• 1,572 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

#2 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

If you want to keep selling ear protecting head gear, find a way to add concussion protection. MY suggestion is to incorporate something like the old bicycle "hairnet" helmet.

http://www.labicycle...meback-sort-of/

#3 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:11 AM

If you want to keep selling ear protecting head gear, find a way to add concussion protection. MY suggestion is to incorporate something like the old bicycle "hairnet" helmet.

http://www.labicycle...meback-sort-of/

Here you go:

http://batstoi.com/

#4 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

Pretty neat. I take it most of the structure is a very firm "rubber" with plastic over the ears.

#5 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:36 AM

Pretty neat. I take it most of the structure is a very firm "rubber" with plastic over the ears.

Yes. This headgear will also provide a degree of concussion protection as well as preventing cauliflower ear. This would be good for our sport.

#6 HawkFanactic1

HawkFanactic1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

We should just remove headgear from wrestling in general. It's a waste of time and extremely uncomfortable. The beginning of cauliflower can be stopped with rest, ice/heat, and potentially draining if needed.

#7 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

We should just remove headgear from wrestling in general. It's a waste of time and extremely uncomfortable. The beginning of cauliflower can be stopped with rest, ice/heat, and potentially draining if needed.

Nope

#8 rpbobcat

rpbobcat
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

I wore head gear for every practice and match in high school and college.

Never thought it was uncomfortable.

As far as your comments on cauliflower ear.

1.If you begin to get it during the season,how do you rest ?

2.Draining has a number of potential issues,including infection.

MRSA loves openings like injection sites.

When I was wrestling in high school and college concussions weren't an issue.

I don't know how prevalent they are today.

Cauliflower ear was a big concern.

When I wrestled, we were required to wear headgear,whenever we were on the mat.

Not one person on any team I wrestled on got cauliflower ear.

That says it all for me.

Edited by rpbobcat, 23 April 2017 - 09:51 PM.

• leshismore likes this

#9 HawkFanactic1

HawkFanactic1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

Concussions have always been an issue, it's not like they just popped up 5 years ago. People just didn't recognize the significance of "getting your bell rung." Let's not be ridiculous here.

#10 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Mangled ears are great conversation starters

#11 WRfan1

WRfan1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

The last thing we should do it start to put wrestlers in Batsto helmets/headgear and have them start banging even harder on each other.  The development of the helmet in football has directly led to the increases in concussions as players begain using the helmet and head as a weapon.  

#12 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

The last thing we should do it start to put wrestlers in Batsto helmets/headgear and have them start banging even harder on each other.  The development of the helmet in football has directly led to the increases in concussions as players begain using the helmet and head as a weapon.  

This argument is true in football but does not apply in wrestling.  There are no high speed collisions in wrestling that become more likely with head protection.  The number of shots to the head absolutely will not increase with a helmet in wrestling.

#13 HawkFanactic1

HawkFanactic1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

They say that lineman have the worst CTE of any and they have far fewer instances of high speed collisions. Anybody who actually knows anything knows that it is the small, frequently "head traumas" that cause CTE more than anything.

It will certainly increase and I wouldn't put that headgear on my dog, let alone my son.

#14 rpbobcat

rpbobcat
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:32 PM

As I said before,when I wrestled in high school and college,concussions weren't an issue.

I don't remember anyone ever getting their "bell rung".

Does anyone know if there are any statistics on the number of concussions in high school and college wrestling each year ?

Also,does wrestling use the same concussion protocols as other sports?

#15 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:12 PM

As I said before,when I wrestled in high school and college,concussions weren't an issue.

Does anyone know if there are any statistics on the number of concussions in high school and college wrestling each year ?

According this study, men's wrestling has the highest concussion rate of all college sports.

#16 rpbobcat

rpbobcat
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:13 AM

If i'm reading this Study  correctly,wrestling has 10.92 concussions per 10,000 "athletic exposures".

Athletic exposure is defined as one athlete ,participating in one game or practice.

If my math is correct,that's about a 0.12 % chance of getting a concussion at any one practice or match.

That doesn't seem like a high percentage,given the nature of the sport and the number of practices and matches per season.

The study raised a number of interesting points:

1.There was no way to tell whether increases in the number of concussions were  based on an increased frequency,or increased reporting.

2. 68% of the reported concussions were from "player contact".

It would have been nice to see a breakdown of how the other 32% occurred.

3.Most concussions occur in practice.

i would expect this,given the ratio of practice time to match time.

4.I only read the "Abstract",but I was surprised that the "Conclusion" didn't say one way or the other whether they felt the numbers showed an "issue" with concussions.

As I also asked,does anyone know if wrestling has to follow concussion protocols ?

Edited by rpbobcat, 25 April 2017 - 12:14 AM.

#17 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:19 AM

I recall that Kutler was following concussion protocol late last season.  Why wouldn't it extend to wrestling?

#18 HawkFanactic1

HawkFanactic1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:39 AM

Then you likely suffer from some yourself. There have been concussions since the dawn of time, only recently have we realized what they were and just how serious they are.

#19 rpbobcat

rpbobcat
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

Then you likely suffer from some yourself. There have been concussions since the dawn of time, only recently have we realized what they were and just how serious they are.

Why the insult ?

I never said concussions weren't serious.

All I said was that they weren't an issue when I wrestled in high school or college.

I would also say that, based on the study referenced here,a 0.12% chance of getting a concussion, each time you step on a mat,shows  they aren't  that prevalent.

That's not to say that every effort shouldn't be made to make that number as low as possible,but injuries of all kinds come with this and any other contact sport.You know that going in.

If get a concussion,you have to decide if you want to continue in the sport.

If you're prone to concussions,common sense tell you not to continue.

Edited by rpbobcat, 25 April 2017 - 02:56 AM.

#20 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

And here I thought this was going to be a post on wrestlers from whatever colleges who are ordered by the Court to do community service as part of their sentencing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users