Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Best NCAA Wrestlers who Never won an NCAA title

If anything, this just goes to show how special this particular era is for us fans.  The list of greats that never won an NCAA championship is already super impressive, and we're only on page 2.  Think about:

a.) Retherford is doing

b.) Dake's 4x and Stieber's 4x, running nearly concurrently

c.) What Kyle Snyder is doing (quite frankly, when comparing to history, is entering a new echelon of greatness territory)

d.) What IMART has done, 1,1,2,?

e.) What Cox just did (1,5,1,1)

f.)  What Heil is doing

g.) The "rise" in volume of HS age kids that can "compete" with NCAA Champions (Lee, Fix, Pico, Arujau, Yianni, Snyder, Hall, Martin, etc. etc. etc.)

All of this is happening now, or just recently happened.  And then, we look back on history, and see all of these "greats" and their inability to accomplish.

Here's my question:  Was there simply more "parity" then, or are the greats of this era truly executing technique, skill, strength, determination to a greater degree and we are witnessing some of the best individual wrestler's of all time, all at the same time? 

Given the evolution of our sport's technique, new strength training regimens, the ongoing pyramid scheme of mentorship, the rise of OTC's, etc., my gut is telling me that we are seeing (without truly realizing it) that our production of the highest level wrestlers is actually "higher" than in yesteryear. 

Colin Kilrain was one of Lehigh's great wrestlers in the early 80s.  3X NCAA 3rd (I think he was seeded 1st 2 Xs) 4X EIWA Champ,  Lost in NCAA semis all 3 years.  Had wins over Ed Banach. Great athlete great guy. Originally from Massachusets which was unusual then.

Interesting..I wonder who has the most losses at the NCAA tournament. Maximum is 12.

vague recall of this being a discussion topic way back (or maybe more than once). Not sure if this is your winner, but hard to beat:  Mammen Hvy from Ok St '89-'92 had 11. (2 6th places, 1 8th, 1 5th)  

Randy Stottlemeyer was sixth three times. in 74-77-78 FFT the 5th place match all 3 years. In 76 he (3rd seed) lost in the consolation quarterfinals by 13-1 to Cysewski , Iowa, unseeded (indicating he was less than 100%. Had there been a 7-8 match he was would have faced 4th seed Gonzales, UCLA. Very good chance Randy loses or ffts the bout and ends with the max 12 loses.   

Colin Kilrain was one of Lehigh's great wrestlers in the early 80s.  3X NCAA 3rd (I think he was seeded 1st 2 Xs) 4X EIWA Champ,  Lost in NCAA semis all 3 years.  Had wins over Ed Banach. Great athlete great guy. Originally from Massachusets which was unusual then.

He's a good one.   

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/09/kilrain-promoted-special-ops-commander-nato-belgium.html 

Pretty successful wife as well:

https://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/kilrain.html 

Nick Simmons comes to mind.  The East Lansing strangler (4 X AA) was just miserable o deal with on the mat, but did not manage to bring a title home.   Shame, really.   

It's a shame Keller didn't knock his head off