Sign in to follow this  
2nd4x

Clarion U. assistant coach

The word in the clarion wrestling camp is that Troy Letters hired Keith Ferraro as assistant coach.

Keith wrestled at near by Brookville high school where he was serving as assistant coach the last few years. His college wrestling time was spent at Lock Haven where he had a career record of 6-8 in 2 seasons.

not a household name in wrestling circles, but Keith is the son of Late Brookeville coach Lenny Ferraro. Keith's ties with Letters go back to their youth with Robbie Waller & Rob Waller Sr. wrestling camps program.

I don't know all the particulars surrounding the assistant position at Clarion (namely salary), and no offense to Mr. Ferraro, but what about someone who can assist in raising the profile of the team on a national level?

I would assume that Mr. Ferraro is tied into PA high school wrestling extremely well. This could serve to be extremely important for recruiting at a place like Clarion. With Clarion not having the most stellar recruiting budget the guys they go after need to be in state.

I don't know all the particulars surrounding the assistant position at Clarion (namely salary), and no offense to Mr. Ferraro, but what about someone who can assist in raising the profile of the team on a national level?

Some teams hire guys for that reason, and then those guys don't know how to do anything but show moves in the wrestling room and have type A personalities. Give the guy a chance, heck if he is like me (although his record is still way better then mine in college), he probably has met a lot of people over the years with all the "downtime" during tournaments and has probably networked very well. I hope he does well for Clarion and that it works out well for the school as well.

Keith Ferraro is a great guy and a good coach. He is the son of the Late Lenny Ferraro who was the head coach at Brookville HS and was building them into a dynasty at the time a heart attack took him at 46. Lenny created the Brookville Duals one of the premier Dual tournaments in PA.

Keith is a sharp guy and a gentlemen, being from the area he should do well recruiting some of the northern PA kids.

I think you guys are being a little too touchy here. No one is saying that Ferraro isn't well-connected or can't do the job, but Clarion backers have been on these boards crying about consistency and the future of the program on more than one occasion over the years. The ability to recruit in one state out of 50 doesn't bode well for great odds with future success of the team, even if they have a limited budget. Heck, Threadkilla said, "... he should do well recruiting some of the northern PA kids." Northern PA recruits alone is not going to make Clarion a top-10 to 15 team, especially with PSU in your back yard. Immediately I thought about guys like Cory Cooperman or even a guy like former-Illini Mark Jayne; both of these guys can go with just about any light weight Clarion will have, as well as having previously developed multi-state connections and have proven that they can develop guys. Heck, I have to wonder what Mike Zadick is doing now that he's no longer a Hawkeye AND he's former world silver medalist and Olympian.

I have no dog in the fight and wish Troy, Keith and Clarion nothing but the best. I want to see all college wrestling programs do well. The hire just seems exceedingly queer to me on the face of it.