SetonHallPirate

Boise State to drop wrestling

There isn't enough money here in Boise to stop this. Even ASU would have been gone for good had it now been for the big money booster. It's no secret around here that the BSU President is a big baseball fan. Once Randall was fired it was fairly clear that the AD and President were watching to see if the community would rally round the new coaching staff to see if the funding could be raise to make the facility improvements without university help. I'm not 100% positive but I believe the admin found out that wrestling couldn't support itself and they knew they weren't going to support anything but baseball moving forward.

Edited by uphillBronco

This sucks.  I feel bad for the coaches and kids.  Weak AD with an affinity towards baseball does this to the program.  This is like Oregon's Pat 'Killwrestling' part II.  A disgrace.

I got blasted for the world to see on Flo today by Christian and Willie, and even I don't care about that.

THIS, has got me bummed out big time.  This has been a bad day man.  NOT me, but another school dropping this mysterious, intense, and fantastic sport.

College baseball is about the most inefficient sport there is in terms of money.   This is particularly ironic in a era where universities and colleges are scrambling for money.  Baseball requires a huge high maintenance facility, tons of extremely expensive equipment, and does NOT have a great following in the vast majority of states.  I remember reading a story in a publication stating that baseball is a major money loser in nearly every college.

In addition, there will be big Title IX issues where militant women activists will be screaming for equal scholarships and investment.

What an incredibly STUPID decision.  This is a classic example of an athletic director that has no clue and is not suited for the job.  

Here are the Boise State Admin emails - let them know why Boise State has made a huge mistake cancelling wrestling. Not sure if anything can be done to change the decision but they should be held accountable and hear opinions.

President Bob Kustra

president@boisestate.edu

Athletic Director Curt Apsey

capsey@boisestate.edu

Assistant AD Bob Carney robertcarney@boisestate.edu

Media Relations Joe Nickell

joenickell@boisestate.edu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They announced the signing of Gaxiola yesterday (who wrestled at Buchanan hs and transferred from Cal Baptist), which was literally one day before they dropped the program.  WTF?

Sucks that Randal and those guys went from such a high in the program to such a low and left Boise in shambles, then Mendoza goes over there to rebuild and it gets dropped after a year.  Crazy.   

Boise Wrestling:

1. No fans

2. No spectators at home meets

3. Money loser

4. No media exposure

5. No alumni financial support

6. Traveling expenses high

Why would an AD want to keep a sport that only wrestling maniacs are interested in? BTW, us wrestling maniacs are starting to die off. We need to listen to Wade.

1. No fans

2. No spectators at home meets

3. Money loser

4. No media exposure

5. No alumni financial support

6. Traveling expenses high

This list can be used for many non-revenue sports at many institutions.

College baseball is about the most inefficient sport there is in terms of money.   This is particularly ironic in a era where universities and colleges are scrambling for money.  Baseball requires a huge high maintenance facility, tons of extremely expensive equipment, and does NOT have a great following in the vast majority of states.  I remember reading a story in a publication stating that baseball is a major money loser in nearly every college.

In addition, there will be big Title IX issues where militant women activists will be screaming for equal scholarships and investment.

What an incredibly STUPID decision.  This is a classic example of an athletic director that has no clue and is not suited for the job.  

I would think baseball and wrestling rosters are pretty similar. Boise already has W Softball

------------------------------------------------

How many of the remaining programs are not 100%, or near 100% endowed? (yeah I know about Notre Dame - I doubt that will happen again) . 

I don't even know what to say.  I just had an email conversation with Coach Mendoza a couple days ago and we were talking about the recruits they had coming in the fall like #8 ranked Heavyweight Kevin Vough and others, and how the rebuilding of the program was really taking shape.  And then this happens ...

I feel terrible for Coaches Mendoza and Orozco who uprooted themselves and their families from California and gave everything they had to BSU wrestling.  I feel terrible for the athletes who just wanted to follow their dreams to compete at the D1 college level and are having the rug pulled out from under them.  And I feel terrible for the recruits that committed to wrestle for Boise State (several in just the last week) who are now going to have to completely change their plans.  And I'm really going to miss going to dual meets and seeing some incredible wrestling.

When I moved to Idaho 17 years ago, I knew that Boise State had a D1 wrestling program because I'd seen Kirk White win a national championship on tv the year before, and I thought I'd check it out.  The first home dual meet of the season was against #1 ranked Minnesota and I thought that would be pretty cool.  I really had no idea what to expect.  There were about 1200 fans packed up to the rafters of the Old Bronco Gym.  It was possibly the most exciting sporting event I've ever attended.  Even going up against the #1 team in the nation the Boise State wrestlers were fearless and gave it everything they had, and they won 4 out of 10 matches that night.  The best match was at 174 pounds with BSU's Pat Owens vs. #15 ranked Kraft.  Owens was a freshman but he'd spent 4 years in the Marines greco program and was tough.  Owens went out and thrashed Kraft from one end of the mat to the other and in the third period Owens dumped Kraft hard out of bounds.  The crowd was going nuts, and Kraft actually refused to get back up and finish the match until J Robinson literally went over and growled at him.  It was clear that Kraft feared Coach J a lot more than his opponent.  Quite a night.