Sign in to follow this  
21guns

Ut oh! Big Transfer coming to PSU this week...

gene can't make 141!

Under the new rules, Gene can indeed make 141.  Just like Nato can make 125.  Much the same as Nato, Gene will go to 141 this summer under the new weigh in rules, and stay there for the upcoming season.

See how that works?

Even as a PSU fan I think this is getting ridiculous.  

It is, but the coach's job is to build the best team possible and when you win as much and have wrestlers appearing to have as much fun as what is happening at Penn State you are going to see guys want to jump on board the PSU Train, as CT Mopar likes to call it. If some stud 133 wants to join in the fun for his final year what is Sanderson supposed to do, say no? Ohio State just took in a transfer 165 from Pitt to fill a hole in their line up and they aren't going to just back down. Iowa isn't going anywhere, and neither is Ok State. 

There is a ton of upside to this. Cortez can now go to 141 if he so chooses and Nick Lee can redshirt. That is pretty substantial given the way talent is concentrating in a handful of very strong programs. That means that even after next year, which I assume will be very good for Penn State, PSU will still have the following for the 2018-2019 season:

Suriano 2 more years

RBY 4 more years

Teasdale 4 more years (with Busiello coming in the following year)  

Nick Lee 4 more years

Nolf 1 more year (with Brady Berge waiting with 4 more years)

Vincenzo Joseph 2 more years (with Joe Lee waiting with 4 more years)

Mark Hall 2 more years

Bo Nickal 1 more year (with Travis Wittlake waiting with 4 more years)

Cassar 2 more years (with Beard or Hoffman??? in the fold???)

Nick Nevills 1 more year (with Seth Nevills waiting with 4 more years) 

Hard to see when anyone is going to catch up with that kind of line up. I went thru 40 years of mediocrity (compared to what it could be) with PSU wrestling, plus never once in my life having a real winner to root for other than PSU football back in the day. I will enjoy the good times. 

Edited by TBar1977

PSU board is suggesting Keener from CMU.

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/corey_keener_896337.html

He's from Schuylkill Haven. He took a RS already, but his bio doesn't show anything for the 2014-15 season. Does he qualify for a hardship year for some reason? If so, it would work if he completes his degree this Spring. Not a hammer, but a better option than Law/ Carpenter. Also allows Cortez to move to 141, making it possible to RS Lee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

Is PSU starting to lose depth at all?  Just wondering  how many kids want to line up behind kids like Nickal, Nolf and Retherford.  In Cael's first 5 years, there was a lot of depth but I'm not sure that's still the same situation.  The other impressive thing about Cael's teams are they are relatively injury free.

I'm not sure how he can get a 6th year after competing in 3 NCAA championships, but I'd be happy to see what he could do at 133 next season, especially considering PSU will probable get very few wins otherwise. 

One thing has nothing to do with the other. 4 times would be an obvious problem but not 3. An interesting issue is that the first place you go to get "approval" is the conference. So, which one here? You can also go to the NCAA committee- made up of various school representatives.

I'm not sure how he can get a 6th year after competing in 3 NCAA championships, but I'd be happy to see what he could do at 133 next season, especially considering PSU will probable get very few wins otherwise.

If one of his two injured seasons was his RS season

Is PSU starting to lose depth at all?  Just wondering  how many kids want to line up behind kids like Nickal, Nolf and Retherford.  In Cael's first 5 years, there was a lot of depth but I'm not sure that's still the same situation.  The other impressive thing about Cael's teams are they are relatively injury free.

I think you're seeing kids who are more willing to sit for 2 seasons but work every day with studs to have a shot at a title rather than go to another program where they would start 4 years but have a lower ceiling and weaker work out partners.

I think you're seeing kids who are more willing to sit for 2 seasons but work every day with studs to have a shot at a title rather than go to another program where they would start 4 years but have a lower ceiling and weaker work out partners.

Who are these kids?

The PSU model is built on stars not depth.  Thus 5 champs (another potential champ hurt), and 3 weights that scored almost nothing.

That is not a knock.  It is a compliment.  Depth is easy to acquire if you're a top program, while nobody can coach up top recruits into stars like Cael can.  PSU has been amazing at getting the most out of talented guys.  They turn top talents into offensive machines.  Yes they might have missed on a few, but everyone else misses on a few also without hitting nearly as often.  

So yes PSU is amazing, no they are not known for depth.  

Who are these kids?

The PSU model is built on stars not depth.  Thus 5 champs (another potential champ hurt), and 3 weights that scored almost nothing.

That is not a knock.  It is a compliment.  Depth is easy to acquire if you're a top program, while nobody can coach up top recruits into stars like Cael can.  PSU has been amazing at getting the most out of talented guys.  They turn top talents into offensive machines.  Yes they might have missed on a few, but everyone else misses on a few also without hitting nearly as often.  

So yes PSU is amazing, no they are not known for depth.  

But Mike is correct, we are starting to see them build more depth now. This is why you see posts about how and where PSU gets their scholarship money, or why a kid would want to go to PSU just to sit behind another kid. Look at the post I made a few above yours. I listed a bunch of depth in that post, more than PSU has had previously, and I even forgot Mason Manville. 

Edited by TBar1977