always.  

Headgear, when used every time you get on the mat will protect your ears. The problem is most people never used it in practice from the youth level on up and now have giant toadstools on the sides of their heads. I wore mine every time I was on the mat except when wresting in freestyle competition and only have a small amount on the back side of each ear.

Headgear works if you use it always.

Exactly!