Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Best NCAA Wrestlers who Never won an NCAA title

Lloyd "Butch" Keaser - Navy. NCAA 3rd & 4th. World Champion 1973 in Iran. After he beat the Russian in the finals the Iranian fans hoisted onto their shoulders and carried him around the arena in celebration. Also Olympic Silver medal 1976.

AA at the Academy, but World and Olympic medals as a Marine Corps officer!

Most won't agree, but I'll also say Mike Zadick. On paper, 7/7/3 finishes doesn't sound that impressive (relatively speaking), but watching him wrestle in person was a different perspective. He just kept running into Percival, who was a bad style match-up for him (as well as a great wrestler in his own right).

Most won't agree, but I'll also say Mike Zadick. On paper, 7/7/3 finishes doesn't sound that impressive (relatively speaking), but watching him wrestle in person was a different perspective. He just kept running into Percival, who was a bad style match-up for him (as well as a great wrestler in his own right).

He wrestled Percival only once in college when he lost to him in the quarterfinals in 2002.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wAQ6XXVuAc

Scott Moore may not be the greatest to never win a title overall, but his senior season is one of the greatest non title seasons in my book. Kudos to Iowa's Cliff Moore for derailing that train, and decisively, in NCAA semi-finals, but 51-1, 34 pins, Gorriaran award  (3 pins in less than 5 minutes total, including over 5th placer Gallick and 4th placer Mester), win in all-star over Teyon Ware....Scott Moore was a bad man and that was an ass kicking season. 

Mike Mann 2 time runner-up to Bush and then Ed Banach both from Iowa. Think his finals losses were the only times those two got him (I know that's true for Banach, Mann beat him 3x that season and then Banach beat him 4-3 in finals)

Steve St John is another wrestler I was a fan of who deserves mention here. Rd of 12 up a weight as a freshman, 4th as a soph, 3rd as a junior, 2nd to Kolat as a senior. Upset Ironside two different seasons at NCAAs.   

Had a horrible knee injury that prevented him from being 100%.  Wrestled in HS with him, he was incredible. 

He wrestled Percival only once in college when he lost to him in the quarterfinals in 2002.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wAQ6XXVuAc

You'd be amazed at some of the matches I remember that actually never took place.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/24/the-mandela-effect/

Edited by Fletcher