Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Burroughs or Dake

You're comparing Joe Heskett to Kyle Dake?

Joe Williams to Burroughs?

In a way yes. I bet you your lunch that Burroughs doesn't come close to Williams world team spots and who was the bridesmaid for most of them? Enter Joe Heskett Dake. If Dake doesn't make it this year then the bridesmaid comparisons will start. He has got to win the Open next week. This will be his best chance. Hope he doesn't crack under the pressure like Taylor does in huge matches. But Taylor is not expected to beat a well rested Cox. Williams was more powerful than Burroughs and those guys last longer into their 30s. Burroughs strength is speed which goes first. My bet is we do not see Burroughs again on a world team unless he or Dake go up to 175 next year.

Edited by PRyan2012

Historically, except for Bruce, Americans who are World champs usually have runs of 4-6 years of dominance (Kemp then D Schultz then Monday, or Smith) till they are retired/beaten. So I think we'll see a changing of the guard. Burroughs is fading (like Smith although he managed to win in Barcelona-but he struggled to even make the team, and he suffered a loss to Reinoso at the Games)

From what I've seen Burroughs has looked bad only once and that was vs abdurakmanov who he had teched earlier that year so he was obviously a bit out of it after his close lose to Gedeuv. He may have had some close matches at the World Cup but I think people forget he had a bunch of close matches in his title run years.

I think Burroughs has the mental edge. I'm picking Jordan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've seen Burroughs has looked bad only once and that was vs abdurakmanov who he had teched earlier that year so he was obviously a bit out of it after his close lose to Gedeuv. He may have had some close matches at the World Cup but I think people forget he had a bunch of close matches in his title run years.

I think Burroughs has the mental edge. I'm picking Jordan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he may still be winning but he hasn't at all looked like the guy that won 3 world titles and the Olympics recently

That's one match. The Olympics plus the World Cup covers a pretty good stretch of matches.

He lost in 2014 and he almost lost a couple more times that day. He's never been one to completely dominate. Did I miss something, did he lose at the World Cup?

He lost in 2014 and he almost lost a couple more times that day. He's never been one to completely dominate. Did I miss something, did he lose at the World Cup?

Of course he "completely dominated". He opened up his international career with 3 consecutive undefeated seasons. He's the only U.S. wrestler to do that.

One day of not looking good vs. multiple tournaments, including the biggest of them all (Olympics). The length of this stretch of seemingly significantly-less-than-his-best wrestling is a first for Burroughs on this level.

While by his own admission JB has lost a bit, other than the flame out in his last Olympic match, he lost a close match to Guedev, and beat everybody at the world cup. He isn't just an athlete with a power double and lace, the guy can actually wrestle and manufacture wins. This is why I pick him. I might be proven wrong but I also think the more deliberate technical style he wrestles now, is a good way to wrestle Dake. 

Is this the match of the tournament?  I think so.  

Will the tournament be seeded?  

Will they both get to the match?  Will Dieringer change tactics?  Dake clearly adjusted his the last time they wrestled.  Left arm pulled way back if I recall.  Dieringer was dead in the water from that it seemed.  Really crazy.

Edited by nom

It is seeded. It will be interesting to see the seeds.  After JB & KD, it seems a crap shoot.   Some order of AD, Quinton Godley, Kevin Lavalley, Chris Perry, Vladyslav Dombrovskiy?

Edited by Plasmodium

he may still be winning but he hasn't at all looked like the guy that won 3 world titles and the Olympics recently

It's not just that. His biggest edge, and perhaps only real edge, versus Dake was that blast double from anywhere, including the knees. I can't remember every single move of his in competition since he last looked good (for JB), but I believe he may have only hit that signature double once or twice including the Olympics. Either he's holding back or he doesn't have that unbeatable weapon at his disposal anymore. It's really the only move he needs to beat Dake (or anyone, for that matter), and if it's not up to par, JB is very vulnerable, especially against a guy as good as Dake.

I picked Dake, but I'm not that confident because it's not yet clear whether JB can still hit his patented move at peak effectiveness or not. Two competitions is not enough data.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

It's not just that. His biggest edge, and perhaps only real edge, versus Dake was that blast double from anywhere, including the knees. I can't remember every single move of his in competition since he last looked good (for JB), but I believe he may have only hit that signature double once or twice including the Olympics. Either he's holding back or he doesn't have that unbeatable weapon at his disposal anymore. It's really the only move he needs to beat Dake (or anyone, for that matter), and if it's not up to par, JB is very vulnerable, especially against a guy as good as Dake.

I picked Dake, but I'm not that confident because it's not yet clear whether JB can still hit his patented move at peak effectiveness or not. Two competitions is not enough data.

agreed he's upped his game with that great leg lace from the double leg as well which allowed him to put away matches in the past so if he can't get to it at least once it could be a very tough match for him

I honestly see this as a toss-up this year.  JB being "down" slightly based on past performances, and Dake, coming back down from 86kg, with a chip on his shoulder. 

Whoever wins will be a great Team USA representative and will make us proud.  Steel sharpens steel, and we "may" see a changing of the guard. 

Well I think KD's last outing was the Paris tourney, which he looked pretty good at. I think JB's was the World Cup which he didn't look as good as we are used to seeing him, but he persevered and won all his matches. So I think that was a huge boost to his state of mind. My thought is this, if JB's game has fallen off this might be curtains for him. However, if not, I think JB hold's the psychological edge between the two due to his many wins against KD. So I believe if things are going to change between them, KD really needs to have analyzed every aspect of JB and needs to have the strategy and game plan to get by JB.